* * 2009-2010 Letter of Recommendation Thread * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you can send LORs right now if you want...but they are not required until submitting secondaries..that's how it is for MOST other schools too..

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied last application season, it did not call for LOR's until you received the secondary app via email. So I sent them in w/ my secondary, and got an interview, and acceptance. Maybe they misunderstood you when you called, or maybe they are changing the process to get LOR's before they send out secondary's b/c they are getting so many primary applications.

Same here

Do you think a LOR from a DO would hold more weight if you are applying to the DO school he attended?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think a LOR from a DO would hold more weight if you are applying to the DO school he attended?

It's hard to say. Sometimes it can depend on how much "pull" that particular DO has with his alma mater. Personally, I think it does lend at least a little more weight towards that specific institution.

I agree that it could have just a tiny bit more of an influence at the alma mater. Probably not enough to be concerned with, provided you have a solid app and apply early/broadly. Make sure to do your research on each school and do a lot of soul searching. That will help you really sell yourself on secondaries, which is going to be more important than your LOR writer's alma mater.

Moving to the LOR thread.

I have 2 out of 3 letters of recommendations up on Interfolio currently. Unfortunately, one of the letters is a very standard form letter. I should be thankful that this person wrote me a letter, but I am disappointed with the content. They didn't include their proper title at the school (Dean of Lvl 1 Education) rather they used Adjunct Professor. Spelling errors and just an overall underwhelming letter :(

how did you get to see the content? i thought we were expected to waive our rights and the letters were all to be confidential?

Hello, I don't post here too often but I have a question that I keep finding varying answers to. If I am retaking a class this summer and also taking one other class, do I wait to submit my transcript for my primary application until my transcript is updated in August when my classes are done? Or do I do it now and then send an updated one in August?

Thanks!

2 quick questions:

how much time/how many total days is it appropriate to shadow a physician before asking a letter? i also saw that some mention up front, and do their shadowing, then get a letter later. usually what is the appropriate time before getting a letter?

i have 3 science professor letters. i don't remember what happened, but one of the letters had my AMCAS ID on the actual letter. I don't really need to send that particular letter, as i have 2 other science letters. But i wonder how appropriate if i used that letter in the DO app process? im leaning against it, but wondering about other people knowledgeable in the process.

Hello, I don't post here too often but I have a question that I keep finding varying answers to. If I am retaking a class this summer and also taking one other class, do I wait to submit my transcript for my primary application until my transcript is updated in August when my classes are done? Or do I do it now and then send an updated one in August?

Thanks!

This sounds like an AACOMAS question rather than an LOR question. ;)

As long as you state on the primary that you are taking those classes over the summer, you can do the latter; submit the primary now and update them with a new transcript once summer grades are posted.

2 quick questions:

how much time/how many total days is it appropriate to shadow a physician before asking a letter? i also saw that some mention up front, and do their shadowing, then get a letter later. usually what is the appropriate time before getting a letter?

i have 3 science professor letters. i don't remember what happened, but one of the letters had my AMCAS ID on the actual letter. I don't really need to send that particular letter, as i have 2 other science letters. But i wonder how appropriate if i used that letter in the DO app process? im leaning against it, but wondering about other people knowledgeable in the process.

I would say that one or two full days of shadowing would be the minimum before asking for a letter. However, you should shadow as much as possible and take what you can from the experience while also getting to know the doctor himself (and vice versa).

DO schools won't care if you applied MD as well; I doubt having an AMCAS ID will have any effect. Is there no way to remove it from the letter?

No way to remove the ID number. Although, honestly, I feel its not the strongest letter out of the 3 professor LORs, so I feel its not a huge loss and I would use the other 2 first, which seems to be the requirement for most med schools (2 science LORs).

If i send in my primary app's WITHOUT my LOR's, will i still be counted as complete? I will plan on sending my LOR's with my secondaries...will my primary application still be counted as complete and will i recieve my secondaries right after with no delay?

If i send in my primary app's WITHOUT my LOR's, will i still be counted as complete? I will plan on sending my LOR's with my secondaries...will my primary application still be counted as complete and will i recieve my secondaries right after with no delay?

You do NOT need LOR to submit and be verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten this yet... but all of my LORs are already in a file at my undergrad university. If I obtain a DO LOR, would I need to send copies of it to each DO school in addition to the virtual evals file? Or would I need the DO to send letters himself to each school that I would want to send it to? I'm just wondering how exactly that works. Thank you all.

If it can be included in your undergraduate packet, do that. If not, as in my own case, I gave the physician the addresses of the schools I applied to and had her submit it that way.

She sent her letter to AMCAS, a few MD schools not using their letter service, and then to the DO schools. Overall at the most I'd say she sent out 15 letters, coming in under $10 for stamps.

Hey did you guys ask your letter writers to write you a "DO" letter? I asked my professors to write me a letter for medical school but didn't specify MD or DO!! does it make a big difference?

