2009-2010 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my package was decent, i think. 30k covered by scholarship

i liked my package too. it's very similar to yours.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I got the rejection letter in the mail today. :(
I am bummed, but I kind of saw it coming. I still haven't heard of more than one acceptance from my interview group, so that may mean that chances decrease the later you interview- not sure. Thanks for all of the support guys, I'll try again for residency. I'd like to send a HUGE congrats to those that got in, though!! I am really excited for you guys! Maybe I will get to meet you if I come there to do an MPH after 3rd year.

...and JasonE, I don't think any less of the school just because they did not accept me. I think that disproves your theory ;)

Well, I got the rejection letter in the mail today. :(
I am bummed, but I kind of saw it coming. I still haven't heard of more than one acceptance from my interview group, so that may mean that chances decrease the later you interview- not sure. Thanks for all of the support guys, I'll try again for residency. I'd like to send a HUGE congrats to those that got in, though!! I am really excited for you guys! Maybe I will get to meet you if I come there to do an MPH after 3rd year.

...and JasonE, I don't think any less of the school just because they did not accept me. I think that disproves your theory ;)

well theres always residency i suppose. but yea of course not everyone will start to "dislike" a school after rejection/waitlist. its always variable. individual examples dont have to disprove things, especially in inexact sciences like psychology. why do you think there are rejection threads titled "Rejected..AKA places you didn't want to go anyways".

regardless, judging from you mdapps, you wanted to do an mdphd anyways and got in somewhere. fully funded mdphd > 200K hopkins md only.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
regardless, judging from you mdapps, you wanted to do an mdphd anyways and got in somewhere. fully funded mdphd > 200K hopkins md only.

This. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the rejection. I really enjoyed JHU as well, but I liked other places even better. As much as "prestige" doesn't matter to me (or at least I try my best to keep this at the low end of reasons for choosing a school), it would be tempting none-the-less to go here for many reasons, but not so tempting as the options in the frigid north considering what I want out of my education. After going through my options though I know that in the end I would make the same choice as I am making now by default, its just nice to know you had the options if that makes sense. I have one more pre-req to fulfill for my #1 and the day that happens I will be dropping everywhere else, JHU included, WL or acceptance. I guess my point is that we are all just lucky to have the great choices we have and in your case, the MD/Phd is an AWESOME option!

:luck: with everything!

I'm unsure if this is the proper place for this question, so if anyone would like to redirect my inquiry, thanks in advance.

I understand that applicants are required to complete at least 24 semester hours of courses in the Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences. But I can't seem to find any information on the website if we can use AP credits to fulfill this 24 semester hours requirement. All that I have seen are information on CLEP credits and subject-specific AP credits (natural sciences and calculus). So, I would like to know if anyone knows if we can use AP credits to fulfill the 24 semester hours requirement.

Is anyone else slightly peeved that Johns Hopkins still hasn't bothered to reject everyone that didn't get an interview? Seriously, I paid money to apply. The least they could do is send me an email telling me how much they regret to inform me that I'm rejected!

Is anyone else slightly peeved that Johns Hopkins still hasn't bothered to reject everyone that didn't get an interview? Seriously, I paid money to apply. The least they could do is send me an email telling me how much they regret to inform me that I'm rejected!

well hopkins hasn't gotten back to all their interviewees yet so maybe they are waiting on that?

I'm unsure if this is the proper place for this question, so if anyone would like to redirect my inquiry, thanks in advance.

I understand that applicants are required to complete at least 24 semester hours of courses in the Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences. But I can't seem to find any information on the website if we can use AP credits to fulfill this 24 semester hours requirement. All that I have seen are information on CLEP credits and subject-specific AP credits (natural sciences and calculus). So, I would like to know if anyone knows if we can use AP credits to fulfill the 24 semester hours requirement.

Yes, I have the same issue, and it is OK to use AP credits.

Thanks for the response, olefin. I take it that you are in the midst of the application process? If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out? Did you directly call the Admissions Office?

If anyone gets a call of acceptance this week please post!

