2009 western university..anyone yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone hear from WesternU after the Christmas holiday for the Dec.6 interviews?

Just as some extra info for those who haven't heard from Western yet after the Dec 6 interview, and who are anxious like I am--I called admissions today and spoke with one of the counselors who told me that it is taking a little longer than usual to make decisions. She says they are actually still in the process of making decisions. I tried to find out if all the acceptance letters had been mailed/called/etc., and she made it sound like they had not. She said although some letters were sent out before the break, all of them were not. She said we should receive something in the mail within 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. Yikes! Perhaps there is still hope? Hang in there!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info. You guys are awesome! I was so anxious that I called as well and they told me nearly the same thing. Hopefully, we all can get in! The waiting game is what kills me. But, I'm hoping that WesternU takes all of their block 1 interviews!

Thanks for the info. You guys are awesome! I was so anxious that I called as well and they told me nearly the same thing. Hopefully, we all can get in! The waiting game is what kills me. But, I'm hoping that WesternU takes all of their block 1 interviews!

Me too! Best Wishes!! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
this waiting is horrible! it has already been over a month since the interview. thanks to those who called to find out when we would find out the decisions!

Have they started calling people for the Jan interview date?

I just received a letter:( Dated Jan 6th. Hold status. Oh well.

I just received a letter:( Dated Jan 6th. Hold status. Oh well.

same here... there is still hope because i have a friend who was put on hold last year and eventually received an acceptance. good luck!

Unfortunately, I got a hold letter as well today. I hope after January interviews, I will hear good news from them. :(

Looks like they decided to send out a few hold status letters today. Same here after a month: hold status. Does anybody know if hold is better or worse than alternate? has anyone received an alternate status yet?I guess at this point it's just hold, hold, hold

Looks like they decided to send out a few hold status letters today. Same here after a month: hold status. Does anybody know if hold is better or worse than alternate? has anyone received an alternate status yet?I guess at this point it's just hold, hold, hold

As far as I understand, hold is not as good as alternate. Holds can be upgraded to an alternate, and alternate to an accept. However, I think it's strange that those from the block 1 interview are receiving 'hold' status letters and not even alternate. Maybe they will be sending the alternate letters out later or are mostly sending out holds instead of alternates? Not sure...:scared:

I agree with RxRN. As far as I understand, the admission committee will review your file again if you are placed on hold status, either after a certain date or after the last interview. I think it's because they want to compare you with other applicants from other interviews. After that certain date, they will then notify you of your status: either acceptance or alternate. If you are given alternate status, it means that you are on the waiting list to get a seat in the class.

That was what I learned when I applied last year.

Good luck. :luck:

Hello all!

Just wanted to share some information that I just received from the admissions office. I was confused because some people said they received hold letters and some said they received alternate letters. So, after speaking to the admissions office, I was told that, there were only two letters sent out for the Dec. 6th interviews....either acceptance or alternates. So, she said, there were no rejection letters sent out. She said they basically needed more time to review our applications. I am one of those alternates too, so all we can do is wait and hope for the best!!!!!! :xf: Hope that clears a little bit of confusion for a few, because I was getting really confused! :confused:

Hey SDRx, on your letter that you received from WesternU does it say in quotation marks "Hold" or "alternate." In my letter, I got "Hold."

Does that mean that "Hold" actually means "alternate?" I'm confused.

But thank you for your info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Espada, I haven't actually physically seen my letter yet, because I am out of town, but my sister read it to me, and she said "hold", then i asked her if it says "alternate", and she said it does....but I don't think there is a difference...because when I spoke to the admissions office, she basically said, that they just sent out 2 letters, acceptance, and alternate....she said, they were basically trying to buy more time... :(....so, I don't know if that is a good thing, or a bad thing... because I am worried, its just a matter of giving them more time, not really that they evaluated our applications and think we have potential:(

I really don't like this anticipation, but I guess, we have no choice but to hope for the best :)

Hey SDRx,

Thanks for the fast reply. I hope that WesterU considers and takes most of their 1st block interviews. I remember the Assistant Dean telling us that 3/4 of the 1st block interviews will be accepted. So, lets hope that we will get in!

The ultimate goal I think for the people either placed on hold or alternate statuses is to get an official acceptance.

I guess we will wait and see if destiny will allows us to get into this school.
I will be constantly praying for a good response.

Continue to wish good thoughts and hope that destiny will take all of us in the right place.

Hey SDRx,

Thanks for the fast reply. I hope that WesterU considers and takes most of their 1st block interviews. I remember the Assistant Dean telling us that 3/4 of the 1st block interviews will be accepted. So, lets hope that we will get in!

The ultimate goal I think for the people either placed on hold or alternate statuses is to get an official acceptance.

I guess we will wait and see if destiny will allows us to get into this school.
I will be constantly praying for a good response.

Continue to wish good thoughts and hope that destiny will take all of us in the right place.