Hey did you guys ask your letter writers to write you a "DO" letter? I asked my professors to write me a letter for medical school but didn't specify MD or DO!! does it make a big difference?

No... the letters are supposed to be more about you than whatever school you might be going to anyway. Most people use the same letters for whatever schools they apply to.

I haven't gotten this yet... but all of my LORs are already in a file at my undergrad university. If I obtain a DO LOR, would I need to send copies of it to each DO school in addition to the virtual evals file? Or would I need the DO to send letters himself to each school that I would want to send it to? I'm just wondering how exactly that works. Thank you all.

I'm pretty sure you can put it into your pre-med file at your undergrad so that it can be sent with the rest of your packet. That's what I did and it worked out great. Speak to your pre-med office.

Usually the only difference between applicants' applications to MD vs. DO schools is (sometimes) the inclusion of a DO letter for DO schools. If it's a good letter, many people will include it with both applications. However, nobody has "DO school-only letters" from their professors. Don't worry.

Moving to the LOR thread.

I'm pretty sure you can put it into your pre-med file at your undergrad so that it can be sent with the rest of your packet. That's what I did and it worked out great. Speak to your pre-med office.

I've thought about it... but I'm not sure I'd want to include it with the other ones... I guess it depends on how well it turns out!

For the interfolio system, is it $4.00 for each letter that we send to each school? How is this cheaper then than simply mailing it? Also, do we pick the electronic copy or email copy?

Is this necessary, or is it acceptable to mail letters directly to the school?

Last edited:
For the interfolio system, is it $4.00 for each letter that we send to each school? How is this cheaper then than simply mailing it? Also, do we pick the electronic copy or email copy?

Online services such as Interfolio and VirtualEvals are not necessary; you may mail letters if you wish to, but people often find these services to be more convenient for organization.

I would gladly pay $4 so i dont' have to ask prof or phyiscian to print out, sign, and mail out many letters.

Interfolio is great, only one letter is require, prof and physicians love it, because less work for them. Less work means they will be more incline to help you out, instead of you asking "oh can i have 10 letters."

Besides, electronic copy is great, send to school usually within next day. So i don't see the point of your complain ;)

For the interfolio "Add document" window, what am I supposed to write in the title box? It says it will be displayed to the colleges when the letters are sent, so I want to make sure I'm writing the correct heading--but I have no idea what heading to write.

The DO i've been shadowing asked me to write him a draft letter of rec and e-mail it to him. What should the letter include?

For the interfolio "Add document" window, what am I supposed to write in the title box? It says it will be displayed to the colleges when the letters are sent, so I want to make sure I'm writing the correct heading--but I have no idea what heading to write.

Anyone?

The DO i've been shadowing asked me to write him a draft letter of rec and e-mail it to him. What should the letter include?

The letter should include the details you wish for him to talk about in your final letter. He's essentially asking you to write it for him, and he'll make any corrections he sees fit.

The letter should include the details you wish for him to talk about in your final letter. He's essentially asking you to write it for him, and he'll make any corrections he sees fit.

Right, but what do these letters normally have in them? Since all I did was watch him do a lot of OMM, watched him do cortisol shots, and talk to patients what would I write about myself?

Right, but what do these letters normally have in them? Since all I did was watch him do a lot of OMM, watched him do cortisol shots, and talk to patients what would I write about myself?

Talk about what you did, not so much what the doctor did. Mention your qualities and how you manifested them during the experience. Mention how you expressed interest in OMM and/or patient cases. Generally ask yourself why you think the doctor would feel you are a good candidate for medical school.

The doctor who I shadowed is going to write me a letter of recomendation. He asked me what he should put in it. I'm thinking how long I have known him, how he thinks I would be a good Doctor and have him lisit some of my credentials showing my commitment to medicine? any one else have any comments? I have no idea. I have done a search but nothing really came up on the content of LOR's. any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have known the guy for the past 3 years since he moved and started attending the same church. He is a neurosurgeon and is a real funny guy. Not that this has anything to do with it but he is willing to write me a killer LOR because he actually applied 2 cycles WITHOUT an acceptance and on the third try he finally got in. who would of thunk it.

Thats pretty much it. Give him a copy of your personal statement too.

The doctor who I shadowed is going to write me a letter of recomendation. He asked me what he should put in it. I'm thinking how long I have known him, how he thinks I would be a good Doctor and have him lisit some of my credentials showing my commitment to medicine? any one else have any comments? I have no idea. I have done a search but nothing really came up on the content of LOR's. any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have known the guy for the past 3 years since he moved and started attending the same church. He is a neurosurgeon and is a real funny guy. Not that this has anything to do with it but he is willing to write me a killer LOR because he actually applied 2 cycles WITHOUT an acceptance and on the third try he finally got in. who would of thunk it.

I guess you can throw in some leadership skills like you took charge of something. He gave you a task to do and you had enough responsibilty that he didn't need to check up on you. Things of that nature might help but thats just me. Still neurosurgeon that's a pretty good hookup right there. I'll be getting mine from a neurologist but neurosurgeon :thumbup: wish I knew one.

