**2010-2011** "What are my Chances? Where Should I apply? What should I do?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I swore I'd never post 'what are my chances' but I would appreciate input as to where else to apply. I want to apply to two or three more schools, one of them being Touro NY. I know my GPA isn't spectacular and my MCAT will help me an itsy bit, I feel I have strong ECs but I lack any formal research.

Major: BS Biology
Minor: French
(Indicated I speak French & Spanish on my app)

scienceGPA: 3.26
nonscienceGPA: 3.60
overallGPA: 3.43
MCAT: 10P/9V/10B/Qwriting--29Q
(note: last two semesters undertook 18 and 22 semester units...and nearly all upper division science classes have A's, drop due to Freshmen chem and bio, and two 'plant' courses)

Actividads...
-Employed phlebotomist/life insurance medical examiner for 3 years
-Supervisor position at a popular smoothie shop for 2 years
-220 hours/2 years at a center that provides therapeutic horseback riding for children with special needs (direct contact with kids and their families)
-Summer volunteer medical trip to Peru
-Logistics coordinator for a statewide medical student organization that promoted and lobbied for a healthcare reform bill
-Created and ran a free peer tutoring room for four semesters (90ish hours) at my undergrad
-Hospital volunteering 80 hours
-Pre-med society officer and then president, 4 years, hella community service done by the club (me too)
-vocational college for phlebotomy/ekg tech/lab assistant during my undergrad (800 hours during my soph. year)... (which hurt sGPA)
-Organized a suture lab for four semesters (recruited a plastic surgeon to instruct)
-Shadowed 1 family practice DO (5 hours, got a letter), shadowing another DO in the ER, so far 25 hours and counting! (expectin a letter)
-included in the personal statement, but not listed as an EC, I was a caretaker for my grandpa for the last three years of his life.

Assssssuming I have a heartfelt and lovely PS, supportive committee letter and I'm just now receiving secondaries, what are my shots of an interview at the following:

I've applied to: NYCOM, LECOM, PCOM, DMU-COM, KCUMB-COM, TUCOM-CA, COMP-Northwest.

And where else I should include for two or three more applications for safety? I want to apply to Touro-NY. I am currently a CA resident but am moving to Omaha, NE for the application year due to a job and my Fiancee :D.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys my apps are being verified and I'm getting antsy...

Stats are:
cGPA - 3.5 (strong upward trend)
sGPA - 3.62
MCAT - 27 N (10 VR, 10 BS, 7 PS)

I have amazing LORs (2 are from Physicians that teach at my top choice, VCOM)

- 2 years of leadership experience in the local American Medical Student Association chapter. I also currently serve as National AMSA Premedical Regional Director (PRD) for VA, WV, DC, MD, and PA. I also sit as the membership chair on the National Board of PRDs.
- Research experience in 3 labs: 6 months in social psyc, 2.5 years in clinical psyc, and 6 months in Molecular Genetics. I have a publication pending.
- Have attended 2 conferences and will have attended at least 3 more by the time I matriculate. Attended a 4 day long leadership meeting. I have planned and organized a conference in July, where I will be giving a presentation.
- Tutored 20 hours a week for 2 months over one summer. Underclassmen mentor for 2 years.
- 85 hours of shadowing (MD in the ER, Family Practice DO). 120 hours of CNA work. Countless hours taking care of my disabled grandmother and my mentally challenged aunt that live together.
- Volunteered for nearly 3 years in a program called Recovery Efforts After Child Trauma (R.E.A.C.T.), in which I found children that had undergone traumatic events and disasters and found ways to bring them to clinics in our area. Also taught disaster safety to local children, as well as a few other tasks. I worked with large scale disasters, such as Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, the VT shootings, etc...
- Various other EC clubs, such as the Astronomy club.
- Miscellaneous awards and scholarships.
- Have a medical mission planned in the winter.
- Play guitar, piano, DJ, and produce music. Also write for an online music journal.
- Miscellaneous other volunteering and standard application stuff.

Oh yeah! So far I have applied to VCOM, WVSOM, PCOM, CCOM, and NOVA Southeastern. Debating on adding Touro NYC.

Last edited:
I swore I'd never post 'what are my chances' but I would appreciate input as to where else to apply. I want to apply to two or three more schools, one of them being Touro NY. I know my GPA isn't spectacular and my MCAT will help me an itsy bit, I feel I have strong ECs but I lack any formal research.

