2008-2009 U Penn (University of Pennsylvania) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted +$41k/yr merit scholarship :eek:.
Holy **** Penn, you are not making this easy!

Members don't see this ad.

holy **** pac....but penn is still like 62K total, so youd still be droppin upwads of 20gs...but that is crazy, good job boi!

i was WL tier 1....maynnne, i really liked penn 2! oh well, withdrawing...wouldnt go 2 penn over hms w/ out a scholarship neway...goodluck to everyone else!

wow, this cycles over! what a wild ride!

Members don't see this ad :)
just to clarify though= some folks were invited to the revisit directly on their status page, correct?

Correct. It says so on the status page and in the downloadable letter.

I'm curious as well tupac, are you going to choose hopkins or penn? I feel like a decision could be potentially made for you with that amazing offer, but don't know how much you loved hopkins.

Congrats though, that's impressive.

Why must they make every revisit weekend IN THE WORLD the weekend of April 25th?!?! Argh.

Anyway I was fortunate enough to be accepted but I think I will withdraw...given how many people here are on waitlists and want to go to Penn, it wouldn't seem fair to hold onto my acceptance for any longer than right now.

Good luck to everyone!

where are you planning on choosing to attend panda?

Wow, that's amazing! :eek: I remember them saying on interview day that those merit scholarships are ridiculously competitive. And I'm also uber jealous. Congrats!!

And thanks to you guys who don't want to go to Penn who are withdrawing your acceptances/waitlist spots. Us hopeful waitlist-ers appreciate it!

Wow. Congrats! I'd follow the money, but I'm not about to push you into it since I'd love to take your spot at Penn. :laugh:

Actually, congratulations to all of you who got in! And it makes me happy to see people who've posted a lot, like blurryLines, get in.

I know the wait list is huge, but I'm hoping a lot of people are going to be dropping off eventually... I am bulldoggedly determined right now. I'm riding on five wait lists, but I can only send an LOI to one and Penn's the one that's getting it.

Who should correspondences be addressed to? Gail Morrison?

Last edited:
wow, y'all were quick with your email checking this morning!

accepted. definitely going to try to go to the re-visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Way to go!!! This definitely complicates things a bit, huh?

Indeed it does... I liked Penn a lot too, but I definitely must say that I've been drooling for Hopkins since I interviewed. But at the same time, the UC's just told me I'd be $180k+ in debt for in-state public school education, so the reality of money and debt is starting to settle. In that light, full tuition scholarship looks mighty nice.

I'm going to wait until I see what need-based aid looks like at Hopkins. Needless to say, I'll be at Penn revisit too :p

Wow. Congrats! I'd follow the money, but I'm not about to push you into it since I'd love to take your spot at Penn. :laugh:

Actually, congratulations to all of you who got in! And it makes me happy to see people who've posted a lot, like blurryLines, get in.

I know the wait list is huge, but I'm hoping a lot of people are going to be dropping off eventually... I am bulldoggedly determined right now. I'm riding on five wait lists, but I can only send an LOI to one and Penn's the one that's getting it.

Who should correspondences be addressed to? Gail Morrison?

I really hope you get off the waitlist quirks! :luck:

I'm not sure how much it helped, but I sent an LOI back in February about why Penn is a good fit for me. It's the only school I sent a letter to, and also the only non-rolling school I got into. It might be a coincidence, but I can't help thinking the letter made the difference.

I addressed the letter to the admissions committee and sent it to the [email protected] address.

anyone have thoughts on here vs. Yale (maybe vs. UCLA as well too if you are feeling ambitious)

I really hope you get off the waitlist quirks! :luck:

I'm not sure how much it helped, but I sent an LOI back in February about why Penn is a good fit for me. It's the only school I sent a letter to, and also the only non-rolling school I got into. It might be a coincidence, but I can't help thinking the letter made the difference.

I addressed the letter to the admissions committee and sent it to the [email protected] address.

Thanks so much! I wish I'd sent my LOI when I wrote it back in February, but no use crying over spilled milk, right? :)

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted. I'm a first year here at Penn so if any of you have any questions just let me know!

I just got my pre-interview rejection, (finally!), so I decided to pop over to the Penn thread to see who got in :)

Congrats to everyone!!!

Tier 1. I want to crawl in a hole :'-(

Or at least I want a reason - this has been one hell of a week (emphasis on the "HELL"); the stress hormones are not treating my body very well right now.

But congratulations to all who made the cut; I hope you guys enjoy next year!

I'll still keep my glimmer of hope in the waitlist movement possibility, as slim as it might be....