From what i have heard, Western has already accepted 1/3 of its incoming class from its 1st batch of interview. Does anyone know if any rejection letters have come out yet? I havent heard anything from Western yet ? :-(

Read a couple of posts back regarding rejection letters.

Hey Espada, I haven't actually physically seen my letter yet, because I am out of town, but my sister read it to me, and she said "hold", then i asked her if it says "alternate", and she said it does....but I don't think there is a difference...because when I spoke to the admissions office, she basically said, that they just sent out 2 letters, acceptance, and alternate....she said, they were basically trying to buy more time... :(....so, I don't know if that is a good thing, or a bad thing... because I am worried, its just a matter of giving them more time, not really that they evaluated our applications and think we have potential:(

I really don't like this anticipation, but I guess, we have no choice but to hope for the best :)

After all the interviews are conducted, the files of people placed on "HOLD" will be reviewed. They will then either offer you an acceptance, rejection, or alternate. HOLD does not equal alternate, though most HOLD applicants will likely be given a chance to be placed on alternate later on. I had previous experience with Western.

hey all!!! is it really true that they accept 3/4ths of the 1st block interviews? Thats a really HIGH number considering that they have three more interview slots with about 300 more people to interview.

On another note, have they began calling applicants for the Jan 24th interview?

Okay, now I am realllllly confused!!!! :confused:

When I spoke to the admissions office....I specificially asked her, is there a difference between hold and alternate, and she said, no!....

so I don't know, it could be a new thing they are doing where they dont have holds till the end....because I remember at the interview, the dean, said, they are doing a new thing with alternates....

and the 3/4 thing....what that means is, because of how alternates are going to be reevaluated each interview block, the people who are alternates are going to have a better chance of being accepted eventually, they did not accept 3/4 of them, but they anticipate that a greater majority of the applicants from Dec. 6th interviews will be accepted out of all the interview blocks....does that make sense??

When I spoke to the admissions office....I specificially asked her, is there a difference between hold and alternate, and she said, no!....

so I don't know, it could be a new thing they are doing where they dont have holds till the end....because I remember at the interview, the dean, said, they are doing a new thing with alternates....

and the 3/4 thing....what that means is, because of how alternates are going to be reevaluated each interview block, the people who are alternates are going to have a better chance of being accepted eventually, they did not accept 3/4 of them, but they anticipate that a greater majority of the applicants from Dec. 6th interviews will be accepted out of all the interview blocks....does that make sense??

The truth is if they choose to accept you then they choose to accept you. If not then there's not much to do about it now. There is really no point in questioning how many got accepted and what are your chances of being accepted. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope you get an acceptance call/email/letter. I hope this puts your mind at ease.

This is true. However, it does seem that something different is going on than what has happened in the past. Since we don't know what that is, we'll have to patient. It's so hard for me, but just keep in mind that they specifically announced at the interview that the block 1 interview consisted of the 'cream of the crop'. It's comforting (to the OCD in me?)to try to figure out how many more seats they can give away but I don't want to give myself false hope. There are lots of great candidates still to interview and accept. They need more time, so a hold seems good to me (for now). Hang in there and we'll hear from them when the time is right. I would much prefer them to seriously consider and accept me, then to rush over my file and and send me something different.
Thank-you to all you who have been trying to find out info. I hope to see you all next year! ;)

This is true. However, it does seem that something different is going on than what has happened in the past. Since we don't know what that is, we'll have to patient. It's so hard for me, but just keep in mind that they specifically announced at the interview that the block 1 interview consisted of the 'cream of the crop'. It's comforting (to the OCD in me?)to try to figure out how many more seats they can give away but I don't want to give myself false hope. There are lots of great candidates still to interview and accept. They need more time, so a hold seems good to me (for now). Hang in there and we'll hear from them when the time is right. I would much prefer them to seriously consider and accept me, then to rush over my file and and send me something different.
Thank-you to all you who have been trying to find out info. I hope to see you all next year! ;)

Easier said than done, actually....
Wishing that time goes faster and faster for the ones who are waiting.
Hard work pays off, always! You finally will get what you really like.

that totally makes sense!! thank you!!! well, let me tell you guys that you are very very lucky and deserve to get those dec 6th interviews. I hope I get one soon...and if it is ok to ask, do you mind sharing your stats - GPA, EC, work experience, majors...etc. Thank you!

Any one hears any thing about 1/24 yet?

Nope, I haven't received any phone call from them yet. When did you submit your supplemental app anyways? I submitted mine right before the deadline. I'm so scared because Western is my #1 choice.

Nope, I haven't received any phone call from them yet. When did you submit your supplemental app anyways? I submitted mine right before the deadline. I'm so scared because Western is my #1 choice.
I sent my supplemental kind of late, too. I think, it was sent by the end of Oct. They said they would let us know before the interview 2-3 weeks. So I think we should know it next week.