Major: BS Biology
Minor: French
(Indicated I speak French & Spanish on my app)

scienceGPA: 3.26
nonscienceGPA: 3.60
overallGPA: 3.43
MCAT: 10P/9V/10B/Qwriting--29Q
(note: last two semesters undertook 18 and 22 semester units...and nearly all upper division science classes have A's, drop due to Freshmen chem and bio, and two 'plant' courses)

Actividads...
-Employed phlebotomist/life insurance medical examiner for 3 years
-Supervisor position at a popular smoothie shop for 2 years
-220 hours/2 years at a center that provides therapeutic horseback riding for children with special needs (direct contact with kids and their families)
-Summer volunteer medical trip to Peru
-Logistics coordinator for a statewide medical student organization that promoted and lobbied for a healthcare reform bill
-Created and ran a free peer tutoring room for four semesters (90ish hours) at my undergrad
-Hospital volunteering 80 hours
-Pre-med society officer and then president, 4 years, hella community service done by the club (me too)
-vocational college for phlebotomy/ekg tech/lab assistant during my undergrad (800 hours during my soph. year)... (which hurt sGPA)
-Organized a suture lab for four semesters (recruited a plastic surgeon to instruct)
-Shadowed 1 family practice DO (5 hours, got a letter), shadowing another DO in the ER, so far 25 hours and counting! (expectin a letter)
-included in the personal statement, but not listed as an EC, I was a caretaker for my grandpa for the last three years of his life.

Assssssuming I have a heartfelt and lovely PS, supportive committee letter and I'm just now receiving secondaries, what are my shots of an interview at the following:

I've applied to: NYCOM, LECOM, PCOM, DMU-COM, KCUMB-COM, TUCOM-CA, COMP-Northwest.

And where else I should include for two or three more applications for safety? I want to apply to Touro-NY. I am currently a CA resident but am moving to Omaha, NE for the application year due to a job and my Fiancee :D.

Your chances? I like them a lot. Your MCAT will actually help you a good bit, and your GPA isn't that bad. The lower sGPA might hurt you a bit, but given your MCAT score and science heavy upward trend I think you have proven to them that you can handle the science heavy curriculum. I have also heard from an adcomm that they don't look too highly of peer tutoring (it's good, but they assume that everybody applying to med school is helping their classmates out), BUT the fact that you created the program should be looked upon very favorably. The fact that you are multilingual will be very impressive and carry you a long way in my opinion. It also seems from your work experience that you are a non-trad which is always a bonus. Your clinical experience is top notch and it seems you have a very solid working knowledge of the medical field already. I like the fact that you've created a lot of programs a lot. The only weakness I can find throughout your entire list of ECs is that you may want more shadowing hours, particularly in a primary care field. I think your numbers will balance out and will be a non-issue. I'd expect a few interviews, and good luck!

As a side note, I wish I would have read your post before I posted mine. We have nearly identical extracurriculars, give or take a few discrepancies. That being said, keep your apps far away from the east coast :).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances? I like them a lot. Your MCAT will actually help you a good bit, and your GPA isn't that bad. The lower sGPA might hurt you a bit, but given your MCAT score and science heavy upward trend I think you have proven to them that you can handle the science heavy curriculum. I have also heard from an adcomm that they don't look too highly of peer tutoring (it's good, but they assume that everybody applying to med school is helping their classmates out), BUT the fact that you created the program should be looked upon very favorably. The fact that you are multilingual will be very impressive and carry you a long way in my opinion. It also seems from your work experience that you are a non-trad which is always a bonus. Your clinical experience is top notch and it seems you have a very solid working knowledge of the medical field already. I like the fact that you've created a lot of programs a lot. The only weakness I can find throughout your entire list of ECs is that you may want more shadowing hours, particularly in a primary care field. I think your numbers will balance out and will be a non-issue. I'd expect a few interviews, and good luck!

As a side note, I wish I would have read your post before I posted mine. We have nearly identical extracurriculars, give or take a few discrepancies. That being said, keep your apps far away from the east coast :).