Accepted. Any current students care to comment on how kind the financial aid offers are? I loved Penn, but I'd be giving up a lot of money elsewhere if I came here.

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted. I'm a first year here at Penn so if any of you have any questions just let me know!

Hey Malicious ;)

Congrats for those of you who got in! And for those of you who were waitlisted, I can empathize, I was wait listed at this time last year and was equally heart broken. I was lucky enough to make it off the waitlist (and yes, I wrote an LOIntent, and yes, it most likely helped), and hopefully some of you will too!

Haha, I've already gotten emails about LOI/advice for waitlist. I figured I'd just answer the general questions here in case others found it helpful:
I was at the "top of tier 1", but not invited to Penn preview. I wrote an LOI as soon as I could, stating why Penn would be a good fit for me and why I would be a benefit to Penn, and making it crystal clear that if accepted I would attend Penn, no strings attached. It was absolutely my top choice school no matter what happened.
I was taken off the waitlist early may before May 15th, notified by a delightful phonecall around noon.

Hope that helps!

:luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
anyone have thoughts on here vs. Yale (maybe vs. UCLA as well too if you are feeling ambitious)

Penn > Yale, just because of location, lol. There's much more to do in Philly than in New Haven, which I think makes for a richer med school experience personally.

I guess i'm trying to sort out my chances. I wasn't invited to the preview, and my letter includes the following "you have been placed on the first tier waitlist--among those at the very top of the list."
Did every body who wound up in tier one have the same letter?
Or is there some difference even within the tiers?

I guess i'm trying to sort out my chances. I wasn't invited to the preview, and my letter includes the following "you have been placed on the first tier waitlist--among those at the very top of the list."
Did every body who wound up in tier one have the same letter?
Or is there some difference even within the tiers?

You're in a good position. :)

There's the people with your message + Penn Preview.
People with just your message.
People like me who are just Tier 1.
And then people who are in Tier 2.

You're in a good position. :)

There's the people with your message + Penn Preview.
People with just your message.
People like me who are just Tier 1.
And then people who are in Tier 2.

Thanks quirks. Sometimes a little encouragement goes a long way on a day like this.
Best of luck to you.
Here's crossing my fingers that we wind up as first years together in August.

WL Tier 1.

Congrats to all accepted!!

Fellow WLer's, the new few months are gunna be fun....

I just started a new thread entitled 2009-2010 waitlist. For some reason I can't seem to properly post the link (perhaps that's why I was waitlisted), so feel free to do so if you can figure it out!

Penn > Yale, just because of location, lol. There's much more to do in Philly than in New Haven, which I think makes for a richer med school experience personally.

Re: the location of philadelphia vs new haven, as a Pennsylvania native and having been to upenn numerous times to visit friends, I personally feel philly is a bit of a crap city . . . things are really expensive there, there's a general rundown feeling about it, plus crime especially the break-in and assault reports at upenn undergrad this year is pretty bad.

Don't know too much about new haven, but regardless, our classmates are what are going to make the med school experience for us, not so much the location.

Philly is nowhere near as expensive as the other major northeast coastal cities. If you don't like the prices, stay out of cities entirely.

As for "run down", that's your own opinion. I don't see what you mean about the crime. I haven't heard anything this year at all. I can't find any statistics that are out of the ordinary. Things do happen, though Penn's undergrad campus in particular is very well insulated and patrolled, so I find your statement about undergrad problems highly unlikely.

I personally think the location of Penn is one of the best in the country if you like an urban medical school. It sounds to me like your issue might be with cities in general or you may not have many to compare to.

Congrats to everybody who got in! Just another first year offering to answer any questions you guys might have, on Penn, living in Philly, etc (especially if you have any non-trad student concerns). For those on the waitlist, especially if you're invited to preview or on Tier 1, it's never a bad idea to let a school know why you want to go there -- it can only help. Good luck! And if you have the chance, DEFINITELY come to preview -- it's an amazing weekend, and will convince just about each & every one of you that you want to come here.

Until then, check out some of the ridiculousness we get ourselves into (it's not all studying, I promise):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDdoLUrBL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJjUssCZx4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvicjivXePs

Last edited:
i for one find those videos to be F**ing hilarious

I am soon to be a 2nd yr Penn vet student looking for a roommate for my 2 bedrm/2 bath condo in University City. It has a gated courtyd, hardwood floors, carpeted bedrooms each w/ full bath & a modern kitchen You can see picts of building & condos @ www.4300spruce.com. I have a cat. PM if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.