2009 Match thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorazonDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last year there was a good discussion about the competitiveness of the Oto Match (now a sticky), and I was just wondering if any folks who just went through the Oto match this year (and either matched or didn't) would share their experiences with or perceptions of the competitiveness of the Oto match this year.

Is the competitiveness increasing every year or remaining about the same? Are there stellar applicants not matching? People feeling discouraged? People feeling great?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel very fortunate to say that I successfully matched this year. I think ENT continues to be a competitive field, and I would be surprised if the number of applicants stopped increasing each year. I checked on the NRMP website for match data, and this year there were 275 available spots, with 343 US grads applying, plus an additional 51 non-US grads. The overall match rate ended up being around 70%. So, yeah, it's still really competitive. That being said, I think that if you are a well-rounded applicant and are well liked within your home department, then your chances are very good. I think the most important thing is to know what type of applicant you are and then apply appropriately. Keep in mind that the goal is to match, period! Otomatch.com should have some info about various programs, and also a thread on applicant stats and the interviews they were offered (keep in mind that most of those that posted are at the stellar end of the spectrum).

I think that every applicant I talked to on the interview trail had some research experience. The great thing about ENT is that interviews with faculty are pretty benign and even the other applicants are very likeable for the most part. I guess those are 2 more reasons the field is so desireable and tough to get into.

I will say that someone at my school didn't match despite applying broadly and having multiple interviews. This person had research and was AOA. I also think this person may not have interviewed well... So personality is definitely an important factor.

Best of luck.

Note: In 2008, there were 313 US applicants and 57 non-US applicants.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, according to the numbers (i.e. match rate) the oto match was tougher this year. But I don't know if that really tells the whole story. I felt pretty confident going into the match that I would match, but after seeing so many of my well qualified (and pleasant) classmates not match (into ENT and other competetive and not-so-competitive specialties), I feel very fortunate to have matched at all.

However, It seems that many of those that went unmatched had limited themselves in some way (not enough apps, geographically limited, etc). I am not a superstar (no AOA, minimal research), but matched at my top choice.

Do well on step 1, apply broadly, get good letters, be nice, and hope for the best.

Definitely, still a very competitive specialty. But I think strategy is key.

I was not AOA, I had a decent step 1 (but not astronomical), I had a great deal of research though and matched at my top choice.

That being said, I think a lot of people forget that having a good rapport with the residents, staff and faculty can work wonders. I absolutely agree with what ORLHNS41 said about knowing who you are and applying appropriately. I think the downfall for ppl who may not match is that despite being numbers smart, they weren't match-smart. We had an AOA, all-star at my school match at their last rank, and we had an academic superstar not match at all.

Bottom line? Be real. You need to know what is a reach and you need to know your real weaknesses (being wierd, unapproachable, unfriendly, conceited, etc). Don't let your ego takeover. What is more important? Doing what you want to do in life or the location where you do it?

The Match is like any other game...strategy is crucial. Don't waste your time killing yourself for AOA, readjust your strategy to ensure success.

and we had an academic superstar not match at all.

Thanks for the candor folks. This is definitely one of the strengths of SDN (among several weaknesses.. but I digress).

@Scrubz67 - by academic superstar does that mean med school grades? does that mean med school/Step 1? or are you talking research productivity?

Thanks for the candor folks. This is definitely one of the strengths of SDN (among several weaknesses.. but I digress).

@Scrubz67 - by academic superstar does that mean med school grades? does that mean med school/Step 1? or are you talking research productivity?

You do realize that this is from last year's match,right?

Hopefully some students that just went through the 2010 Match can chime in on this topic.

Yes I did realize, but figured it was still worth trying to clarify. Any input would be great.

So, I did not match. I had only 3 interviews, so I there in lies the issue I had.

I have 239 Step 1, Top 1/3 class (not AOA), high third year grades.
I am at a non-research oriented medical school that is not NIH ranked, and has no ENT program.

