* * 2011-2012 Letter of Recommendation Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's strange. I know it's different than MD but you send in the LORs WITH the AMCAS (I though schools would want to see the LOR before secondaries)

Especially since LORs are required for some DO schools.

Some DO schools (i.e. LECOM) don't make you send you LORs until interview invite. Just different ways of going abou things I guess. If I am correct, isn't interfolio and AMCAS intertwined? Like you guys don't have to pay for deliveries and such right?

Members don't see this ad.

Some DO schools (i.e. LECOM) don't make you send you LORs until interview invite. Just different ways of going abou things I guess. If I am correct, isn't interfolio and AMCAS intertwined? Like you guys don't have to pay for deliveries and such right?

In Amcas, you just pay one lump fee for everything. (LOR and everything else)

Don't think people going for MD even know about Interfolio. It's more for DO

Pretty sure interfolio and AACOMAS is intertwined because you send LORs to the same exact place and suite number as you send AACOMAS transcripts but you still have to pay. For AMCAS you send your LORs in with primary so they are there own interfoliio and you don't have to pay per school. Interfolio is a set fee per year (don't remember what the fee is) and $6 per school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it $6 per LOR per school? So if you need to send 2 science LOR + 1 physician LOR to the same school, it would cost $18?

No it is $6 per submission. So if you send 2 science now, and 1 doctor tomorrow it is $12. All three now, $6.

WTF!!

I'm gonna have to ask Interfolio tomorrow.... Either you or my school has it twisted.

My school recommends sending each committee letter out to each school for DO (3 dollars per school)

HOWEVER, I would have to send physician letters separately through interfolio.

So if what you're saying is correct I would be paying 9 dollars rather the just 6 going through JUST interfolio

you don't HAVE to use it by any means, but once you get everything uploaded, it is crazy easy and way fast. I put in to have my 3 letters sent to X school, and they have them the next day.

WTF!!

I'm gonna have to ask Interfolio tomorrow.... Either you or my school has it twisted.

My school recommends sending each committee letter out to each school for DO (3 dollars per school)

HOWEVER, I would have to send physician letters separately through interfolio.

So if what you're saying is correct I would be paying 9 dollars rather the just 6 going through JUST interfolio

not exactly sure what you are asking. if you have your committee letter sent or uploaded to interfolio, you can send it out with everything each time. if your school is charging you $3 per, that is LAME.

not exactly sure what you are asking. if you have your committee letter sent or uploaded to interfolio, you can send it out with everything each time. if your school is charging you $3 per, that is LAME.

So my school has its own LOR service, it costs $10 per submission, and its not Interfolio or Virtual evals, do you think the schools would mind it if I used my school's service? or do i have to use one of the two mentioned above?

So my school has its own LOR service, it costs $10 per submission, and its not Interfolio or Virtual evals, do you think the schools would mind it if I used my school's service? or do i have to use one of the two mentioned above?

they won't mind. they won't even mind if you just asked for 20 copies of everything and sent them in yourself. many people don't use interfolio. I only did because i didn't want to deal with telling each LOR writer where to send everything and have that cost go on them, nor did I want them to think I wanted a bunch so I could read them. if your school does it, it is perfectly fine to use them.

if your school doesn't, you still don't have to use interfolio. I will give my shameless plug though because it really is super easy.

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if anybody has received secondaries from NYCOM, Pikeville, or TouroCOM-NY. My primary was released on 8/26 and I've already gotten other supplemental applications so just curious if I am being too antsy.

Thanks a bunches

I haven't gotten pikeville's or NYCOM's, but I did get TUCOM-NY. I submitted on 8/18

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if anybody has received secondaries from NYCOM, Pikeville, or TouroCOM-NY. My primary was released on 8/26 and I've already gotten other supplemental applications so just curious if I am being too antsy.

Thanks a bunches

I got Pikeville's about two to three weeks ago. I haven't gotten anything from NYCOM and my primary was released on 7/14. Be patient, some schools aren't as quick getting their secondaries out... and from what I have gathered, Touro-NY usually gives secondaries to those who they plan on interviewing.

