2008-2009 Stanford Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A med student interviewer at Stanford told me:

"All i know is that the first round of calls went out this week. i know the one person i interviewed in the first batch got it...i think they all interviewed a few weeks before you did, so you might not even come up until the next admissions committee meeting in a few weeks. that's all i know though. keep your head up...it's still too early!! :)"

I interviewed on 10/15 though, so I didn't even think there were interview dates a few weeks before that! So, I'm not totally sure what this means.

Yes, Stanford does send rejection and waitlist letters - they did last year, anyway. It's not just silence until March - we are supposed to hear something either way.

Does this confirm that the admissions committee meets once a month, on the first Thursday of every month? It's starting to sound like it, right?

I am not convinced that they CALLED PEOPLE in the order that they interviewed. Its possible that Nov interviewees got called before Oct interviewees. I *am* convinced that not all of the accepted people have received calls so far, since Dean Garcia told CALIbration that he had a lot of calls to make.

Lastly , when I called on Monday January 5th, Greg Vaughn said that I should hear something within 10 days, and if not I should call back. So either that means that Dean Garcia is in the process of making calls over the next several days, or that my letter is in the mail and I will receive it over the next several days. Either way, I hope to hear *something* by next Wednesday.

Again, if you got in, please post on the acceptance thread so the data is available to next year's applicants. It takes so long to read through the thread looking for all the "I got the call!" posts.

:eek: I guess it's true when they say women love to over analyze everything(Ok, I'm generalizing :D). I havent even interviewed yet but you guys are making me feel like the wait will be excruciatingly painful.

Members don't see this ad.

So they finally got around to me... Got an interview invite this morning. :)

Although they are getting to the last people now. All that was open was the last week of February (which luckily coincides with a week that my dad is at his new San Francisco house I have yet to see!).

I interviewed on 12/8. I was given the good news by my faculty interviewer on 12/30 and by my student interviewer on 1/5. I just got the "fat envelope" call from Dean Garcia last night.

Since I interviewed in December, I do not think they are accepting people in exact order of interview. However, I was waitlisted at Stanford two application cycles ago, which may have some impact on this whole thing.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted, snail mail, my house is 20 min away from Stanford.

Last edited:
this whole process is so random. don't let it keep you down. I'm still waiting on UPenn and I've been complete since August!

this whole process is so random. don't let it keep you down. I'm still waiting on UPenn and I've been complete since August!

I've been complete since July at U Penn, but it doesn't matter as much.

Stanford is an entirely different situation for me.

Got an interview invite today!! I'd given up.

I'm sorry to hear it too, Shemarty, but maybe the waitlist at Stanford moves pretty well?

Waitlist too! And the waiting begins...congrats to all those accepted!

Got an invitation to interview yesterday, 1/10. I've been complete since mid-August (read forever). Only Tues-Fri of the last week in February were available for interview dates.

Never been to the west coast so I'm pretty excited about visiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an invitation to interview yesterday, 1/10. I've been complete since mid-August (read forever). Only Tues-Fri of the last week in February were available for interview dates.

I love reading your opinions of the schools on your MDApps...good luck.

Yeah there were a few more spots open the day before. But it seems like we are in pretty much the last pool of interviewees... The way I look at it is that Stanford is one of the most selective to interview people, so I should be glad to have even gotten the opportunity to interview.

Also Linguini when are you interviewing since I too am in that last week??? (You can PM me if you don't want to post it)

Yeah there were a few more spots open the day before. But it seems like we are in pretty much the last pool of interviewees... The way I look at it is that Stanford is one of the most selective to interview people, so I should be glad to have even gotten the opportunity to interview.

Also Linguini when are you interviewing since I too am in that last week??? (You can PM me if you don't want to post it)

Well, I believe they actaully interview through April, so we may not be in the last pool of interviewees, hopefully!

Well, I believe they actaully interview through April, so we may not be in the last pool of interviewees, hopefully!

That's what I thought too. I was just confused with it only letting us schedule through Feb... but it is better for us if they interview into April, since otherwise we might just be interviewing for waitlist spots (which would make me cry... :()

I have a co-worker whose daughter went to Stanford so I asked about her timeline for admissions. She didn't get invited until the end of February and went to her interview in March and got accepted with no waitlist. Stanford doesn't have a reputation for filling their class quickly.

Last edited:
That's what I thought too. I was just confused with it only letting us schedule through Feb... but it is better for us if they interview into April, since otherwise we might just be interviewing for waitlist spots (which would make me cry... :()

Yeah, I agree! They only let me pick spots in feb. as well, but I guess they must just set it up that way.