I cannot say I'm not disappointed, but not matching this year was something I've always knew was a distinct possibility. Especially considering, what I've seen and heard about the applicant pool this year (which I've been told was more than 440 this year) and the difficulty of matching into ENT from my school in the past.

Sadly, if I knew what I know now about the process I think I would have gotten many more interviews and had a much better chance at matching. Currently, working on a research position to try again next year.

So, I did not match. I had only 3 interviews, so I there in lies the issue I had.

I have 239 Step 1, Top 1/3 class (not AOA), high third year grades.
I am at a non-research oriented medical school that is not NIH ranked, and has no ENT program.

I cannot say I'm not disappointed, but not matching this year was something I've always knew was a distinct possibility. Especially considering, what I've seen and heard about the applicant pool this year (which I've been told was more than 440 this year) and the difficulty of matching into ENT from my school in the past.

Sadly, if I knew what I know now about the process I think I would have gotten many more interviews and had a much better chance at matching. Currently, working on a research position to try again next year.

@rpr52121 - I'm sorry to hear it. Based on your step 1 score and your grades/rank, it clearly seems you've put in your dues to line up a solid app. I suppose this - in part - answers the above question of what academic success is (grades/rank/Step 1 can all be strong, but match or interviews are not guaranteed).

Sadly, if I knew what I know now about the process I think I would have gotten many more interviews and had a much better chance at matching.
Can you elaborate on this point? Is it safe to assume that research was an area for improvement that was highlighted by you or others?

Can you elaborate on this point? Is it safe to assume that research was an area for improvement that was highlighted by you or others?

My lack of research experience was an issue, though I have worked on two research projects form doctors at other institutions this past year but did not have that available to present prior to interviews. However, the biggest thing was the advice I was getting. None of the ENT's at my institution are involved in academia, and as a result I did not have the best advice on where to do away rotations and LOR. I truly think that was the biggest factor in that I didn't do away rotations at the right places where I could get good enough LOR, and as the LOR from my institution did not do me much good. I was actually advised to only do 1 away rotation. (I ended up doing 2.)

I think there are a number of issues that students may or may not be aware of in the application process.

1. Grades. Important. Got to honor the core rotations and your ENT elective. You just have to.
2. USMLE. You need to shoot for >240 these days. If it's less than 220, chances are slim. Step II is important now; it wasn't 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. It's even more important if your Step I is <230.
3. AOA. It's nice, but not necessary. Some programs don't even have it. Others have very strict election processes. Others have very relaxed criteria.
4. Letters of recommendation. This can kill your application. Some letters clearly indicate that the person writing your letter has no idea who you are. Get letters from people who actually know you.
5. Aways. I generally don't advise them, but some programs really desire you to rotate there. As a student, it's impossible to tell what programs these are. Nevertheless, if you choose to do an away, you've got to be on the top of your game. You need to be in the hospital first, and you need to be the last one to leave. You need to read ahead about every freaking surgery that you will see. Get the OR list. If you can't answer basic questions in the OR, you're dead. Never outshine a resident; this may impress an attending, but in the end, we all ask the residents who they can work with. Don't piss the residents off. Help out the lowly PGY-2. Take call, even if they don't require it of you. Establish your role early in the rotation. Not "What do you want me to do?" Rather, "how can I be useful?" Thank the residents and the attendings. Never argue with people on other services and definitely never argue with a resident or attending, even if you're right...unless you have a well-established good working relationship with them. If you witness a great or rare case, do some in depth research on it and approach the attending to write up a case report. If you are doing a rotation at your home institution, make sure you've already latched on to a research project.
6. Research. It's more and more important. Almost everyone had it during this round of applications. Many of the students first authors on papers and some presenting at regional or national meetings.
7. Interview. Don't fall asleep. Don't yawn. Don't let a program get the sense that theirs is your "safety program." Be engaged. Be prepared for uncomfortable questions (complain or report them later). Be honest; we can usually see through the lies. Be prepared to talk about your research in depth; don't sound like all you did was edit the photos for the paper. Shake, and shake firmly. Don't be overzealous. Instead of asking an attending "what kind of research do you do," ask "I notice you've been researching X, Y, & Z, can you tell me ... ?"
8. Thank you letters. Nice, but rarely changes things.