Haha Hey man I read your post after mine and I thought to myself "Wow this guy is a bit too similar to me"! I didn't list any of my hobbies on my application, but I'm an avid bassist. I don't think I'm non-traditional, I took 5 years to do my undergrad now have this year "off". Anywho, let's apply to Touro-NY and see if we get in! Only problem is now adding it and paying their secondary.. $250, ouch! Was there a reason why you did not apply to NYCOM? You're a strong applicant!

I currently have a sGPA of 2.54 and cGPA of 3.0. Last semester my grades perished. I had four deaths in the family and it was hard to stay completely focused. I am a first generation college student, from the Appalachian mountains (to which i plan to return to practice if admitted to medical school).

I have shadowed 3 different doctors for many hours, volunteered with the county health department at the county fair and I am going to help them arrange and organize an emergency relief trailer. I am also Public Relations of my schools Science Club, where we do many community service projects.

I am aware of the AACOMAS "grade forgiveness", and do have intentions on re-taking a couple of courses. I am scheduled to take the MCAT the first week of July. What are my chances for getting admitted to a DO school this application cycle?

Thanks

I currently have a sGPA of 2.54 and cGPA of 3.0. Last semester my grades perished. I had four deaths in the family and it was hard to stay completely focused. I am a first generation college student, from the Appalachian mountains (to which i plan to return to practice if admitted to medical school).

I have shadowed 3 different doctors for many hours, volunteered with the county health department at the county fair and I am going to help them arrange and organize an emergency relief trailer. I am also Public Relations of my schools Science Club, where we do many community service projects.

I am aware of the AACOMAS "grade forgiveness", and do have intentions on re-taking a couple of courses. I am scheduled to take the MCAT the first week of July. What are my chances for getting admitted to a DO school this application cycle?

Thanks

What are your amcas practice scores ranging at? I would say at this point a "30" is the minimum you need on the MCAT to have a good shot...you may still be able to eek in otherwise but I wouldn't count on it.

Luckily for you two schools in your region have lower admission stats, pikeville and LMU are your best shots. So if you do end up with a 27,28 or 29 you may have a solid shot if you get in early.

The good. 30S MCAT. 11 Phys 11 Verb 8 Bio S writing
Top 30 undergrad with a neuroscience major.
Amazing letters of Rec.

The bad: both science and cum gpa of 3.2. Strong upward trend. Averaged 3.45 the last two years of school and a 3.6 my final year.

The extracurriculars: One publication submitted to top journals, but not published (or accepted) yet. Two more being submitted by January, but not to top journals.
Have a patent on some bio research I've done.
Worked as a fund raiser in college for four years and was darn good at it.
Shadowed a doc (M.D)
Lots of random job or volunteer work. I won't list it but safe to say I was occupied all through undergrad.
Worked in two research labs for over 300 hrs each. One was a cancer lab, the other was an econ lab

What are my chances? I'm a bit scared that not having a D.O letter of Rec is going to really hurt me. I applied to a bunch of D.O schools, pretty much everyone in a decent sized city that didn't require a letter from a D.O. (11). Reassure me or tear me down but I want to know :)

My top choices are Western and Touro Cali and Midwestern in Chicago

Your numbers will balance themselves out and give you a decent shot. 30 MCAT is very solid, and a 3.2 with an upward trend wouldn't have killed you to begin with. Your research is top notch, no worries there. I would try to apply to some of the schools that are more research oriented (this is a bit trickier than applying to MD research oriented schools).

Your weaknesses: DO LOR, I would try to get in to shadow a family practice DO for about 15 hours if possible, it will work wonders for you. I didn't see any clinical experience listed, and that's a huge red flag on your application. You could also benefit from some leadership, but that's assuming the fundraiser position wasn't for a campus club.

All in all, I'd say focus on clinical experience and shadowing a family practice DO. If any opportunities arise in the meantime for you to snag a leadership position, take it. But I don't think that if you don't get accepted somewhere it will be because you lacked leadership. Good Luck!

Alright guys and girls in addition to my question from above.....which I would really appreciate if I could get some good input...... I have run into an important issue that may affect many!

I contacted CCOM and asked them:

a) Do they wait to review my application until the pending MCAT is complete?
Answer: NO they review your application as soon as all the
information is received. (This obviously fluctuates per school)

b) If I complete the application now early in the admission process will you take in account my future MCAT?
Answer: It is up to the applicant to decide when to send in their
secondaries, a decision could be made right away or
stored until a final score is received for the retake.