Yeah, on my waitlist letter they said that they aren't done with their admissions cycle until June, so they clearly take a long time with interviewing. Have hope! Best of luck!

I love reading your opinions of the schools on your MDApps...good luck.

Thanks! I love sharing my thoughts. :)

I was surprised when I thought February was the last month to interview considering they don't seem to be accepting many people lately. It makes more sense that they do interview later even though those dates weren't available yet. I wish I could have picked a later date so I'd have more earned time to use up, but whatever. I'm excited none the less!

Better to interview early at a school that "rolls" like Stanford. When I interviewed last cycle in mid April, I was told that I was interviewing for a waitlist spot. Crushing!

wait listed.
wait list position declined.

Hey ya'll, I got the call from Dean Garcia last week. I'm kind of shocked, but excited, yet confused. From the looks of this thread I have no idea how they can stomach to waitlist some of you guys, you guys have SICK numbers.

Anyways, now I'm really confused and don't know what to do. I'm going to make a new thread soon asking for advice and information from SDNers to help me make a decision.

Hey ya'll, I got the call from Dean Garcia last week. I'm kind of shocked, but excited, yet confused. From the looks of this thread I have no idea how they can stomach to waitlist some of you guys, you guys have SICK numbers.

Anyways, now I'm really confused and don't know what to do. I'm going to make a new thread soon asking for advice and information from SDNers to help me make a decision.

Congrats! I thought you were all set on UCLA?

Thanks. :) Yea i was all set on UCLA, but things became complicated. For instance, I thought Stanford would cost me a lot more, but it looks like it will be around the same price, maybe cheaper. :confused: Anyways, once i sort my thoughts im gona make a thread.

Shemarty - I'm shocked you were WLed, sorry to hear, you should def be proactive about it and not give up. How much movement do they typically have off the WL?

I saw in past years that they accept like 2-3 SDNers off the waitlist in June. Shemarty, your app is so awesome that I have to believe you're on the top! You should definitely push hard like MJ says because I bet you could do it.

A caveat: I have no knowledge on the geography of California.

I'm planning a weekend trip to Stanford/San Francisco with my mother. How far is Stanford from San Francisco? Is there public transportation from San Francisco to Stanford or would it be smarter to rent a car? Is there public transportation around San Francisco and how is it? What airport should I fly into? Nerdy question, but how far away is the redwood forest and are there tours (yes I'm a tourist) leaving from San Francisco to get there?

I appreciate your input!

I'm planning a weekend trip to Stanford/San Francisco with my mother. How far is Stanford from San Francisco?
About 35 miles
Is there public transportation from San Francisco to Stanford or would it be smarter to rent a car?
There is public transportation. The CalTrain runs from San Jose to SF and has a stop in Palo Alto. I'm pretty sure Stanford has a free shuttle from the Caltrain stop to campus. Maybe a student can chime in as to which shuttle you need.
Is there public transportation around San Francisco and how is it?
Yes, there is plenty of public transportation around SF but you can get around pretty well if you don't mind walking a lot. Check out BART's website. You can transfer to the BART tracks from CalTrain, but they are on 2 different ticketing systems so you have to pay extra money (and you run the risk of getting shot in the back by a BART officer). There is also a network of buses in SF if you need to stray far from the rail lines. There are a lot of homeless people on/around the buses.
What airport should I fly into?
SFO would be most convenient if you need to use public transit. I think SJC is closer though, and probably more convenient if you are renting a car/driving. I would avoid OAK unless you get a good deal. You can get to Palo Alto from there on public transit but it's very far.
Nerdy question, but how far away is the redwood forest and are there tours (yes I'm a tourist) leaving from San Francisco to get there?

I appreciate your input!
There are actually several redwood groves up and down the area. The closest are the Muir Woods, which are a part of the NPS. This forest is located about 10 miles N of the Golden Gate bridge. Parking fills up pretty quickly and it is crowded on the weekends (relatively speaking). If you wind up renting a car, I would recommend driving through the Santa Cruz mountains. You could check out Big Basin Redwoods State Park and pop out on the coastal side of things. Santa Cruz and other beach towns are much more accessible if you have a car.

If you have the money, rent a car and check out the greater Bay Area. Too many people come here and get stuck on visiting the same 10 spots in San Francisco. If you do rent a car, however, it will be hard to find parking in SF. You can still opt for public transportation to get to/around the city itself.