Hey rpr,

Unfortunately I am in the same boat with you this year, as I did not match either, after hearing from many people that I should not have a problem. I am also from a school without an ENT program that has not had much luck matching applicants in the past, and the local ENT physicians are seemingly too busy to be actively involved with any research at this time (or perhaps no longer interested?) As a result, I have sought out research projects on my own during my two away rotations, and came away with a first-author case report and second-author review research article (both ENT), along with another first-author non-ENT research project I completed third year.
I got a 245/237 (I really hope my Step 2 doesn't can me during reapplication), and was in the top 20% of my class (just missed AOA). I also just missed honors in IM & surg, and my school does not have high pass. I was offered 5 interviews, all of which I attended, but did not match.
I did match into a preliminary surgery position, where I am going to work my butt off and hope to make some connections for better LORs. I was told a few times during my interviews that I have good LORs, but there's always room for improvement.
As far as I could tell, my away rotations & interviews went well and I seemed to get along well with the residents and staff. I do know, however, that I can be a bit quiet at times, which has been misconstrued as arrogance, aloofness, or a sign of apathy in the past - which could not be further from the truth! It's difficult to say if the interviews didn't go well, since the interviewers tend to be so friendly and don't really show if the interview wasn't successful.
So basically, I commiserate with you and hope better luck for us both next year. In addition, looking at the info I provided, I was hoping maybe for some feedback from residents or others who read this site for areas that I could still improve in the future, because I do know that ENT is what I fell in love with and want to pursue. I'll just have to give it another go I guess.
Good luck.

I matched this year and it was a tough year!

All I can say is that having the magic criteria is what gets you interviews. I had >260 step1, AOA, all honors except one HP, multiple pubs in ENT, and great letters from prominent people within the field. I applied to 40 programs and got around 30 interviews. I didn't match very high on my ROL but I expected that as the programs on my rank list were very highly ranked and desirable programs that get over 20 rotators an application cycle. Luckily, I ended up at a great program in an awesome location.

ENT is definitely getting a lot tougher. I've had a few friends that were very qualified go unmatched. These days a high step 1 and grades is not enough, you have to have it ALL.

I can't comment on away rotations. Maybe I would have matched higher if I did more.

I just matched at my #1. I am a very ordinary person/applicant with extraordinary confidence that I would make it. From a lower tear med school (very good one in my opinion, but not well known). I did have a decent step 1 score (240-250) but I didn't honor surgery or a few other core clerkships. I did honor medicine at least. Did well on away rotation and got good letters. Ended up with 20+ interviews... even a couple top 10's. ENT is always competitive, BUT... Student Doctor posts shouldn't scare anyone away. If so, then it was probably a good thing. You need serious confidence regardless of your stats to make it through the match, much less residency. Remember that this field is full of awesome people which makes it so attractive. They, in turn, want to fill their spots with awesome people... so its a combo of good character and good stats. But only few have it all, so just try to have the best you can and just go for it with confidence. If you want it, go get it. Period. Glad I got my dream job.

I just matched at my #1. I am a very ordinary person/applicant with extraordinary confidence that I would make it. From a lower tear med school (very good one in my opinion, but not well known). I did have a decent step 1 score (240-250) but I didn't honor surgery or a few other core clerkships. I did honor medicine at least. Did well on away rotation and got good letters. Ended up with 20+ interviews... even a couple top 10's. ENT is always competitive, BUT... Student Doctor posts shouldn't scare anyone away. If so, then it was probably a good thing. You need serious confidence regardless of your stats to make it through the match, much less residency. Remember that this field is full of awesome people which makes it so attractive. They, in turn, want to fill their spots with awesome people... so its a combo of good character and good stats. But only few have it all, so just try to have the best you can and just go for it with confidence. If you want it, go get it. Period. Glad I got my dream job.

Hi,
Congratulations. It's good to hear you matched at your #1. Did you have much research experience?
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's one of the things that keep us going.