Thats pretty much it. Give him a copy of your personal statement too.
will do mang. thanks
I guess you can throw in some leadership skills like you took charge of something. He gave you a task to do and you had enough responsibilty that he didn't need to check up on you. Things of that nature might help but thats just me. Still neurosurgeon that's a pretty good hookup right there. I'll be getting mine from a neurologist but neurosurgeon :thumbup: wish I knew one.
thanks man. You wanna know whats really wierd? when he first started going to church I was like who is this guy. I heard he's a Doctor. Then I hear he is a Neurosurgeon. You could never tell this guy was a neurosurgeon if you have never met him. So down to earth, just overall great guy. We became good friends I guess lol He is greek so when he was in surgery I got to watch he was swearing in greek to the anesthesiologist. It was actually really fun to shadow him vs. some other doctors that I didn't know.

will do mang. thanks

thanks man. You wanna know whats really wierd? when he first started going to church I was like who is this guy. I heard he's a Doctor. Then I hear he is a Neurosurgeon. You could never tell this guy was a neurosurgeon if you have never met him. So down to earth, just overall great guy. We became good friends I guess lol He is greek so when he was in surgery I got to watch he was swearing in greek to the anesthesiologist. It was actually really fun to shadow him vs. some other doctors that I didn't know.

It's always good to build a relationship with doctors. Where I volunteer in the ER a couple of the doctors love me now. Always telling me insane trauma stories and just joke around. They know I have 2 years left of undergrad and get down personal with me. I think it's always good because who knows maybe you'll need a hook up later on. ;)

The DO schools I will likely apply to require a LOR from a DO. Pretty annoying requirement IMO haha. I don't really know how to approach one. I don't want to say "can I shadow you and then after can you write me a LOR?" I don't want them to think I'm using them, ya know? The only reason I'd even shadow a DO would be if that was the only way to get the LOR haha. Realistically, DO and MDs practice the same way. I know DO schools put all this effort into saying they look at the patient as a whole, but it's not like MDs don't treat their patients as a person as well haha.

Also, I'm afraid I'm going to come off arrogant if I did approach a DO. They are going to ask me why I'm interested in osteopathic medicine...honestly, I just want to be a doctor. I have a really good shot getting into my MD state school this year, but there are no guarantees and I would be pefectly happy going to a DO school. I just don't want to come off as "I am applying to DO as a backup if I don't get into my MD school." I'm not sure how to approach this. My dad is an MD, so they probably won't believe if I tell them I actually prefer DO over MD.

Not sure how to approach this. What do you think I should do? How did you guys approach this?

First off, I wouldn't be concerned about the D.O. feeling like you're using them when you ask for a LOR. In my experience, most physicians you will shadow expect you to ask them for a letter and are more than willing to do it. Just ask. Second, you may find you really like the D.O. option after shadowing for a while. I did. Initially during conversations I would say I'm interested in learning more about what D.O.'s do and what OMM is like, etc. After experiencing it, I feel like I would be a more effective as a physician with one more tool in the bag with OMM, so to speak. Like you, I am also applying to MD schools, but after shadowing a D.O., there is really only one MD school that I would choose over a D.O. school if accepted there, based simply on personal and financial reasons. Bottom line: most physicians are willing to write a letter for you, so don't be afraid to ask and have it come off the wrong way. Approach it as being interested in leaning more about OMM (if the physician you shadow actually uses it) and what D.O.'s do. Hope this helped!

Is it okay to give both an MD and a Do LOR to a osteopathic medical school ?

Is it okay to give both an MD and a Do LOR to a osteopathic medical school ?

I did...I think I got my seat because of my MD letter.

Don't be afraid to just ask for exactly what you need. Everyone has been through it before and you have to get used to asking people you don't know well to help you out.

What are medical schools looking for in a Letter of recommendation, a few of my recommendation writers are not familiar with medical school expectations (ie one of my recommendations is from my boss) in a LOR. Could you guys please break down all the guidelines that I should include

confused about what to do with interfolio letters...

do you get interfolio to send them to aacomas which then sends them to schools?

do you get interfolio to send them to schools directly?

any help would be appreciated.

confused about what to do with interfolio letters...

do you get interfolio to send them to aacomas which then sends them to schools?

do you get interfolio to send them to schools directly?

any help would be appreciated.

You have interfolio send the letters to the schools directly.

Hi,

When should I submit LORs ??

I would send them once your primaries have been sent out.

Hi,

I've got all LoRs except the one from the premed committee.... Is it OK to wait for that one to come in and send them all at once?

I thought LoRs go with secondaries but... does the rule change this year?

Hi,

I've got all LoRs except the one from the premed committee.... Is it OK to wait for that one to come in and send them all at once?

I thought LoRs go with secondaries but... does the rule change this year?

Yes, it would be okay to send them in all at once once your committee letter comes in.

There is no "rule", but I would suggest sending them in with secondaries, some of which ask for letters as is.