2008 VCU/MCV Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AHHHHH....I'm in!!!! :eek: :)

thanks! sending tons of :luck::luck: your way

Congrats! That's awesome news! I'm not sure if the most recent response I got from Dr. WC was as hopeful as yours (she said "we're very close; hang in there"), but thanks for the luck.

Congrats again! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a reply from Dr. WC on the 29th saying I wasnt in a bad place but the IS is moving slow. She did not mention the June 1st plan B issue to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! That's awesome news! I'm not sure if the most recent response I got from Dr. WC was as hopeful as yours (she said "we're very close; hang in there"), but thanks for the luck.

Congrats again!
thanks! With that "hang in there" bit, I actually took that response as positively as mine. ;) :luck:

Congrats, and welcome to MCV.
thanks for the welcome nka!

I just got a reply from Dr. WC on the 29th saying I wasnt in a bad place but the IS is moving slow. She did not mention the June 1st plan B issue to me.
I'm not sure how to take it, but exclusion of the part B issue seems good. Best of luck to you.

I got the acceptance email yesterday at exactly 6:03pm EST! I'm OOS female! It says that we have two weeks to decide, so thats probably why there is a hiatus in waitlist movement some weeks. But good luck and keep your hopes up! :luck:

And earlier last week I heard positive news from another school and now VCU SOM, so there is still hope! =D

I got the acceptance email yesterday at exactly 6:03pm EST! I'm OOS female! It says that we have two weeks to decide, so thats probably why there is a hiatus in waitlist movement some weeks. But good luck and keep your hopes up! :luck:

And earlier last week I heard positive news from another school and now VCU SOM, so there is still hope! =D
Congrats!! :soexcited:

Nice, don't forget to join the facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11978770548

I had been silently stalking this forum but all the help and good nature responses made me join. I hope this is how everyone in medical school really is. Good luck to everyone in the same spot as me and congratulations to everyone who is in.

Congrats to all who got in! I'm really happy for you guys. Dr. WC mentioned about reapplying if I don't hear by June 1. Looks like I'm all out of luck this cycle. But there's still a glimmer of hope that I cannot kill..

Congrats to all who got in! I'm really happy for you guys. Dr. WC mentioned about reapplying if I don't hear by June 1. Looks like I'm all out of luck this cycle. But there's still a glimmer of hope that I cannot kill..

Reapply, but at least wait through June before you give up on this cycle. Things are moving, but since folks are given two weeks to make a decision when offered, the acceptances aren't going to be pouring out continuously.

:luck:

I had been silently stalking this forum but all the help and good nature responses made me join. I hope this is how everyone in medical school really is. Good luck to everyone in the same spot as me and congratulations to everyone who is in.

Ha - maybe during orientation...

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldnt take it as bad news that she is telling u to apply by June 1. She has to tell that to everyone, bc somehow if things dont work out u cant go back to them and be like hey i didnt apply bc u said so and so. From her point of view, she has to tell everyone not accepted by then to apply even if they maybe in a good position.

I wouldnt take it as bad news that she is telling u to apply by June 1. She has to tell that to everyone, bc somehow if things dont work out u cant go back to them and be like hey i didnt apply bc u said so and so. From her point of view, she has to tell everyone not accepted by then to apply even if they maybe in a good position.

Agreed :thumbup:. Get your Plan B ready, but keep hope alive.

anyone slated for the class of 2012 looking for a roommate?

I haven't found a roommate yet or a place.

neither have i, but i figure i should find a roommate before i start looking for a place. did you go to school in AZ?

Agreed :thumbup:. Get your Plan B ready, but keep hope alive.
Thanks, guys. Yup, it makes sense that she has to tell everyone to reapply. I'm already working in a lab and that is my Plan B so things are not as bad. I'll be holding my breath for the next 2 weeks.

Yay sun angels (note sarcasm)...I would have been more excited if our football team could won their bowl game againts Texas :(

dont get me started on football team woes now...i'm just starting to get the bad taste of the karl dorrell era out of my mouth

I'm OOS Female withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck to those waiting!

Last edited:
I'm OOS Female withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck to those waiting!

Thanks for letting us know! It always brightens the week to know that there is an opening somewhere. Best of luck at your chosen school!!