So my question is what should an individual like me do?
Early applicant (+) but bad MCAT score (-)
VS. Later applicant (-) and good MCAT (+)

Thanks

So my question is what should an individual like me do?
Early applicant (+) but bad MCAT score (-)
VS. Later applicant (-) and good MCAT (+)

Thanks

It would be easier to help you if you put down a timeframe as well as a rough estimate of scores. Early/Late is too broad, as is Bad/Good

My current science gpa is a 2.08, but if I retake 19 credits worth of classes, and get A's in them, itll jump up to a 3.49. One of these classes, cell bio, ive retaken a buncha of times - im assuming the best grade will get counted, right? I am an Accounting/Finance major with a 2.8 overall. If I can get a straight A in those 19 credits, I think itll prob be a 3.0. What do yall think?

Overall/BCPM - 3.0/3.49, with a 28-32 MCAT score (long shot since I havent even started studying for it). Can I get into a reputable DO school - PCOM, DMU, UMD-NJ, etc.? Lots of if's I know...

It would be easier to help you if you put down a timeframe as well as a rough estimate of scores. Early/Late is too broad, as is Bad/Good

What should I do? My stats are mentioned a couple posts above. I just find it almost to be a 50/50 risk either way. Does ethnicity play a big role? Besides a well-rounded background and activities I feel like that would be the only difference maker (and obviously the better MCAT score which would come later).

Last edited:
Basically I have completed secondaries from VCOM, LECOM, and CCOM and only need to press send (payments and D.O. letters are on the way). My planned retake is Aug 5, meaning score release is the beginning of September.

What should I do? My stats are mentioned a couple posts above. I just find it almost to be a 50/50 risk either way. Does ethnicity play a big role? Besides a well-rounded background and activities I feel like that would be the only difference maker (and obviously the better MCAT score which would come later).

Ethnicity isn't nearly as big of a factor for DO schools as MD schools from what I've seen, for hispanics in 2009 the average MCAT was 24.8 so you're a bit under that. 3.4 was hispanic matriculant mean cGPA.

Personally I would probably hold off if you are SURE you can do at least 3 points better on your MCAT. Of course the worst thing you could do is wait and then score 23 or lower.

Tough call...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ethnicity isn't nearly as big of a factor for DO schools as MD schools from what I've seen, for hispanics in 2009 the average MCAT was 24.8 so you're a bit under that. 3.4 was hispanic matriculant mean cGPA.

Personally I would probably hold off if you are SURE you can do at least 3 points better on your MCAT. Of course the worst thing you could do is wait and then score 23 or lower.

Tough call...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess it is a tough call. I know I will do 3 points better, just stinks I went out of my way to turn in everything in a timely manner and now I have to make a decision like this..DAMN!!!

Thanks

Your thread was already moved once to the what are my chances thread. Stop reposting it. To answer your question, you need a significantly high MCAT. 30+ if you want a chance this cycle. 2.54 is also going to get you screened out of a good portion of schools (alot require 2.75) so do some research. You are an underdog. You need to retake courses ASAP and make sure you get As.

My current science gpa is a 2.08, but if I retake 19 credits worth of classes, and get A's in them, itll jump up to a 3.49. One of these classes, cell bio, ive retaken a buncha of times - im assuming the best grade will get counted, right? I am an Accounting/Finance major with a 2.8 overall. If I can get a straight A in those 19 credits, I think itll prob be a 3.0. What do yall think?

Overall/BCPM - 3.0/3.49, with a 28-32 MCAT score (long shot since I havent even started studying for it). Can I get into a reputable DO school - PCOM, DMU, UMD-NJ, etc.? Lots of if's I know...

The bolded may be a red flag. I don't think they count the best grade, only the last one, and retaking a class several times and still not being able to improve looks really bad imo. I think 2, maybe even 3, times for retaking may be ok if there was some really good reason (death, illness, etc), but "a buncha" - probably hard to explain if the last time isn't an A.

I honestly think you really need to get straight A's from now on to have a good shot. Have you figured out why you had trouble with the science classes before? and do you have a plan to do better? You can't just assume you will get all A's if you haven't addressed the problem.