I got Pikeville's about two to three weeks ago. I haven't gotten anything from NYCOM and my primary was released on 7/14. Be patient, some schools aren't as quick getting their secondaries out... and from what I have gathered, Touro-NY usually gives secondaries to those who they plan on interviewing.
NYCOM's secondary is on their website

Basically I have 2 options to send LORs. I just called Interfolio to confirm your advice.

Just Interfolio:
School LOR + Physician LOR = 6 dollars
Total: 6 dollars

Doing it seperately:

School LOR through school = 3 dollars
Interfolio /physician LOR = 6 dollars
Total: 9 dollars

Doesn't make sense to do it seperately

Last edited:
Basically I have 2 options to send LORs. I just called Interfolio to confirm your advice.

Just Interfolio:
School LOR + Physician LOR = 6 dollars
Total: 6 dollars

Doing it seperately:

School LOR through school = 3 dollars
Interfolio /physician LOR = 6 dollars
Total: 9 dollars

Doesn't make sense to do it seperately

Have your school send your committee letter to Interfolio.. it really is super easy. That way you don't have to keep contacting your school to send out the LORs, just get online and do it in 3 clicks.

Can someone confirm you send LORs with secondaries?

I talked to someone at a DO school and they said they didn't care but sending them in with primaries would be good (Just to get them in faster)..... Any advice would be great.

Can someone confirm you send LORs with secondaries?

I talked to someone at a DO school and they said they didn't care but sending them in with primaries would be good (Just to get them in faster)..... Any advice would be great.

You submit them with your secondaries. You can submit earlier if you want to (I submitted them ~2 weeks before I submitted my secondaries), but I don't think they look at your LORs until they look at your secondaries.

You submit them with your secondaries. You can submit earlier if you want to (I submitted them ~2 weeks before I submitted my secondaries), but I don't think they look at your LORs until they look at your secondaries.

I wish a place had a timeline for this. It's amazing to me how not a SINGLE SCHOOL tells you when to send them in. I have been looking all over and can't find a single answer. (Except here)

Do most places just give secondaries regardless? Is that why you sent it early?

I wish a place had a timeline for this. It's amazing to me how not a SINGLE SCHOOL tells you when to send them in. I have been looking all over and can't find a single answer. (Except here)

Do most places just give secondaries regardless? Is that why you sent it early?

Well, my school's pre-medical committee just sends out my pre-medical LOR and one DO shadowing LOR to all schools I designate via Virtual Evals, so I didn't pay per school or per letter. It was one flat fee, whether I applied to one school or 20 schools. They sent them out right after I had a pre-medical interview with my school, which ended up being 2 weeks before I sent out my secondaries.

If you need advice on the application process itself (I've seen you posting a few questions on different threads), please feel free to shoot me a PM. I will try my best to answer your all of your questions.

Hey guys, I have a question about submitting LORs for D.O. schools. I know for MD, you submit them directly into AMCAS and they submit them to the schools for you. For D.O., do you submit letters once you receive a secondary or do you do it as part of your primary application? Thanks

Hey guys, I have a question about submitting LORs for D.O. schools. I know for MD, you submit them directly into AMCAS and they submit them to the schools for you. For D.O., do you submit letters once you receive a secondary or do you do it as part of your primary application? Thanks

Usually after you get your secondary. Some schools (e.g. LECOM) don't want them until you get an interview.

To be on the safe side of things, how many and what kind of letters of recommendation do I need?

If you want to cover all your bases:

1 Letter from D.O.
2 Letters from Science Professors
1 Letter from Dean's Office or Committee Packet

These will typically get you complete at 90+% of D.O. schools. You can get by with less. I applied to 14 schools with 1 M.D. Letter, and 2 Science Professor Letters.

If you want to cover all your bases:

1 Letter from D.O.
2 Letters from Science Professors
1 Letter from Dean's Office or Committee Packet

These will typically get you complete at 90+% of D.O. schools. You can get by with less. I applied to 14 schools with 1 M.D. Letter, and 2 Science Professor Letters.