Someone on the interview feedback mentioned that there's a list of questions on Western's website to help prep for the interview. I'm having trouble finding it. Does anyone know the link? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Someone on the interview feedback mentioned that there's a list of questions on Western's website to help prep for the interview. I'm having trouble finding it. Does anyone know the link? Thanks in advance!

They used to have the interview questions on their website, but apparently not since they made some changes. I called admissions in November to ask and they couldn't find it either. However, I found them at the Pharmacy Society at UCI website. Go to the interview tab on the left and scroll down to Western. I also was asked more specific questions such as, 'what do you think is the greatest challenge facing pharmacists today? and 'how do you feel about online pharmacy schools?' Sorta random, but I hope this helps! Good luck!:luck:
http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/pharmacy/interviewq.htm

Thank you RxRN, that helps a lot. But yikes, that's a lot of questions to go through! haha. I also wanted to verify the Western pre-reqs. They must all be completed by Spring 09 for Fall 09 matriculation, correct?

Thank you RxRN, that helps a lot. But yikes, that's a lot of questions to go through! haha. I also wanted to verify the Western pre-reqs. They must all be completed by Spring 09 for Fall 09 matriculation, correct?
Yep, that's correct. :)

I actually called Western today at around 4:20pm and asked about the January 24th interview session to see if they have started calling people since there is only 1.5 week left before the interview. This was what she said, word for word:

"Ummm....I think so. Yes, I'm pretty sure."

I really don't know if we should trust this person's response. So maybe someone should just give them a call to see if they did.

I received a phone call from Western informing me of an interview offer for Jan. 24. It was last Thursday. (01/08)

Yep, that's correct. :)

Yeah I was afraid of that. Now I'm struggling to enroll in an Anatomy w/ lab course at any community college within a 30 mile radius.

Last edited:
Congrats on the interview invitations guys, did anyone get an interview invitation that turned in their application in October? I am getting so anxious I hope I don't get another denial letter.

i turned in my app in oct as well...and i am getting axious. did they call everyone for the jan 24th interview last thursday (1/08/09?)

thanks!

and by the way, I called the admissions office...they are not done calling applicants for the 1/24 interview...so keep crossing your fingers guys!!

also, if they cant get a hold of you at your residence, they will call and leave a message, then call your cell phone, and then lastly they will send you an email if they could not get a hold of you....and then after that if you still dont respond...you are virtually screwed...kinda stupid if we dont check our messages and emails..

GOOD LUCK APPLICANTS!!!

Yeah I was afraid of that. Now I'm struggling to enroll in an Anatomy w/ lab course at any community college within a 30 mile radius.

I'm having the same problem finding a basic English class b/c Western doesn't recognize the other 3 English classes I took for credit. They were upper-division, but not "general" enough :(

I'm having the same problem finding a basic English class b/c Western doesn't recognize the other 3 English classes I took for credit. They were upper-division, but not "general" enough :(

That sucks, I'm sorry. What are you going to do now?

and by the way, I called the admissions office...they are not done calling applicants for the 1/24 interview...so keep crossing your fingers guys!!
My friend was interviewed for Dec and she submitted hers in August.

Last edited:
Congrats on those who got an interview for 1/24, is it possible to know what GPA you had? Thanks

i don't know about the second interview block GPA, but the first interview block average GPA is 3.2 - 3.3 (they told us that).
Also, I submitted my application in early or mid October and received my interview for Dec 6.

by the way, did anyone received an acceptance letter after new year and rejection letter before Christmas? (I have not received anything yet...)

i got a call today for an interview on 1/24

I got a call for the 1/24 interview. I submitted my supplements on 9/19.

Hello all,

This is in regard to the previous post I made about the letter I got...I physically saw the letter, and it says "hold"...not "alternate"...my sister said, she saw alternate on it, but they were explaining how the process works and we will eventually get a accept, reject or alternate status.

I am actually a little disappointed because they never said a "hold" was an option at the interview...and now we have to wait till after all the interviews are done??? This sucks :( But I guess, there is nothing we can do :(

and in response to the person who has not received anything...I would definitely call the admissions office, because everyone should have received a letter by now....and the way it looks, acceptance were given out before xmas, and the rest are holds... :( Like I said before, the admissions office said they did not send any rejection letters...only acceptance and holds....

I finally heard from Adcom today. They sent me a letter questioning 4 of my courses. I am really suprised since no other school has had an issue with my courses and prerequisites. I took them at major college/universities. I will have to call them about it to see if anything can be done. If I have to take 4 classes again, I will have them cancel my application. I have no more $$ this semester for additional classes. I am supper dissappointed :scared:. Good luck to every one else. This seems like a really good school, but they are very particular about the prerequisites.

Any one else receive an phone call for interview? I submitted to Western even in late of October but it's before USC. However, I haven't heard any thing from them yet. I'm kind of nervous now. Should I contact them?