2009 western university..anyone yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Need help dont know what to do

I got into western and usc so now i am confused which one i should pick
everyone says that usc is very hard and they drop out and then western is much better and a relax school

which one is better and i will know for sure i will pass everything and become a pharmacist

Please help right away

thanks

I know this is a serious question but I wouldnt think twice if I was accepted to USC matter fact I would be honored truthfully lol

Members don't see this ad.

Need help dont know what to do

I got into western and usc so now i am confused which one i should pick
everyone says that usc is very hard and they drop out and then western is much better and a relax school

which one is better and i will know for sure i will pass everything and become a pharmacist

Please help right away

thanks

USC no questioned asked. One of the top programs in the nation. Honestly you cant pass up that oppurtunity. If it was liek UCSF or UCSD and USC now that is a tough decision, but this should be a simple one!

Any one that is on the alternate list hear anything yet?

Last edited:
Both are great schools with great locations(situated in SoCal), therefore various opportunities for rotation sites in SoCal. Obviously, USC has been around longer therefore they have a larger alumni base. WesternU pharmacy school is about 13 years old and doing quite well for that age. I got accepted to WesternU so I'm kind of biased towards WesternU.:D But hey it's your decision. Everyone here on the alternate list is rooting for you to go to USC. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are great schools with great locations(situated in SoCal), therefore various opportunities for rotation sites in SoCal. Obviously, USC has been around longer therefore they have a larger alumni base. WesternU pharmacy school is about 13 years old and doing quite well for that age. I got accepted to WesternU so I'm kind of biased towards WesternU.:D But hey it's your decision. Everyone here on the alternate list is rooting for you to go to USC. Good

Yea, we might be on the alternate list, but that doesn't mean we don't know what school is better!

Last edited:
Both are great schools with great locations(situated in SoCal), therefore various opportunities for rotation sites in SoCal. Obviously, USC has been around longer therefore they have a larger alumni base. WesternU pharmacy school is about 13 years old and doing quite well for that age. I got accepted to WesternU so I'm kind of biased towards WesternU.:D But hey it's your decision. Everyone here on the alternate list is rooting for you to go to USC. Good luck.

Us being on the alternate list has nothing to to it with....if u ask anyone, they will tell you USC is in a category of itself....it's nothing close to Western ! Like a previous post said, it's a tough question if comparing it to Ucsd or something
like that...

Trust me, if u ask anyone they will say USC over Western anyday! But like I said that is what I would have done if I had applied to USC ....and that was by honest personal opinion...

Us being on the alternate list has nothing to to it with....if u ask anyone, they will tell you USC is in a category of itself....it's nothing close to Western ! Like a previous post said, it's a tough question if comparing it to Ucsd or something
like that...

Trust me, if u ask anyone they will say USC over Western anyday! But like I said that is what I would have done if I had applied to USC ....and that was by honest personal opinion...

LOL...I told USC (or the recuitment coordinator, Mr. Peter Dean), that after hearing what they had to say and offer at one of their pharmacy information sessions, I did NOT want to apply to their school. I would never choose a school solely based on reputation (correction...I would deter from a school with a REALLY BAD rep). For me, it's about their mission statement and the type of pharmacist they want to produce. As for what I said about not wanting to apply to USC, the coordinator told me that if I applied for Fall 2010 (I'm only a junior and won't be getting a degree until Spring 2010), that I would already have a spot for an interview. There's nothing wrong with USC, it just wasn't for me. I couldn't imagine being a USC student. It just wasn't a 'fit' for me. So I would have to disagree about picking USC over Western. Although I declined Western, it is a better 'fit' than USC (and a WAAAAAAAAAAAY better 'fit' than Loma Linda) for me.

Does anyone know when they are going to send us the forms for the immunizations and stuff? It said in the acceptance letter they would send them to us but I have not received my form yet.
Thanks

Does anyone know when they are going to send us the forms for the immunizations and stuff? It said in the acceptance letter they would send them to us but I have not received my form yet.
Thanks

When you send in your deposit, you will get two letters from Western. One is about your email and the second letter will have a website on there that you will need to go to to print out everything you need enable to meet the requirements (prereqs, physical, etc) to attend Western. Everything will be due on June 1st. Western will not mail you any forms.

When you send in your deposit, you will get two letters from Western. One is about your email and the second letter will have a website on there that you will need to go to to print out everything you need enable to meet the requirements (prereqs, physical, etc) to attend Western. Everything will be due on June 1st. Western will not mail you any forms.

If everything is due june 1st what if you are on the alternate listtttt :eek:

Updates:

So my friend called admissions today because he was going insane. The lady said there are over 200+ alternates (wow! :eek: quite unbelievable and I'm a little skeptical about this number because when I talked to Admissions a while ago they said the final alternate list is quite short since there are only 120 spots in the entering class they didn't want to leave everyone waiting for no hope).