Thanks for the response, olefin. I take it that you are in the midst of the application process? If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out? Did you directly call the Admissions Office?

Yes, I'm in the middle (or I guess I should say - thankfully - near the end!) of the application process too. I'd found out by sending in an email inquiry. If you are unsure of your personal situation, sending an email in can probably alleviate most, if not all, of your concerns about units!

This is exactly how my aid was calculated. They subtracted the unit loan ($20,500) and EFC from the total COA and covered the rest with a "general scholarship." Overall I am extremely happy with my award :D

+1

Sorry to all who got awful packages. that sucks :thumbdown:. try speaking with someone in the financial aid office. As for me, I pretty much got a full tuition scholarship. extremely sweet deal:soexcited:

Anyone else still waiting for a post-interview response? I interviewed in February and I think they are deciding today. If anyone has knowledge of the timeline, please chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else still waiting for a post-interview response? I interviewed in February and I think they are deciding today. If anyone has knowledge of the timeline, please chime in.

I concur. I'm no expert, but I believe we'll be getting calls Friday (if accepted). If anyone has any info please let us know!

I concur. I'm no expert, but I believe we'll be getting calls Friday (if accepted). If anyone has any info please let us know!

I know Dean Hicks made some acceptance phone calls last night. No clue when they interviewed though.

Any word on people that interviewed 2/25???
Are they even taking people that interviewed that late?
I'll call tomorrow and if they haven't gotten to me, I may just withdraw.

I don't think they would have reviewed your group yet... I interviewed a week earlier than you and they said our group would be looked at this week. I wouldn't withdraw just yet if you really want to go. I mean... why would they interview if they don't intend on admitting anyone past a certain interview date? That doesn't make any sense to me, but I might also just be thinking that because I'm hoping I still have a chance ;)

any news from calling? thanks for doing so

Just hold on the extra week to see what happens. It's not like one week will kill you.

What if you withdraw right as they're dialing your number? :)

Just hold on the extra week to see what happens. It's not like one week will kill you.

Clearly he is leaning towards another school. Big H perhaps? If he is no longer sweating Hopkins, he should withdraw. Somebody else might get the chance to attend.

So I called to inquire about my status and was told I got in. Hopefully I can make it to second look tomorrow!!!

So I called to inquire about my status and was told I got in. Hopefully I can make it to second look tomorrow!!!

hah nice. thats an interesting turn of events. hop on the amtrak and get down here. its gonna be really nice out this weekend!

maybe this means some calls will go out tomorrow... who knows. good luck to everyone waiting!

Ha! That is weird since I thought people from 2/25 and later will be discussed on April 20. That is what they told me over the phone. Anyway, congrats! This also gives us all a bit of hope!

Hang in there, everyone!:luck:

What is the interview date next to 2/25? 3/4 or 3/11? I was told that 3/11 and 3/12 group will be discussed at the end of April. If Luver got acceptance, then the next group will be the march group which is the last, right? Is there anyone in March group who called the admissions office yet?

I interviewed on 2/26 and haven't heard anything yet. Will call them up tomorrow.

I called the office of admissions again. My group will be discussed on April 20, so I have some time to wait. They said Friday groups after Feb. 25 will all be discussed on April 20 and hear back in late April. I am not sure about Thursday groups though. Good luck everyone!

How was Revisit Weekend?

Revist/Second Look weekend was awesome. Personally I was already set on attending in the fall, but I just wanted to get a better idea of what we were going to be doing and meet my future classmates. Even so, I was incredibly impressed with the school, the faculty, the current med students, and all the prospective students. The effort put in by the school was probably to be expected, but was still nice. However, I did not necessarily expect that the current students would go to such lengths for us...the fact that they were willing to do so much really showed how happy they were. I was also really excited about all the other prospective students...I can't say I met one who I wouldn't want to have as my classmate/friend. (The sad thing is that actually 150 students were there so at least 30 of them won't be coming :()

Many prospective students who I met to were on the fence before they came, but were absolutely sure they were going to be attended in the fall after this weekend.