This is a good list.

I'd also add a non-science professor as well.

regarding getting a letter from a DO/MD physician. I've told two people my difficulty finding a doctor to shadow, nevermind getting a letter of rec. my pre-med advisor said something to the effect of "oh don't worry about it, you don't need it, we tell them every year at conferences how ridiculous and difficult the requirement is". another student who graduated from touro said he never got a letter either. are both of these guys wrong?

Quick question regarding NSU: I received an interview invite from NSU without having submitted my LORS. Does this school only require LOR after the interview date is set?

So I just graduated in May and I'm having a difficult time getting in touch with a science teacher at my 4 year university, but I'm taking an extra science course at a community college in my gap year, and I was wondering if I can have my professor at the community college write one for me. I'm just concerned schools might look down on that I have a letter from a CC, not my 4 year university, and also worried with the fact that my school's pre-med committee won't accept a letter of rec from a teacher outside my school. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

regarding getting a letter from a DO/MD physician. I've told two people my difficulty finding a doctor to shadow, nevermind getting a letter of rec. my pre-med advisor said something to the effect of "oh don't worry about it, you don't need it, we tell them every year at conferences how ridiculous and difficult the requirement is". another student who graduated from touro said he never got a letter either. are both of these guys wrong?

if the school says you need a physician letter, you better get a physician letter. If the school says they require a DO letter, you better get a DO letter. I have an MD letter and have 7 interviews, but if you are looking to cover your bases, a DO letter will be accepted at every DO school, where the MD letter is accepted at roughly half.

Quick question regarding NSU: I received an interview invite from NSU without having submitted my LORS. Does this school only require LOR after the interview date is set?

you must have great stats, but you likely need to submit the letters before the interview like every other school. And if you don't need to, it would be smart to submit them beforehand so you aren't easily rejected without them.

So I just graduated in May and I'm having a difficult time getting in touch with a science teacher at my 4 year university, but I'm taking an extra science course at a community college in my gap year, and I was wondering if I can have my professor at the community college write one for me. I'm just concerned schools might look down on that I have a letter from a CC, not my 4 year university, and also worried with the fact that my school's pre-med committee won't accept a letter of rec from a teacher outside my school. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

wait, so you need a LOR for your premed committee so they can write you an LOR? That doesn't make sense. Just get one from your committee and it should normally cover the 2 science letters.

Taken from TUCOM-CA:
"One letter from a physician, D.O. or M.D. (D.O. preferred) AND

One letter from a Pre-Professional Advisory Committee Letter OR

Two letters from science faculty familiar with your academic abilities"

Is there a maximum of letters you can submit? Would it be better or just plain annoying if I send in 4 letters total(1 DO, 1 committee, and 2 profs)??
Also can someone please explain what a Pre-Professional Advisory Committee means? Is it the same thing as a pre-med counselor? I go to UCSD and I've honestly never heard of a pre-prof advisory committee up until now.

No, there's not a maximum LORs to submit but sometimes, less is more. 4 is quite a bit, but it's not bad. I'd say send no more than 4 solid LORs.

A Pre-prof committee is usually a group of faculty that all write letters and the committee will compile it into a "packet" and submit it as one LOR. That's why 1 pre-prof committee = 2-3 science faculty LORs. Because that's what it is essentially.

A lot of schools don't have a pre-prof committee, so you have no choice but to get 2 letters from teachers. BUT, if yours does... then you should definitley get one from the committee, as it looks suspicious if you don't... like your either slacking or you have something to hide.

Find out of your school has a committee ASAP, and find out how to get your committee letter if they do.

Best of luck! :)

Hey everyone, I'm applying to DO schools this cycle, and I'm getting lost in letters.

1) I've been working for a year at a neuroscience lab - is it useless to ask for a letter from my job? It seems like the thread is saying that only academic references are important.
Also, I know the postdoc I work for will write me a STELLAR letter, however, my PI will rush it, is it ok to have a postdoc instead of a PhD write a letter?