I have been reading the posts for awhile and have a few questions for someone like instatewaiter or nka. If someone was admitted to say, EVMS but was on the waitlist at VCU, and wanted to go VCU were they FORCED to commit to EVMS on may 15th? Is may 15th more of a soft deadline? My understanding is that the people who are receiving offers at this point are only on wait lists and have not been admitted anywhere else. How long does it take VCU to find out that Johnny out-of-state is staying in-state and even though he got into VCU, he isn't going? I would think it would take weeks and weeks to sort out all of the info. Does AMCAS computerize that process?

I have been reading the posts for awhile and have a few questions for someone like instatewaiter or nka. If someone was admitted to say, EVMS but was on the waitlist at VCU, and wanted to go VCU were they FORCED to commit to EVMS on may 15th? Is may 15th more of a soft deadline? My understanding is that the people who are receiving offers at this point are only on wait lists and have not been admitted anywhere else. How long does it take VCU to find out that Johnny out-of-state is staying in-state and even though he got into VCU, he isn't going? I would think it would take weeks and weeks to sort out all of the info. Does AMCAS computerize that process?

Well, I'm neither of the people you requested a reply from, but here's how it works. On May 15th you are required to pick a school and drop all your other acceptances. So per your example, yes, you would be "forced" to commit to EVMS. However, if you receive an acceptance from, say, VCU after May 15th, you can accept it. If that happens, you must withdraw from EVMS in a timely fashion so that you aren't holding more than one acceptance. The only thing you lose is the deposit you put down for EVMS, which, being post-May 15th, is non-refundable.

So long story short, having an acceptance pre-May 15th does not exclude you from accepting an offer off the waitlist at another school post-May 15th.

Hope that helps!

Well, I'm neither of the people you requested a reply from, but here's how it works. On May 15th you are required to pick a school and drop all your other acceptances. So per your example, yes, you would be "forced" to commit to EVMS. However, if you receive an acceptance from, say, VCU after May 15th, you can accept it. If that happens, you must withdraw from EVMS in a timely fashion so that you aren't holding more than one acceptance. The only thing you lose is the deposit you put down for EVMS, which, being post-May 15th, is non-refundable.

So long story short, having an acceptance pre-May 15th does not exclude you from accepting an offer off the waitlist at another school post-May 15th.

Hope that helps!

:thumbup: You saved me some typing, thanks.:)

Thanks for the explanation. So then it makes sense that those from out of state are willing to lose the meager deposit in exchange for in state tuition should they get into their state school. NKA, I saw that you were admitted late- do you know roughly how many offers were made after june 1st? I know each year is different but I'm just curious.

Thanks for the explanation. So then it makes sense that those from out of state are willing to lose the meager deposit in exchange for in state tuition should they get into their state school. NKA, I saw that you were admitted late- do you know roughly how many offers were made after june 1st? I know each year is different but I'm just curious.

Yes, losing the deposit is often a very small price to pay to get into the school you love with a price your wallet loves. However, it's not limited to OOS students; in-staters switch between UVA, VCU, and EVMS post-May 15th too.

Sorry, I don't, but there was some movement in the month of June because people posted on last years thread as they were accepted. All I know for sure is that only two people were accepted after I was. I don't think there was any movement the last week of June and the first 2 weeks of July though...at one point it looked like I might not get accepted because the wait list did not move for nearly 3 weeks.

Good luck everyone.:luck:

Nothing new? It can't be done already?

Nothing new? It can't be done already?

Per Dr. WC, the next set of offers should be around June 20th, then July 7th (at least for OOS, but I don't see why IS would be any different).

For people looking for roommates...
my boyfriend (rising M2) and me (lowly pre-med) are looking to get a place no more than .5 miles from MCV campus. We think it'd be fun to live with other people, especially students. He wants a dedicated studying room, so we'd like 2 bedrooms. I'm not terribly familiar with Richmond (I'm in the SF bay area right now) and not sure if there are large (>2 bedroom) apartments or houses in that area. I've been to Shockoe bottom - it's really nice. If you're possibly interested, PM me.

Just freaking out, I think all the schools I am waitlisted at are waiting till around then to release new offers.

So I've been looking around online for an apartment/studio in Virginia, and it looks like most of my finds are in The West End (Short Pump and Tuckahoe). The prices are pretty good ($700-ish, though I obviously wish it was cheaper) and the neighborhood seems more my style (suburban and, seemingly, safe), but do yall think that's too much of a drive??

