2009-2010 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the same boat as those who are waiting for the "letter to be signed." I interviewed March 9th and received the out of committee email on April 13th. I had not heard anything and called the office, anxiously hoping for good news. On Tuesday, Ms. Walk said the system was down and to call in the following morning. She also mentioned they had ~13 students interviewing that day and there were more to be expected the following day. Of course, I called the next day to only be informed that my letter has still not been signed and the class is currently full due to a large amount of acceptances. I am trying to remain optimistic because I do believe the recent flux of acceptances and the fact that there are still interviews being conducted is a good sign. I fell in love with Howard... and I'm ready to commit to this relationship but still I wait for the love to be returned :oops: :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as those who are waiting for the "letter to be signed." I interviewed March 9th and received the out of committee email on April 13th. I had not heard anything and called the office, anxiously hoping for good news. On Tuesday, Ms. Walk said the system was down and to call in the following morning. She also mentioned they had ~13 students interviewing that day and there were more to be expected the following day. Of course, I called the next day to only be informed that my letter has still not been signed and the class is currently full due to a large amount of acceptances. I am trying to remain optimistic because I do believe the recent flux of acceptances and the fact that there are still interviews being conducted is a good sign. I fell in love with Howard... and I'm ready to commit to this relationship but still I wait for the love to be returned :oops: :xf:

Hey everyone, I'm saddened to say this but it does not seem like hardly any waitlisted applicants will be accepted this year. The class is full and interviews were still being conducted last week. So, the "waiting faithful" can essentially forget about it...:(:(:(

Hey everyone, I'm saddened to say this but it does not seem like hardly any waitlisted applicants will be accepted this year. The class is full and interviews were still being conducted last week. So, the "waiting faithful" can essentially forget about it...:(:(:(

Dang, I feel like I could just knock you over with a feather right now and you'd take it.

Have a little faith! :slap:(that's what the little guy is saying...HAVE A LITTLE FAITH!) It's ain't over till orientation starts. And that is a loonnnnnng ways away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree!! Keep the faith :)
I hear that the waiting list moves pretty quickly after May

p.s. janice was beautiful back in the day...

Dang, I feel like I could just knock you over with a feather right now and you'd take it.

Have a little faith! :slap:(that's what the little guy is saying...HAVE A LITTLE FAITH!) It's ain't over till orientation starts. And that is a loonnnnnng ways away.

Keep the faith I saw people accepted as late as July last year just go look at the old thread, and after may 15th people holding multiple acceptance spots have to matriculate at one, thus opening space up on the roster for people....So it isn't over until class begins in July unless you got hit with the reject email....But no news is way better than bad news :xf: I will hope for the best for you guys good luck

I made super alternate!!!!:) better than nothing let get this waitlist moving now!!!!

Congrats!!

Im also a super alternate. I really hope the waiting list gets some movement relatively soon so we can all get there together :xf:

Is Howard your number one choice?

To everyone else who's first choice is Howard, do you plan on writing a letter of intent?

Congrats!!

Im also a super alternate. I really hope the waiting list gets some movement relatively soon so we can all get there together :xf:

Is Howard your number one choice?

To everyone else who's first choice is Howard, do you plan on writing a letter of intent?

Yes it def is!!!! I sent out a letter not too long ago before I got the super alternate email.

Just thought I'd throw out some love to the 'Waiting Faithful' encouragin' y'all to stay afloat. I know optimism hardly ever finds the strongest ally in reality...but the truth is reality will often catch up with optimism given a strong dose of patience;) That has been the path than many before us took to get where they are...and not just as it relates to medical school, but to life in its entirety. Think of the blessings you have in your life...that allow even this moment to be possible. Think of all the people who 'lurking' or not, would love to trade places with you. Think of all the reasons that make you want this so bad...and then remember to fight a good fight...that is your duty, your honor, and your reward. Ok, I realize that post-interview, the fight is technically not in your hands...lol..but if you gave it your best effort, then your work is done. They say no one remembers you if you come in second...to you I say, no one forgets you if you give up first!
Jah Blessings and ting!!:)