Everyone on the hold list have been rejected or have been transferred to the alternate list. She did confirm that they have received a few declines and a couple of spots are opening (as expected because this year all the pharmacy schools are sending out acceptances early and during similar time frame). She said admissions are in the process of preparing to send out some more acceptances (but very very few at this early stage). Since there is no ranking, the admissions is re-evaluating the top applicants on the Alternate list right now.
The most movements on the alternate list is mid-may (when they receive all the decline or acceptances) and in June (updated transcripts). My friend also asked what he can do right now to increase his chance, she said the only thing he can do is finish taking all the pre-req with excellent scores.

Updates:

So my friend called admissions today because he was going insane. The lady said there are over 200+ alternates (wow! :eek: quite unbelievable and I'm a little skeptical about this number because when I talked to Admissions a while ago they said the final alternate list is quite short since there are only 120 spots in the entering class they didn't want to leave everyone waiting for no hope).

Everyone on the hold list have been rejected or have been transferred to the alternate list. She did confirm that they have received a few declines and a couple of spots are opening (as expected because this year all the pharmacy schools are sending out acceptances early and during similar time frame). She said admissions are in the process of preparing to send out some more acceptances (but very very few at this early stage). Since there is no ranking, the admissions is re-evaluating the top applicants on the Alternate list right now.
The most movements on the alternate list is mid-may (when they receive all the decline or acceptances) and in June (updated transcripts). My friend also asked what he can do right now to increase his chance, she said the only thing he can do is finish taking all the pre-req with excellent scores.

thanks for the info!

EDLKIM: Did you get accepted to MCPHS-BOston? Are you planning to go there? PM me if you want to be roomies in the fall if you decide to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
EDLKIM: Did you get accepted to MCPHS-BOston? Are you planning to go there? PM me if you want to be roomies in the fall if you decide to go!

Hi, I did get accepted to MCPHS-Boston but I am waiting to hear from Western & USC first (my preference is Western). My family is from CA so my parents are hoping I would stay in SolCal. If it wasn't for my parents, I would be hopping on the first plane with a one-way ticket to Boston. :) But I will let you know if I do go to Boston by the end of May.

I have a question.

On the Pharmcas website it said for 2008, 98 applicants were accepted for a class size of 120 seats. Does that mean 22 were pulled off the altnerate list? :confused:

Is it me or am I even more nervous, and anxious for Western results rather than USC? At least for USC we get a waitlist ranking number so we know if we have hope or not, but for Western you get nothing so how can you determine if you have a chance or not? :confused::confused::confused::confused: It's like staying in the dark from now till August 10th.

I have a question.

On the Pharmcas website it said for 2008, 98 applicants were accepted for a class size of 120 seats. Does that mean 22 were pulled off the altnerate list? :confused:

Is it me or am I even more nervous, and anxious for Western results rather than USC? At least for USC we get a waitlist ranking number so we know if we have hope or not, but for Western you get nothing so how can you determine if you have a chance or not? :confused::confused::confused::confused: It's like staying in the dark from now till August 10th.

good question! I would like to know the answer to that too!!!

And I totally agree with you about the nervousness because of not knowing where we are ranked!!! :(

I have a question.

but isn't that for last year? it says entering class of 2008.

that's kind of odd because usually the number accepted is equal to or greater than the entering class size, because not all accept.

Statistics for 2008 Entering Class Acceptees *
Number interviewed - 434
Number accepted - 92
Estimated entering class size - 120
Estimated male - approx. 21%
Estimated female - approx. 79%
Number out-of-state - 1

* Data as of April, 2008

Application Criteria for 2009 Entering Class
Expected GPA of accepted students - 3.41
Minimum overall GPA considered - 2.50
Total number of new entrants expected - 120

Since the data was taken as of April 2008 so after the last interview session. I am assuming that this is before Western pulled people off the waitlist and after people declined their offers. Maybe that's why the number is not equal to or greater than the number accepted????

Maybe I should call Western to ask them. If Western doesn't give us waitlist ranking, then maybe they can give us some kind of information to let us know if we have a chance or not because a lot of people might be reapplying in June.

I know it's a little too early but I'm looking for a roommate. The house is new and has 2 separate rooms. It is located about 10 minutes away from Western. Rent is $450 per person. I am a guy just in case you want to know.

but isn't that for last year? it says entering class of 2008.

Oh I was looking at last year's statistic to get a rough idea of how many alternates got accepted. I just want to know on avg how many alternates would actually get accepted, and how many students are on the alternate list.

Ok I had a longggg talk with WU Admin.
I asked her about the pharmcas information regarding to last year's class, and she said it was true as of April 2008. After the last interview they only accepted 92 applicants. Eventually 28 people did get pulled off the alternate list to fill in those spots (the top 28 altnernates and she hinted that it looks like this year's list too).
However at the end of the admissions period (August 10th) there were a total of 45 people who got pulled off the alternate list and actually accepted Western's offer of admission. many of the alternates declined the offer and went somewhere else.
Western's non-ranking policy is "truly torturous" even she doesn't like it because she understands what we go through. She said although it's non-ranking but she knows the admin do have top alternates. For the re-evaulation, they will be mostly focusing on essays and short answers to see how we are different from each other, assuming that we did similarly during the interview.
One information she gave me is that starting this week some alternates will be getting a phone-call from Western to fill up some of the seats available because they do not have a full class right now! :xf::luck::xf:.:luck::xf::luck::xf:(let's pray that it's us)
Also it's a good idea to start reapplying starting in June.