I guess The Fan is my next option, I just dont know anything about the area; I've only been to Richmond once, for the interview. Any info would be much appreciated :)

So I've been looking around online for an apartment/studio in Virginia, and it looks like most of my finds are in The West End (Short Pump and Tuckahoe). The prices are pretty good ($700-ish, though I obviously wish it was cheaper) and the neighborhood seems more my style (suburban and, seemingly, safe), but do yall think that's too much of a drive??

I guess The Fan is my next option, I just dont know anything about the area; I've only been to Richmond once, for the interview. Any info would be much appreciated :)

No, that should be fine. You can always check Google Maps for directions with estimated times. Usually they're reasonably accurate.

I live near Cary and the 195, and I routinely make it to school in less than 10 minutes (plus time to park and walk half a mile to school).

I grew up in the West End -- its a great area and you can get some nice places relatively cheap there. The drive is really not that bad. I live about 15 miles north of Richmond, and I have a 25-30 minute drive. I commuted all four years to VCU for undergrad, and it's not bad at all. Richmond traffic is very manageable (unless you live in Short Pump). If you want any more information on Richmond or the surrounding areas, you can PM me with specific questions.

I live in the West End right now and I really like it. My drive to school is 15-25 minutes depending on traffic. I would reccommend looking at places off Parham and 64. Mayland (Drive?) has a big chain of apartments connected to it with good deals and very easy freeway access. It avoids all of the traffic you encounter trying to get to the freeway in Short Pump, and you're very close to any of 3 grocery stores, plus Sam's Club and Costco. (Not to mention Gelati Celesti, with gelato cookie sandwiches that are just amazing.) I'm moving out of here in July, but only because we want to shorten my husband's 30 mile drive to work.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that you DO NOT want to live in Short Pump. Sure, it's a great area with lots of apartments, restaraunts, etc. But the traffic is unbearable and you will get extremely annoyed with it. Not only that, but they're building more and more apartments and stores, so it's only going to get worse.

What is the oos list doing? Anyone heard from wc? Is it stalled or are they just waiting so they can send out a batch of offers at once?

Hey, just wanted to let you ladies know that i'm an OOS female pulling my name off the waitlist... good luck to all

Thanks for all the great info! It's exactly what I needed to hear.

(...and I'll be sure to stay away from Short Pump ;) )

Just wanted to add that you DO NOT want to live in Short Pump. Sure, it's a great area with lots of apartments, restaraunts, etc. But the traffic is unbearable and you will get extremely annoyed with it. Not only that, but they're building more and more apartments and stores, so it's only going to get worse.

Very true. It once took me 25 minutes to get out of the Walmart parking lot on a Saturday. :eek: No joke, no exageration, my husband and I timed it. The traffic was so bad nobody in line was able to get out onto Broad Street. Even on a weekday, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get around because of the mall, the other shopping, etc. I definitely wouldn't want to live there.

I've been in Richmond for a while now and I've lived in the west end, southside and downtown (tobacco row and church hill). I would definitely recommend downtown. Parking is a pain - the parking lot is not very close to the school - and you have to pay quite a bit for parking each semester...not to mention ridiculous gas prices. Right now I live on 25th and main (the tobacco row area) and I can walk to school in 10 mins - or walk to the parking lot and take the free shuttle bus to campus. Even though living downtown can be a little bit more expensive, you do save a lot of time because you don't have to commute. Also, it's very convenient to go back and forth from your apartment and campus during the day should the need arise. I really didn't like leaving at 7:20 in the morning, having to drive 20 mins with traffic and bring everything I might need for the day. Living downtown has allowed me to wake up around the same time I would normally have been leaving my apartment in the west end (sleep is a valuable thing). There is also a supermarket and a CVS basically in my parking lot, and a drycleaner in my apartment building (comes up huge for getting pants pressed and shirts cleaned for preceptor, etc).

It basically comes down to personal preference and you won't really know until you're here, but feel free to message me if you have any questions. I know of a few places around here that either I've lived in or my classmates have.

PS - downtown is pretty safe. The police have a pretty big presence down here (thanks to the relatively new police chief). The fan is nice because it is close to all the bars and it's a pretty area, but the crime seems a lot worse there. It's very dark and laid out like a maze, with tons of "places to hide." Consequently, there are a lot of breakins and things like that - not a good place to be if you are a female living alone.

I'm still crossing my fingers, please let me in!