* * 2010 - 2011 * * Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok I am in trouble. I just realized that I used a different email to open up the interfolio acct than the email used for the 2011 application. I will be reapplying this yr. I didnt fill out supplementals last year. Does it matter that they r the same? will it play a role in the matching of my application or do you put ur aacomas ID when you send the letter through Interfolio? I hope I didnt make a huge mistake

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone, I was wondering what's the average number of LOR people submit? I know the requirement is 2, but for some schools, the norms are 6-7?..(as I read earlier in this thread). I was preparing for 3..maybe 4. Thanks!!

Hey,

After a bit of shadowing, I requested a LOR from my DO FP. He said "Sure, do you know of any specific topics that need addressed within the letter?"

Me: :confused::confused::confused:

(He's an older doc from my tiny hometown, so he must not have been pursued for a letter recently.)

With that being said, what should be included? I imagine not much can be discovered about an individual within a mere 6 hours of shadowing (at least in comparison to the professors I worked with for 3+ years...)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended a letter of recommendation workshop, and they gave me a template similar to the following for requesting a letter. They also recommended even writing a draft of a letter for the person you are requesting it from, so they get an idea of what to write if they aren't used to writing letters.

Your First and Last Name
Street
City, State Zip Code

Month Date, Year

Letter Writer's Name
Position, Where
Address of Work Location
City, State Zip Code
Email Address

Dear [Letter Writer's Name],

Please consider my attached application for a letter of recommendation. Enclosed you will find all the documents required for me to complete my application. I am applying to X programs in X month. I am requesting to have the letter of recommendation completed by [Month Day, Year] so that I can submit my applications as soon as possible. Optional: I have included X envelopes because I will be mailing one letter to X, which is the online application service for a few schools I am applying to. The other X letters will be mailed to specific schools that do not use X. I would appreciate if you could also sign the back of each envelope once sealed.

I know that letters of recommendation are heavily weighted for X programs, and I am confident that you will provide me with a strong recommendation. I have waived my right to view your letter, so please be honest and sincere in what you write. Some suggestions of what to include are provided below. Feel free to organize the letter as you like and include any other relevant information.

• Who you are/how you know me
• My potential/promise as a medical professional
• My intellectual curiosity / creativity/ capacity
• Particular contributions I have made
• Ability to thoroughly complete assigned tasks on time; ability to work independently
• Interpersonal skills
• Leadership ability
• Communication skills
• Personal characteristics: reliability, maturity, independence, commitment, dedication to helping others, etc.

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to write my letter and help me reach my career goals. I have gained a lot from your teaching, and appreciate the opportunity and experiences that you have provided as a mentor. If you have any questions regarding my information or anything, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Your Name
[Academic Email]
[Non-Academic Email]
[Cell Phone]

Hi

I plan on applying to MD DO and MD canada, is there any way i can get my LOR writers to write 1 letter and some program to deliver it to all the schools, or do i have to harass them to write a bunch of letters

Hi

I plan on applying to MD DO and MD canada, is there any way i can get my LOR writers to write 1 letter and some program to deliver it to all the schools, or do i have to harass them to write a bunch of letters
Interfolio or VirtualEvals