2010 Intern Class Stat - Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found this on Google...
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyre...098-1B6D310306C2/58272/GMOBrief2011Redone.ppt.

Basically what I am reading is:

Out of 220 Interns
44% Straight Thru
56% - GMO, FS, UMO, etc...

Straight Through Chance
Family Med - 14 spots (for interns), 30 intern applicants
Internal Med - 15 spots, 26 applicants
Neurology - 1 spot, 3 applicants
OBGYN - 10 spots, 11 applicants
OCCMED - 1 spot, 1 applicant
Ortho - 7 spots, 12 applicants
Peds - 10 spots, 11 applicants
Psych - 7 spots, 7 applicants
Surgery - 5 spots, 22 applicants
Urology - 1 spot, 4 applicants

All other specialties had 0 spots for Interns.

Some were pre-select... I was wondering how do you get this?

Sigh...

Members don't see this ad.

There there are 220 interns and 50(?) PGY2 positions??? That's way less than 50%.

I just found this on Google...
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyre...098-1B6D310306C2/58272/GMOBrief2011Redone.ppt.

Basically what I am reading is:

Out of 220 Interns
44% Straight Thru
56% - GMO, FS, UMO, etc...

Straight Through Chance
Family Med - 14 spots (for interns), 30 intern applicants
Internal Med - 15 spots, 26 applicants
Neurology - 1 spot, 3 applicants
OBGYN - 10 spots, 11 applicants
OCCMED - 1 spot, 1 applicant
Ortho - 7 spots, 12 applicants
Peds - 10 spots, 11 applicants
Psych - 7 spots, 7 applicants
Surgery - 5 spots, 22 applicants
Urology - 1 spot, 4 applicants

All other specialties had 0 spots for Interns.

Sigh...

The only pre-select I know was for outservice radiology. Not sure if this is the preselect in the slide or not. This guy was a great guy, very smart, very well published, very politically savvy, and intern of the year. I have no idea about the rest of his resume, but I assume it was top notch. And even he is stuck doing GMO-type clinic work for a year!

As for the other specialties, here's the scuttlebutt I know:

- EM: actually ranked several interns above some applicants returning from the fleet but were forced to take the fleet guys over the interns
- IM: a few interns were offered straight through but chose not to for various reasons. Very good chance of going straight through if you are not a f*ck up. There are also a couple of fleet returnees/resiterns every year.
-OB/GYN: ALL the interns went straight through. It is VERY hard to get into this specialty from the fleet
-Orhto: I think about 50% of the interns went straight through. Again this is a hard one to get into from the fleet.
-Peds: I think most of the interns went straight through, but I didn't really interact with the peds interns too much
-Gen Surg: I think maybe two interns went straight through form my med center, the rest are out in GMO land.

GMO land: so far, I am really enjoying having free time. I've read like nine books since internship ended! I have every weekend off! Working out 2hrs a day is EXPECTED! And I am actually learning something about basic outpatient medicine. Internship teaches you a lot about managing bad, put you in the hospital type things but not a lot about managing common, not-so-bad things. So like they say, grow where you are planted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There there are 220 interns and 50(?) PGY2 positions??? That's way less than 50%.

220 started internship 2009
–96 accepted straight-thru residency (44%)
•17 from alternate list

The Powerpoint says... 44% ... How the 96 came about... I have No idea...

The actual count I see of Interns Selected = about 82... (14 ????)

It may be less than 44%, may actually be: ~37% closer to 1/3

Why are OB/GYN and Ortho hard to get into from the fleet?

Because you have to have done the OB/GYN or Ortho internship to do the residency. If you didn't get the internship then you would have to repeat internship. Could be done I suppose.

As for OB almost 100% of the interns go straight through, therefore there aren't really any slots for fleet returnees due to the issue mentioned above.

Ortho has maybe 50% or so of their interns go straight through.

Sigh...[/QUOTE]

There have been over the last couple of years several spots at each training site for FP and Psych offered as straight through contracts. Not sure if other specs have been allowed to do this yet.

i have been accepted to medical school and want to serve. i need real advice from service members about how you made your decision and how you feel about it now. If any body has exposure to combat i would like to hear from you.

i have been accepted to medical school and want to serve. i need real advice from service members about how you made your decision and how you feel about it now. If any body has exposure to combat i would like to hear from you.

Spend a few days reading the forum, starting with the stickies. This topic gets rehashed a lot.