I asked her about the pharmcas information regarding to last year's class, and she said it was true as of April 2008. After the last interview they only accepted 92 applicants. Eventually 28 people did get pulled off the alternate list to fill in those spots (the top 28 altnernates and she hinted that it looks like this year's list too).
However at the end of the admissions period (August 10th) there were a total of 45 people who got pulled off the alternate list and actually accepted Western's offer of admission. many of the alternates declined the offer and went somewhere else.
Western's non-ranking policy is "truly torturous" even she doesn't like it because she understands what we go through. She said although it's non-ranking but she knows the admin do have top alternates. For the re-evaulation, they will be mostly focusing on essays and short answers to see how we are different from each other, assuming that we did similarly during the interview.
One information she gave me is that starting this week some alternates will be getting a phone-call from Western to fill up some of the seats available because they do not have a full class right now! :xf::luck::xf:.:luck::xf::luck::xf:(let's pray that it's us)

Thank you for this bit of information!

Thank you so much for looking into this and providing us the info....:)

I definitely agree with praying that its us! I think we deserve it! haha :)

Best of luck to everyone! :)

45/1xx = Still good numbers. About the number accepted in an entire interview batch.

Uuugh, I'm having trouble logging into my western email again. It's mail.western.edu right? The login page looks different and since they changed it I haven't been able to login. Is anyone else having that problem?

To anyone who just got accepted: are you able to log in to Banweb? If so, what do you use for the pin? Thanks!

The number should be 192.

Statistics for 2008 Entering Class Acceptees *
Number interviewed - 434
Number accepted - 92
Estimated entering class size - 120
Estimated male - approx. 21%
Estimated female - approx. 79%
Number out-of-state - 1

* Data as of April, 2008

To anyone who just got accepted: are you able to log in to Banweb? If so, what do you use for the pin? Thanks!

your pin was emailed to you in your university email. You can call the registrar's office and have your pin reset to your 6 digit birthday.

The number should be 192.

The pharmcas website said 92, and I talked to WU yesterday (Elaine - the really nice lady, I think that's her name) and that's what she said unless WU wants to give us false hope...yet again. Can someone call Western to see if it's true.

The default pin is the last two digits of your birthday year and the last four digits of your social security number.

The default pin is the last two digits of your birthday year and the last four digits of your social security number.

Thank you! Also thanks to RX OC9 for answering my question. It works!:thumbup:

Does Anyone know if western may be losing their accreditation due to financial problems.

Could this be true and if so what % is true

I only have 2 more days so i really need feedback from everyone if they know anything please help me

Thanks

Does Anyone know if western may be losing their accreditation due to financial problems.

I only have 2 more days so i really need feedback from everyone if they know anything please help me

Thanks

where did you hear this from?

westernu's accreditation was renewed this year for another 6 years. so you guys dont have to worry about the school being in trouble. as far as i know there is no financial prob

where did you hear this from?

a rumor is just a rumor until there is a credible source. He/she probably got it from someone on this forum just as he/she pm'd me for my opinion on whether he/she should choose usc or western.

Thanks

Why would a school lose accredidation due to lack of funding. The only way I would see them losing accredidation would be if students were not passing the NAPLEX or if the school did something shady, such that the ACPE would need to re-evaluate them. Probly a rumor to prevent people from accepting!

Any female roommates looking to live in an apartment in Chino Hills?

I MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

I got an email of acceptance and the paperwork from Western this morning at 10:41 am from Daniell Mendoza. I thought it was a joke and actually called, and she said it was for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy! Hahaha she was laughing at me too. She said it was for real.:):D:D

I MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

I got an email of acceptance and the paperwork from Western this morning at 10:41 am from Daniell Mendoza. I thought it was a joke and actually called, and she said it was for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy! Hahaha she was laughing at me too. She said it was for real.:):D:D

Congrats! Were you an alternate?

What are your stats if you dont mind?

Congrats EDKIM.

You got an email and the package at the same time?

I'm getting nervous, im checking my email.

Are you in cali?

Congrats EDKIM.

You got an email and the package at the same time?

I'm getting nervous, im checking my email.

Are you in cali?

I got the email, and 2 papers (a letter of acceptance, and to send $500 deposit). Daniell Mendoza said once I accept their offer by sending in the acceptance paper and the deposit they will send me more paperwork.

By the way, I'm from Southern California.

P.S. So Elaine was giving me the right information when I called on Monday (4/20 earlier post). They are starting to send out acceptances to alternates starting this week because the class is not full right now.

Gosh, I hope I hear something as well. I'm not sure if I should call...just for the sake of calling.....

I got in too. I was on alternative list. :D

AHHHHH!!! I JUST CHECKED MY EMAIL AND I GOT IN TOO!!! i was an alternate, interviewed back in january. AHHHH!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

good luck to all still waiting!

congrats to those who got accepted...your persistence paid off! :)