Just thought I'd throw out some love to the 'Waiting Faithful' encouragin' y'all to stay afloat. I know optimism hardly ever finds the strongest ally in reality...but the truth is reality will often catch up with optimism given a strong dose of patience;) That has been the path than many before us took to get where they are...and not just as it relates to medical school, but to life in its entirety. Think of the blessings you have in your life...that allow even this moment to be possible. Think of all the people who 'lurking' or not, would love to trade places with you. Think of all the reasons that make you want this so bad...and then remember to fight a good fight...that is your duty, your honor, and your reward. Ok, I realize that post-interview, the fight is technically not in your hands...lol..but if you gave it your best effort, then your work is done. They say no one remembers you if you come in second...to you I say, no one forgets you if you give up first!
Jah Blessings and ting!!:)

where are u from?

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is awfully quiet! Any April interviewees hear anything yet post interview? I haven't heard anything since my interview. The suspense is killing me. Howard is my number one choice and I'm really hoping for some movement soon!

Someone earlier said s/he was listed as a Super Alternate about 3 weeks after his/her interview (4/6). I myself have not heard anything, but they told my group by mid-May. So I hope to hear something by next week.

Someone earlier said s/he was listed as a Super Alternate about 3 weeks after his/her interview (4/6). I myself have not heard anything, but they told my group by mid-May. So I hope to hear something by next week.

Thanks for the update. When did you interview?

Does anyone know when people will start being pulled off of the waitlist??? They say May 15 is the deadline for people to make decisions and after that, alternates will be selected. My question is do we start hearing on May 15 or weeks after May 15?

May 15th is Saturday, so give it a few days for them to assess who is on the waitlist and who they want to pull. I feel strongly that they have not ranked their Super Alternate and Alternate lists.

After that, give it up to the day before orientation for them to contact you for an acceptance.

Wondering if any of the April interviewees got an out of Committee email or any correspondence from Howard yet since your interview?

Last edited:
What's the difference between the alternate lists (Normal vs. Super)?

same question here, also...does anyone happen to know if the lists are ranked and how alternates will be notified now that amcas traffic day is over? regular email or call?

good luck and prayers going out to everyone else waiting!

I think Super Alternates will be evaluated and pulled from the waitlist first. Not sure whether each list is ranked. I'd like to think that over the next few weeks people pulled from the waitlist will be notified by mail, but if the desire to keep spots is the way it seems, they won't have many people to pull and they will call. Calling will DEFINITELY occur as orientation rounds the corner.

Here's my thing with these lists. It seems that Super Alternates did not develop until a little bit after the class was completely full, which means that all of those applicants who were waitlisted in the beginning did not have a chance to be listed as a SA. So I wonder if the adcom ever went back, re-evaluated interviewees, and placed them on the SA list. It seems like the waitlist process was designed to put the earlier waitlistees at a disadvantage, especially if they have not been re-evaluated for the SA list. Anyone want to weigh in?

I think you're probably onto something.
When I received the notification of my super alt status, the email seemed to imply that the class was full and that they had to wait for people to accept or withdraw before they could offer more acceptances. I don't know if super alt considerations were made for those who interviewed earlier. From what I gather, super alternates are people they want to accept but have no room for at the moment. (if so, might explain why they do not have to retroactively consider previously waitlisted students?)

The email also says super alternates should hear something around May 15 up until orientation (same as all other waitlisted students)

Wishing everyone the best :love:

It seems the class was technically full by April 1st and that adcom was making their Alternate list and Super Alternate list concurrently around the end of March - the first couple Alternates and Super Alternates who posted on SDN (around the end of March/beginning of April) said they got notified about their Alternate status and Super Alternate status around the end of March/beginning of April.

On April 15, spots opened up due to AMCAS traffic rules/Howard deposit day, and it seems the spots that opened were given in a batch to a select few who had interviewed, went out of committee, and had a letter waiting to be signed without an Alternate/Super Alternate email status sent out to them (kinda like a select awesome few adcom was hoping and was able to straight accept in a batch of acceptances when spots became available).