2) My Physican LOR is an MD who I worked for in a non-medical setting (she oversaw my work as a resident assistant in a dorm, and we dealt with lots of intense things related to good communication skills). Is this ok? Again, she is someone I will get a great letter from

3) I am willing to get that DO letter if I need to. Is it ok to just interview one and get a letter? How about a week of shadowing?

Thanks, and good luck!

Hey, I'm a little nervous because I only have 1 DO, 1 Non-Science, 1 Science LOR and a random one from the President of my University. I am also non-traditional and have been out of school for 3 years. Do I really need that 2nd Science Professor Rec?

So...ignorant question, but what exactly do schools want to hear in an LOR from a DO?

So...ignorant question, but what exactly do schools want to hear in an LOR from a DO?

Your eagerness to learn, timeliness, professionalism, etc. It's important for the DO to get to know you well... so anything he knows about you will be useful for his letter. If there's any personal relationship you have developed, that'd be good too. They basically want the physician's take on why you want to be an osteopathic physician, and what qualities do you have which will allow you to be a successful and valuable asset to the profession.

Don't worry about it too much. As long as it says positive things, it matters very little. A good physician letter vs an okay letter probably makes little or no difference. It's more of a formality than anything else. Now if it says negative things, you're in a world of hurt.

Is it okay to also have a recommendation from a podiatrist since I'm really interested in sports medicine?

As of right now I have a LOR from a DO, DPM, PhD (research), and 1 science professor

Is it okay to also have a recommendation from a podiatrist since I'm really interested in sports medicine?

As of right now I have a LOR from a DO, DPM, PhD (research), and 1 science professor
It wouldn't be the first choice for me... You have a DO letter, its not going to earn brownie points by being ther person with the most LORs

It wouldn't be the first choice for me... You have a DO letter, its not going to earn brownie points by being ther person with the most LORs

This. I would just send the DO, science, and PhD letters (assuming you feel they're all strong LORs). The DPM letter is overkill and pointless.

My professors personally gave my me LOR's and I uploaded them to Interfolio. Unfortunately, it has labeled them as "Other Document's" instead of "Letter of Recommendation".

Am I sweating this for no reason?

Should I go back to each professor and ask them to send the same letter to Interfolio?

all that really matters is that the confidentiality waiver that interfolio uses as default was in your LOR request. when requesting a confidential lor via interfolio, that waiver is included and the schools you send LOR's to will see it. if it's just labeled as something different, but your writers received a request for a confidential LOR, then you're fine. if not, you need to have it done again. good luck.

all that really matters is that the confidentiality waiver that interfolio uses as default was in your LOR request. when requesting a confidential lor via interfolio, that waiver is included and the schools you send LOR's to will see it. if it's just labeled as something different, but your writers received a request for a confidential LOR, then you're fine. if not, you need to have it done again. good luck.

I had gotten two LOR's a couple years ago because I knew that I was going to lose contact with the writers. This was my first time asking for LOR's through Interfolio and I believe they aren't confidential as I can read them when I log into Interfolio.

Is that a huge no-no? There really isn't anyway I can update the letters.

having no confidentiality waiver is a big no-no. the LOR's are typically accompanied by those. you need to have them updated...:(

having no confidentiality waiver is a big no-no. the LOR's are typically accompanied by those. you need to have them updated...:(
I'll see if there is anyway to have them updated. I had no idea back then.

Hi guys, I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but I am looking for a DO to shadow, and am looking into emailing and sending them letters. However, I do not know exactly what I should write to them in terms of format, and being upfront about requesting a letter from them. If anyone could help me with some sort of template to send to them, that would be greatly appreciated

Hey everyone. Is it the end of the world if I don't have a physician LOR? I have two science, one non science, and one PI letter. Should I get another one? My options for a fifth are either:

1. TA I've had two classes with who I've also worked for in a lab for about 1 year
2. A work reference- OChem and Chem tutor, she offered to write me one
3. The nurse at the hospital I volunteer at who coordinates the volunteer program(pre-operating room volunteering)