Long time lurker here, wondering if anybody's got feedback.

sGPA 3.05
nsGPA 3.14
cGPA 3.08

MCAT 33R: 12v 10p 11b

applying broadly: 20 schools
worked in biotech for two years, still at it
lots of volunteer ems in college, got an award for it
upward GPA trend as a senior and retook a D+ recently for an A
one year undergrad research in amyloid folding
shadowed a couple DOs (one in an OMM clinic), got an LOR
4 year DIII lacrosse player, contributed enormously to the low GPA

I think my app shows that I've done lots of stuff, but the GPA really brings things into question. I didn't know that I wanted to be a doctor for a long time and it's obvious, but I don't want to come off as looking like I sat on the couch for three years because I was working hard, just on other things. I'm starting to work on secondaries and my committee letter is in the works (hope they hurry up!) and would love to see what you guys think.

sGPA 3.05
nsGPA 3.14
cGPA 3.08

I think my app shows that I've done lots of stuff, but the GPA really brings things into question. I didn't know that I wanted to be a doctor for a long time and it's obvious, but I don't want to come off as looking like I sat on the couch for three years because I was working hard, just on other things. I'm starting to work on secondaries and my committee letter is in the works (hope they hurry up!) and would love to see what you guys think.

Your GPA is more than balanced by the 33 MCAT, apply broadly, because of the lowish GPA.

I'm with the other guy who answered your question as well. You NEED to get straight As from now on. You also need to not bank on a 28-32 MCAT. Many people overestimate their scores, especially with the fact that you've had to retake cell bio a bunch of times and your sGPA is currently so low. It makes me feel that you definitely do not have a grasp on the basic sciences. I'm not saying its impossible but you absolutely need to take a year and take science classes and study for the MCAT. If you actually get a 3.0/3.49 with a 30 you will get in somewhere but if someone were to tell me they had a 2.1 sGPA currently and were expecting a 28 minimum MCAT I'm not sure I'd believe them. Sorry.

sGPA 3.05
nsGPA 3.14
cGPA 3.08

I got 2 interviews with <2.8 last year and a 33. You will get some interviews almost definitely. Good luck. Good job on the MCAT :thumbup:

Hi Everyone,

I just graduated with an overall GPA of 3.6 and sci GPA of 3.61

However, i only got a 24 Q on my MCATs, PS 8, BS 10, V 6. this was my second time taking it, the first time i got a 23 PS 7, BS 10, V 6.

I volunteered at a student run clinic, interned in two different departments at the nearest hospital , researched for about a year and also shadowed a cardiologists.

Should i be ok applying to DO schools?? idk if i should retake the MCATs or just apply with this score? what do u guys think?

Hi Everyone,

I just graduated with an overall GPA of 3.6 and sci GPA of 3.61

However, i only got a 24 Q on my MCATs, PS 8, BS 10, V 6. this was my second time taking it, the first time i got a 23 PS 7, BS 10, V 6.

I volunteered at a student run clinic, interned in two different departments at the nearest hospital , researched for about a year and also shadowed a cardiologists.

Should i be ok applying to DO schools?? idk if i should retake the MCATs or just apply with this score? what do u guys think?

You have a slightly better than average GPA, but your MCAT is a bit below the average for DO matriculants. http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-p12-15.pdf
The consistently low verbal score might hamper your chances at some schools that screen anything below a 7. If you get in your app early you will have the best chance for an interview based on your numbers. If you applied later in the cycle with those stats I wish you best of luck. But for an acceptance post-interview it depends on your application, letters, and of course interview!

hey all. I posted a week back but I changed up my DO school list and would like some feedback.

cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.45
MCAT 11p 10v 11b 32Q
Illinois resident
no DO recommendation yet but will be shadowing two in the upcoming weeks

ECs: internships in hospitals, research assistant, more research and working on publication, president of a club, volunteer at a local HS, getting a masters with thesis (more research), volunteer at nursing home, teaching assistant.

Schools considering applying to:
CCOM
KCOM
PCOM
AZCOM/MWU
KCUMB
NYCOM

Are any of these not too OOS friendly? Or is this a good list of schools? thanks. :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am sort of lost on what to do. I took my first mcat in january and got a 26 then i took it in may and got a 27. My vr and ps did not change after 4 month of intense studying so i think i may have hit the ceiling on MCATs. I have a multitude of ECs but i have not shadowed a DO.

I wanted to know what are my chances for osteopathic medical schools and which schools will likely accept out of state students. btw i;m in Maryland.