I'm guessing something similar might happen now that the May 15th AMCAS traffic day has passed. Perhaps a few will go straight through (those who are out of committee, letter waiting to be signed, but are not [at least it seems 'yet'] on a Alternate/Super Alternate list- or maybe they will be added & notified to a list at some point. I think Super Alternates will be evaluated and pulled from the list, and then the Alternates will be evaluated and pulled form the list. In the Super Alternate notification email it said we will be notified up until end of freshman orientation (July 28, 2010). So we have a little over 2 months to keep hoping and praying!!! =)

Best wishes!!

Does anyone know when people will start being pulled off of the waitlist??? They say May 15 is the deadline for people to make decisions and after that, alternates will be selected. My question is do we start hearing on May 15 or weeks after May 15?

I called AMCAS Support Friday 5/13 to verify the AMCAS Traffic Day. The person who helped me said it was officially 5/15 but that since it fell on a Saturday they sent a Notice to schools saying it is the school's decision to use 5/15 or 5/17.

So I would assume it might take adcom a little bit of time (at least till Friday?) to hear the final decisions of the accepted since they might be still coming in. We still have time! Keeping the faith... =)

I found out I'm also a Super Alternate. Wonder how many super alternates and regular alternates there are. Also, what is the likelihood of even being accepted at this point? This waiting really sucks!

I found out I'm also a Super Alternate. Wonder how many super alternates and regular alternates there are. Also, what is the likelihood of even being accepted at this point? This waiting really sucks!

It does not look good. To my knowledge, no waitlisted applicants have been accepted yet. I've heard that most people originally accepted have accepted their offers and very few have withdrawn from Howard. I really do not mean to sound like a pessimist, but it does not look good for waitlisted applicants. :(

Hey all,

I just withdrew my acceptance from HUCM and decided to go with my state school. I hope one of you SDN-ers will get my spot! Best Luck.

It does not look good. To my knowledge, no waitlisted applicants have been accepted yet. I've heard that most people originally accepted have accepted their offers and very few have withdrawn from Howard. I really do not mean to sound like a pessimist, but it does not look good for waitlisted applicants. :(

i called the office earlier this week and they said that they are "seeing movement" in the waiting lists but with all the insanity it will take them a bit to notify people...they said to expect to hear around friday.

don't give up hope! (exactly what the lady i spoke to said also)they are accepting waitlisted applicants just haven't notified anyone yet!

hopefully this post will be blown up with good news by the weekend :)

Hey Almostthere, thanks for letting us know! And best of luck and happiness at the school of your choosing!

We're almost there guys! (no pun intended to the previous poster ;)

It seems it might just the beginning of being pulled from the waitlists. In the 2007-2008 year, on SDN people starting posting about the list moving sometime around early/mid May. In the 2008-2009 SDN thread people started getting pulled from it mid-Mayish and someone even heard around the end of June! And that's just news from people who post; there's lots of lurkers and those who don't come to SDN.

I'm really hoping some of us will hear good news hopefully by Friday or soon...spread some good cheer =)

I can't wait for one of us to post "Accepted!" soon. You all have been supportive and I wish us all the best no matter where we end up. Let's keep our hopes up! We've all heard Howard doesn't interview that many applicants every year relative to how many full applications they receive. If we've made it this far, and admissions has known their numbers daily from the beginning, they also must have a sense how many spots would have approximately opened up and will let us know, as soon as possible, whether in a batch of acceptances or a sprinkle every now and then, up till mid-July.

I can confirm that they are indeed "seeing movement". I had the very last interview day in April, was placed on Super Alternate status on the 14th of May, and then got my acceptance on the 18th. So if you're still waiting hopefully you'll hear some good news soon, too!

I can confirm that they are indeed "seeing movement". I had the very last interview day in April, was placed on Super Alternate status on the 14th of May, and then got my acceptance on the 18th. So if you're still waiting hopefully you'll hear some good news soon, too!