Thanks so much for your response, ScottyT! I'll definitely consider what you've said when planning my trip. I think we will probably rent a car for venturing out of San Francisco but walk/ride public transportation when in the city to avoid parking issues/traffic.

Hi I was wondering how do the AdCom check whether you have completed the pre-requisite courses prior to matriculation?

thanks!

I saw in past years that they accept like 2-3 SDNers off the waitlist in June. Shemarty, your app is so awesome that I have to believe you're on the top! You should definitely push hard like MJ says because I bet you could do it.

it appears that everyone who has heard from stanford so far has either gotten in or WLed. have they not sent out rejections yet?

it appears that everyone who has heard from stanford so far has either gotten in or WLed. have they not sent out rejections yet?

I know of somebody who got a rejection letter, snailmail, the same time that I got a WL letter. So, I guess this means that Stanford does not waitlist all the non-acceptees post-interview the way UCSD/Baylor does.

Is there public transportation from San Francisco to Stanford or would it be smarter to rent a car? What airport should I fly into?
I highly recommend flying into San Jose - it's closer to campus and is less crazy/busy. You only need one train (Caltrain) to get from SJC to campus, whereas you have to switch trains (Bart + Caltrain) when coming from San Francisco. From the Stanford/Palo Alto Caltrain stop, there are a number of shuttles that will get you to where you need to go; check out http://transportation.stanford.edu and look for the Marguerite shuttle maps/schedules.

The Caltrain and Bart schedules/maps are also available online. If you have trouble deciphering it all, please let me know and I can be more specific. Enjoy your visit!

yO, so did anybody who got accepted receive the admissions packet in the mail. ie the "big fat white envelope" im wondering if there are any scholarships in there because it sounded like i may be getting one from my convo with the dean. does stanford give scholarships with acceptances (like dgsom) or wait until fin aid packages/?

this is gonna be the toughest decision of ma lifee, ma lifee, ma lifeeee.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: ===== > :idea: is gonna take a whileee.

yO, so did anybody who got accepted receive the admissions packet in the mail. ie the "big fat white envelope" im wondering if there are any scholarships in there because it sounded like i may be getting one from my convo with the dean. does stanford give scholarships with acceptances (like dgsom) or wait until fin aid packages/?

this is gonna be the toughest decision of ma lifee, ma lifee, ma lifeeee.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: ===== > :idea: is gonna take a whileee.

That, my friend, is a wonderful problem to have! Congratulations on your dilemma!

im wondering if there are any scholarships in there because it sounded like i may be getting one from my convo with the dean. does stanford give scholarships with acceptances (like dgsom) or wait until fin aid packages/?

Stanford does not offer merit scholarships.

So I just returned frm Stanford after a tendon transfer surgery...only doc on west coast who does them.......and there's an interview invite in my email! ironic but still very happy. i was complete 10/25.

So I just returned frm Stanford after a tendon transfer surgery...only doc on west coast who does them.......and there's an interview invite in my email! ironic but still very happy. i was complete 10/25.

Too bad you couldn't have just done the interview in the pre-op waiting area. Two birds with one stone. ;)

Congrats!

does anyone know how the stanford WL works? do they rank you in it?

Just got off the phone with Dean Garcia 30 seconds ago........I got accepted!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

:D:D:D:D:D
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

oh, and if it helps, I interviewed on Dec 1

Last edited:
for those who got a call last Thursday, wanted to check-in and see if anybody received their packet...still waiting for mine.

Got a call last Thursday and just got the fat envelope this Monday (1/12). It contained a letter from the admissions committee dated 12/19. No financial aid info yet. Hope this helps!

Hey, how does stanford let you know if you've been invited for an interview? I got a missed call from them and no voice message was left. Does this mean I should be expecting an interview?

Hey, how does stanford let you know if you've been invited for an interview? I got a missed call from them and no voice message was left. Does this mean I should be expecting an interview?

I got mine via email. The status page was also updated. Definitely worth calling them back, but that's not the normal method of interview invitation. I'm surprised they wouldn't leave a voicemail.

you all are so lucky to interview, get accepted or go to stanford. I just got rejected from stanford for the fourth time in my life. i guess it is never to be then.

does the status page change if u're rejected? mine will be coming soon, like tomo...

you all are so lucky to interview, get accepted or go to stanford. I just got rejected from stanford for the fourth time in my life. i guess it is never to be then.

F:eek:ur times:confused: what 1. in High school, 2. to transfer in undergrad, 3. for graduate school and 4. for med school? or just four times for Med school? Either way you have gotten into some great schools, congrats on UCLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.