Thanks a lot

I'm with the other guy who answered your question as well. You NEED to get straight As from now on. You also need to not bank on a 28-32 MCAT. Many people overestimate their scores, especially with the fact that you've had to retake cell bio a bunch of times and your sGPA is currently so low. It makes me feel that you definitely do not have a grasp on the basic sciences. I'm not saying its impossible but you absolutely need to take a year and take science classes and study for the MCAT. If you actually get a 3.0/3.49 with a 30 you will get in somewhere but if someone were to tell me they had a 2.1 sGPA currently and were expecting a 28 minimum MCAT I'm not sure I'd believe them. Sorry.

I'm not a guy. :) Maybe I need some girly avatar.

hey all. I posted a week back but I changed up my DO school list and would like some feedback.

cGPA 3.57
sGPA 2.45
MCAT 11p 10v 11b 32Q
Illinois resident
no DO recommendation yet but will be shadowing two in the upcoming weeks

ECs: internships in hospitals, research assistant, more research and working on publication, president of a club, volunteer at a local HS, getting a masters with thesis (more research), volunteer at nursing home, teaching assistant.

Schools considering applying to:
CCOM
KCOM
PCOM
AZCOM/MWU
KCUMB
NYCOM

Are any of these not too OOS friendly? Or is this a good list of schools? thanks. :)

Most of those schools will immediately screen you out with a 2.45 science gpa. However if that's actually a 3.45 ( which your mdapp supports =)) then your fine. I'd say that PCOM and NYCOM have North west/ east coast favor. CCOM is good for you. KCUMB is good for you. KCOM is good for you. But even then your stats are good for PCOM and NYCOM even with their regional favoring.

Avoidthetiger

Most of those schools will immediately screen you out with a 2.45 science gpa. However if that's actually a 3.45 ( which your mdapp supports =)) then your fine. I'd say that PCOM and NYCOM have North west/ east coast favor. CCOM is good for you. KCUMB is good for you. KCOM is good for you. But even then your stats are good for PCOM and NYCOM even with their regional favoring.

/amen -- What masters you got? Does it have a science GPA in it?

I edited my mistake, definitely a 3.45 (worked too hard not to have it). Thank you for your input. Philly is the hometown of my bf... so maybe that can magically make me from that region. haha. But I can stay in the midwest too. :rolleyes:

/amen -- What masters you got? Does it have a science GPA in it?

I'm getting a masters in biology, focusing on neurobiology and behavior (my research is on cockroaches! ahhh!). My GPA is 4.0 since starting... but I didn't put that into my GPA average.

I edited my mistake, definitely a 3.45 (worked too hard not to have it). Thank you for your input. Philly is the hometown of my bf... so maybe that can magically make me from that region. haha. But I can stay in the midwest too. :rolleyes:

I'm getting a masters in biology, focusing on neurobiology and behavior (my research is on cockroaches! ahhh!). My GPA is 4.0 since starting... but I didn't put that into my GPA average.

Oh then I feel you have a lovely shot! However I've heard that PCOM can be unfavorable to OOS, but you could always put your home address as your boyfriends and lie..but I don't recommend that! Anywho--Will you have finished your masters by the time you enter medical school?

Hmm.. So what have you discovered about cockroachs. I was always told in ap bio that they have just simple bundles of nerves. But at the sametime, from where does a bundle of nerves transit into actual coherent behaviors which are beneficial to life. I'm guessing something to do with a reward complex within eating hahaha.
Lol but yes, I think your probably very good. Are you apply to MD too?

Oh then I feel you have a lovely shot! However I've heard that PCOM can be unfavorable to OOS, but you could always put your home address as your boyfriends and lie..but I don't recommend that! Anywho--Will you have finished your masters by the time you enter medical school?

I'll figure out a way to mention that I have Philly connections in the area, but I do love the city (which my mom is so annoyed about because she wants me to return to Chicago, my hometown). I will have my masters done by the time medical school starts if I don't sleep for a month straight... but it will get done.

Hmm.. So what have you discovered about cockroachs. I was always told in ap bio that they have just simple bundles of nerves. But at the sametime, from where does a bundle of nerves transit into actual coherent behaviors which are beneficial to life. I'm guessing something to do with a reward complex within eating hahaha.
Lol but yes, I think your probably very good. Are you apply to MD too?