Hmmm, I'm wondering who you arrrrrrre....:)

Congrats Serotonergic! That means you mustve interviewed on the 28th then? I just hope I'm just as lucky soon! I guess youre part of the waiting faithful too tj?

They interviewed to the 28th?!??!! I had no idea.

I interviewed on the 14th; I thought THAT was the last day. Clearly I was wrong.

And yes, I am a waiting faithful. Waiting for...ANYTHING, really!! Anything school related that can give meaning to me quitting my F'd up job earlier than I should've.

I think Super Alternates will be evaluated and pulled from the waitlist first. Not sure whether each list is ranked. I'd like to think that over the next few weeks people pulled from the waitlist will be notified by mail, but if the desire to keep spots is the way it seems, they won't have many people to pull and they will call. Calling will DEFINITELY occur as orientation rounds the corner.

Here's my thing with these lists. It seems that Super Alternates did not develop until a little bit after the class was completely full, which means that all of those applicants who were waitlisted in the beginning did not have a chance to be listed as a SA. So I wonder if the adcom ever went back, re-evaluated interviewees, and placed them on the SA list. It seems like the waitlist process was designed to put the earlier waitlistees at a disadvantage, especially if they have not been re-evaluated for the SA list. Anyone want to weigh in?

So does this mean that the few waitlisted people that are accepted will only be super alternates? Do regular alternates even stand a chance at this point?

So does this mean that the few waitlisted people that are accepted will only be super alternates? Do regular alternates even stand a chance at this point?

Yes?? But it's all speculation. I know this is the worst part of this whole process (if it wasn't waiting for that interview!), but we will kill ourselves with all of the worrying and wondering and the what-ifs. We don't know what the adcom will do or has done. They may have gone back and re-evaluated the "regular" alternates. They may pull from the Super Alternate list, and then to be fair to those on the Regular Alternate list, pull one from there, and back and forth. We don't know. I trust that they know what they're doing. So I'm not gonna knock it.

I too was put on the super alternate waitlist last week and I was accepted this week 5/18 yayyyy!!!!:D

Good Luck to all of you who are still waiting!

I too was put on the super alternate waitlist last week and I was accepted this week 5/18 yayyyy!!!!:D

Good Luck to all of you who are still waiting!

Eeeeeeeeexcellent!! Me next, me next!!! :laugh: No seriously, adcom, I'm over here!!! :hello: Me next??

i called the office earlier this week and they said that they are "seeing movement" in the waiting lists but with all the insanity it will take them a bit to notify people...they said to expect to hear around friday.

don't give up hope! (exactly what the lady i spoke to said also)they are accepting waitlisted applicants just haven't notified anyone yet!

hopefully this post will be blown up with good news by the weekend :)

Has anyone heard anything yet? Any alternates declining their acceptances?

Congrats to those who heard on the 18th!

...still waiting...refreshing my email like a maniac...ok back to today's Google-doodle PacMan ;) ...

Good luck!

Hi guys,
I'm gonna be withdrawing my acceptance from Howard on Monday since I was recently admitted to the University of Chicago!! So there's a spot open for someone else. Also, my friend was recently admitted to Howard this week (and she was a "regular" alternate) and she also declined the acceptance. So the waitlist is moving!! good luck to everyone!

that sounds hopefull!
thanks for letting us know and congrats!
i guess that means they are re-evaluating the lists if they're pulling alternates and super alternates....hopefully the rest of us waiting hear something soon too!

hey Serotonergic

I interviewd on the last day as well were you the guy from cali? congrats:thumbup:

Hey guys, did anyone who interviewed on April 20th here back anything yet?? I haven't heard anything back at all yet....???

Hey guys, did anyone who interviewed on April 20th here back anything yet?? I haven't heard anything back at all yet....???

That sounds verrrrry promising. It seems they sent a bunch of waitlist emails on the 14th. If you haven't gotten anything, they may be waiting for someone to drop a spot so they can give it to you. :xf: :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.