These videos made by the MS1's might help to give an idea how much fun the weekend was :).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuaGhVskb-I[/YOUTUBE]

(note the Ben Carson cameo)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAyQsybA29g[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with the above - revisit was so much fun! Met some really inspiring and amazing people. Many have done so much in their short two or three decades of life... makes me feel like a slacker :p

Haha. Those videos are money. Clearly Hopkins students can also have fun. Someone should give them dance lessons though.

Sad I missed it. :( But I don't think there's anyway I can attend school there with my financial aid situation. Glad everyone had fun though! Wish I coulda met y'all!

April 20 is next week! The wait is coming to an end. I really hope they are still giving out a lot of acceptances.. haha..

Anyone knows how many people have already been accepted??

the waitlist letter said we'd be contacted in April regarding whether we want to stay on. Has anyone been contacted

Hi guys,
Do you know how many people are usually on the alternate list? What are the chances of getting off it?

Thanks

so far, 134 students have been accepted (unless they recently called). an inordinate # of which go to harvard. not sure what the target # is

Last edited:
so far, 134 students have been accepted (unless they recently called). an inordinate # of which go to harvard. not sure what the target # is

The number is closer to 200 right now. Harvard undergrads are more represented this year than the year past but I wouldn't say it's an inordinate number of them.

Someone who PMed me said that they accepted 245 last year but I am not sure where they got this number. There were also only 3 people who got off the waitlist last year so they will most likely accept less people for more waitlist movement this year.

there were like 150 people at revisit i think :shrug: i got there late, but everyone was throwing around the number 150. it definitely makes sense that the number of accepted people would be higher (~200).

also, i think that hopkins usually takes ~26 or so kids from harvard each year (but this is just based on the harvard office of career services data for the most recent few years...). on the sheet they gave us at revisit this weekend, there were 22 harvard kids listed. i think the number of harvard kids they accept is high, period, but it doesn't seem too far off what they've taken in the past haha

anywho, i recently withdrew. hopkins is awesome though! just wasn't going to work out for med school

hmm guess the list was a bit old. yea i dont know if the # of harvard students was greater this year than before, it just stuck out

I know rankings have limited value but who else is bummed that Hopkins dropped to #3? What gives? Of the top schools Hopkins is located in the crappiest city and mainly just has its reputation going for it. And now that is dropping too...

I know rankings have limited value but who else is bummed that Hopkins dropped to #3? What gives? Of the top schools Hopkins is located in the crappiest city and mainly just has its reputation going for it. And now that is dropping too...

Number 3? Whatever will you do?!?!?!

once hopkins opens up their research city in montgomery county in 2030 or so they will be #1. of course this wont have any impact on students, but it will on the rankings!

once hopkins opens up their research city in montgomery county in 2030 or so they will be #1. of course this wont have any impact on students, but it will on the rankings!

What is this research city you speak of?

Don't pay it any attention.

It is beyond silly get hung up in a so called "rankings list" put out by a second rate news magazine.

The whole notion that something as complex as a medical school can be reduced to a single number on a rank-ordered list is pretty asinine.

You've got to make a decision based on what's right for you. A few years back, I turned down #1 on that list for undergrad to attend #8--at a greater financial expense--and I never looked back.

One spot in that silly list will not make a damn bit of difference four years from now when you interview for residency, or ten years from now when attempting to draw prospective patients (a large number of which confuse UPenn w/ Penn State BTW).

Don't pay it any attention.

It is beyond silly get hung up in a so called "rankings list" put out by a second rate news magazine.

The whole notion that something as complex as a medical school can be reduced to a single number on a rank-ordered list is pretty asinine.

You've got to make a decision based on what's right for you. A few years back, I turned down #1 on that list for undergrad to attend #8--at a greater financial expense--and I never looked back.

One spot in that silly list will not make a damn bit of difference four years from now when you interview for residency, or ten years from now when attempting to draw prospective patients (a large number of which confuse UPenn w/ Penn State BTW).

^^^ LOL I used to confuse UPenn with Penn State all the time ... I thought they were the same school up until last year. Felt kinda ignorant when I found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.