Yep, applying MD too. Both DO and MD sound good too me. I'm applying everywhere, because if I don't get in this cycle, I will be down at St. George come next fall (My parents are still alittle annoyed I choose a masters instead of the Caribbean)

I actually work on the central complex of the cockroach which is where all the cool higher up stuff in the brain of the cockroach happens. It recently was discovered that the cerebral complex actually fires out commands to tell the cockroach to walk or run (which makes sense, but there's now actually data for this). But they do have bundles of nerves running down their body which keep them alive for awhile, even after they lose their head. Anyways, I basically studying turning behavior of the cockroach with visual and antennal stimulation. I also get to lesion parts of their brains! I haven't learned anything too interesting yet in my own personal research.

BUT fun fact of the day: American aged cockroaches tend not to display escape behavior. If you take out the cerebral complex of an aged cockroach though, the escape behavior returns making them "young" again. So all you have to do to become young again, is get rid of your brain. :p http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4396-elderly-cockroaches-become-doddery-with-age.html

I'm not a guy. :) Maybe I need some girly avatar.

haha oops! Sorry! :) I didn't actually pay attention to who responded, just the answer. I actually knew you weren't a guy. Generally guessing male is the safe bet, there are only a handful of women that post regularly from what I've seen lol

hiii well i was wondering if someone could plz advice me as far as how to raise my gpa up for DO SCHOOL...
i have an undergrad gpa of 2.6 and a science gpa of 2.8. is there anyway i could raise my g.p.a so i can get into a postbacc or a smp??

Non-trad student. 26 years old. I have a 3.2 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA. I got a 30 on the MCAT. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0, but I retook a couple classes and boosted it also with the science classes I've taken. I majored in Business. The trend in my grades is very positive.

I've done research for the last year at my community college, have worked as a rehab tech at a hospital for the last 2 years, and am a volunteer on the committee for the special olympics in my area. Also spent half a year traveling after college, so I got some good life experience from that.

I know these aren't top marks. But this is my dream and I'm willing to dedicate the next several years of my life to getting in to medical school. Just trying to get an honest idea of what I should expect here. Would love any feedback.

If you've got a good amount of clinical experience. Then your good for DO. MD might be a bit of a challenge, but otherwise your pretty competitive.

Take several easy courses and really spend the rest of the time studying for MCAT. Do that for a year if you have to bring your GPA up. Gluck

Those are about my marks, except I just finished undergrad, so I hope you get in :)

From what I've read, you look good. Make sure to have some shadowing experience if possible, and apply broadly. That's my plan.

Also, remember you aren't just your numbers. A good personal statement, good essays, and a good interview can do wonders. Don't just write your essays but have others look over them and critique you. Finally, even with those numbers, you have close to a 40% chance of getting into an allopathic school, c.p.
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

I couldn't find a similar chart for osteopathic schools but I assume it's much higher.

You can always go for a masters, or look into one of the few, but expanding, masters program where you matriculate into an osteopathic school afterwards (Western has one), or go Caribbean. If I don't get in this cycle, the plan is to do go the masters --> matriculation route. Maybe St. George's.

He's already a non-trad. Doing a masters wouldn't be very effective. But yes, I'd agree he's got around a ~80% acceptance shot to a DO school as is now. Non-trad status is a + when applying to medical schools, for both DO and MD.
But yes, remember for DO you can replace a bunch of bad grades. Which is a lot more effective then doing a 2 year traditional masters. And Carib is for people with 3.0/22's.

I should also add guys that I took my prereqs at a community college, not a university. This was not to avoid hard work, as I found the classes to be very challenging, but rather to save money.

Yes, he's very competitive for DO schools. However, I wouldn't look down on Caribbean MD schools that much; Ross has averages equal to or above most DO schools. SGU, I believe, has even higher statistics.

"Currently, the average undergraduate GPA of enrolled students is 3.4. "

School of Medicine - First Term Entrants

Total Matriculants: 361
Average Age: 25

Female​
43%​
Male​
57%​
Citizenship
% of Students
US Citizens​
68%​
Non-US Citizens​
32%​
Academic Performance:
MCAT
Verbal
Phys. Sci.
Bio. Sci.
AVERAGE
8​
9​
9​
GPA
Undergraduate
Undergrad. Sci.
Graduate
AVERAGE
3.4​
3.3​
3.4​

http://rossu.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rossu.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=144&p_created=1193929801&p_sid=c4QFyr3k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0zNzIsMzcyJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj1_YW55fiZwX2N2PX5hbnl_JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Are you kidding me? RossU accepts anyone with a pulse. A 3.4/26 is so overinflated. You gave me a source from the site itself. Of which it's criteria could be so very improper.
Find a 3rd party site. Also RossU sends less then 1/2 of its starting class into residency. SGU sends around 3/4th. DO schools send.. 100%.

He's already a non-trad. Doing a masters wouldn't be very effective. But yes, I'd agree he's got around a ~80% acceptance shot to a DO school as is now. Non-trad status is a + when applying to medical schools, for both DO and MD.
But yes, remember for DO you can replace a bunch of bad grades. Which is a lot more effective then doing a 2 year traditional masters. And Carib is for people with 3.0/22's.

I think he was talking about a SMP program, not just a normal masters. And if he could get into a SMP program that would let him matriculate directly into a DO/MD program after completion that would be great in his case.

I think he was talking about a SMP program, not just a normal masters. And if he could get into a SMP program that would let him matriculate directly into a DO/MD program after completion that would be great in his case.

There are no SMP's that are like that. There are certain programs like Drexel's and Texas university of which will grant you acceptance after finishing. But they are minority targeted. SMP's are something you do if your not competitive for getting into medical school. They are also extremely risky because if you can't get a 3.5+ in the SMP you'll be screwed. Not to mention masters costs a lot ( SMP's are 30k+ a year), and waste time( 2 years). He's already a non-trad. Why would he go out of his way to waste time and money for something which he simply doesn't need?

so you guys dont think the fact that I did all my prereqs at a CC is gonna put me in a tough spot? I was considering taking an upperlevel class or two at a university just to show I wasn't getting good grades b/c I had it easy. if that's not necessary, I ain't gonna do it.

There are no SMP's that are like that. There are certain programs like Drexel's and Texas university of which will grant you acceptance after finishing. But they are minority targeted. SMP's are something you do if your not competitive for getting into medical school. They are also extremely risky because if you can't get a 3.5+ in the SMP you'll be screwed. Not to mention masters costs a lot ( SMP's are 30k+ a year), and waste time( 2 years). He's already a non-trad. Why would he go out of his way to waste time and money for something which he simply doesn't need?

lol dude i'm not trying to argue with you.. But at a couple of SMP's statistics show that 85% of the people that did well in them got into med school (a couple are 90% plus). Plus with a 3.2 non-trad or not he's not a sure thing anywhere. I understand that SMP's are high risk but it is an option for him. Plus most SMP programs are only one year (there's a couple 2 year programs though).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302 ( I know these are for MD programs but it gives you an idea of what I'm trying to say)

http://prospective.westernu.edu/medical-sciences/welcome (westerns smp program)

Western has an SMP that is a single year, complete successfully with a 3.0 and a 24+ MCAT and you are guaranteed to begin in the next DO class. You have to be accepted to the linkage though and there are only 10 spots. I got it this year but I chose not to attend because the cost is so high, I couldn't rationalize spending almost 50k and then attending a med school thats going to wind up costing close to 80k a year. Debt was just too big a factor for me

lol dude i'm not trying to argue with you.. But at a couple of SMP's statistics show that 85% of the people that did well in them got into med school (a couple are 90% plus). Plus with a 3.2 non-trad or not he's not a sure thing anywhere. I understand that SMP's are high risk but it is an option for him. Plus most SMP programs are only one year (there's a couple 2 year programs though).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302 ( I know these are for MD programs but it gives you an idea of what I'm trying to say)

http://prospective.westernu.edu/medical-sciences/welcome (westerns smp program)

Yes, and I was just adding on. But after a SMP you apply to schools.

I'm still waiting for spring quarter transcript to be sent out, but was wondering what you guys thought of this list of schools considering my stats:

CCOM
KCUMB
LECOM
PCOM
Touro - CA and NV
UMDNJ
Western

GPA Science: 3.49
Non-Science: 3.44
Total: 3.47
MCAT: 28Q

Attended large well known pre-med California public university, lots of extracurriculars, letters from 3 professors and a DO. Am I applying broadly enough?

Thanks!