*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sucks. I currently have no secondaries to work on, because Drexel and Rush and Mizzou are taking forever; Loyola is too but at least they screen

Members don't see this ad :)
So I "got" Carver's secondary today, I say "got" because I got the e-mail invite today but they send you a login and password via US mail, so I can't post the prompts until that comes in the mail.

Either way, Iowa is busy screening!

woohoo.

NVM...they are sending username and password via us mail...how queer is that?

got the email too...what a let-down.

however, i have plenty of apps to keep me busy in the meantime! :rolleyes:

I know, I was so excited then I realized I can't even see the prompts until I get the login/password in the mail.

I know seriously, oh well though more time before having to write more... I'm actually caught up as of today! I have written and submitted every secondary I received... phew... Definitely through the worst of it, but I feel secondary fatigue coming!!

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/admissions/secondary/index.shtml

PERSONAL ESSAY (REQUIRED):
How will you evaluate your success as a medical student? (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page. No particular format, font or spacing is required.)

EMPLOYMENT/ACTIVITIES HISTORY (REQUIRED):
Using the format below, give us a brief chronological account of your major activities and employment, including volunteer and summer activities, for the five years immediately preceding your proposed entry to medical school.

Recommendations from three college or university faculty from any
department. (It is recommended that at least one be from a science department faculty member.) If you attended or are attending an institution that provides a premedical committee evaluation report, you may have the committee report submitted in lieu of the three separate recommendations. Applicants who have been out of college for five years or more may submit two letters from employers and one faculty letter. It is highly recommended that applicants provide additional non-academic recommendations as well (i.e. employment, community service and health care experiences).

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/admissions/secondary/index.shtml

PERSONAL ESSAY (REQUIRED):
How will you evaluate your success as a medical student? (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page. No particular format, font or spacing is required.)

EMPLOYMENT/ACTIVITIES HISTORY (REQUIRED):
Using the format below, give us a brief chronological account of your major activities and employment, including volunteer and summer activities, for the five years immediately preceding your proposed entry to medical school.

Recommendations from three college or university faculty from any
department. (It is recommended that at least one be from a science department faculty member.) If you attended or are attending an institution that provides a premedical committee evaluation report, you may have the committee report submitted in lieu of the three separate recommendations. Applicants who have been out of college for five years or more may submit two letters from employers and one faculty letter. It is highly recommended that applicants provide additional non-academic recommendations as well (i.e. employment, community service and health care experiences).

So does this mean you got the secondary email invite? If so, when were you verified and are you IS or OOS? What is the login info?

Members don't see this ad :)
So does this mean you got the secondary email invite? If so, when were you verified and are you IS or OOS? What is the login info?

Yeah, it was an email invite. Verified 6/18, OOS (but I lived in Oregon until 2006).

Yeah, it was an email invite. Verified 6/18, OOS (but I lived in Oregon until 2006).

Cool. I was verified a smidge after you were, and graduated from an OR high school (although am no longer a resident). I will keep my fingers crossed!

im currently unemployed and out of school but a lot of the secondaries are asking about what i will do in the next year
should i write them what i plan on doing? or should i wait until i get a job? i'm worried that if i don't get a job soon, i will miss out on applying early. is it a big deal if i dont have anything yet but just submit my plans?

my unemployment is seriously holding back my secondaries from being submitted. just for the record, i AM job hunting. i just havent gotten one yet

Phew.

I just finished editing the main index to include links to each school's secondary application thread.

As you can see, there are a few URLs missing (the ones that lead to the school's secondary application website.)

Please go check out the front page and PM me the missing URLs.

Thanks!
Shemarty

Wow, Shemarty. You're a little scary, but thanks. :)

i think i can officially call this wave 2 of secondaries. 8 in my to-do pile at the moment.....

Yeah, thanks Shemarty. My computer desktop and my desk at work could use a little organizing too... :p

Shemarty deserves to get in anywhere she wants for doing this!

shemarty deserves to get in everywhere, period. :) GO SHEMARTY!!!

hey are there any ppl who were verified early on amcas and still dont have the tufts secondary? or, has anyone called to ask about this problem??

thanks

Verified on day 1...no Tufts.

still no tufts for me either... last one. but i still have NYU to work on

Shemarty deserves to get in anywhere she wants for doing this!

I am guessing her recommendation letters may have mentioned "attention to detail" once or twice!

As my volunteer boss says: Thanks for all that you do Shemarty. :)

I am guessing her recommendation letters may have mentioned "attention to detail" once or twice!

As my volunteer boss says: Thanks for all that you do Shemarty. :)

:) I'm glad you guys are finding the newly organized index helpful.

"Attention to detail" is just a euphemism for 'has OCD." ;) But yes, I do enjoy organizing things.

I know the sooner the better, but do you guys think it will be detrimental if I don't turn my secondaries in until I finish the MCAT on Aug. 7th if I started receiving them this week? I'm not even going to have an MCAT score, so I don't think they are even going to look at them, right?

I know the sooner the better, but do you guys think it will be detrimental if I don't turn my secondaries in until I finish the MCAT on Aug. 7th if I started receiving them this week? I'm not even going to have an MCAT score, so I don't think they are even going to look at them, right?
they wont look at your file until everything is in. so why not work on those secondaries during the month you will spend waiting for the MCAT scores to come out

I recieved an e-mail from UCLA inviting me to do a secondary. Woo hoo

The committee would like to know about your interests, experiences, and personal characteristics which are relevant to a career in medicine. Please only provide information you believe is important. It is not necessary or required to supply information in all sections. Each response is limited to 800 characters. A character counter for each response has been included to assist you with this limitation. You can save your information by clicking either the 'Save' or 'Update' buttons at the bottom of this form. The information entered on this form will not be available to the Admissions Office until you electronically file the information by clicking the 'Submit' button and pay the document fee.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

\What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

For all of you verified but still waiting for certain secondaries, I was able to get the Tufts, Georgetown, and Creighton secondaries all my clicking "Forgot Password?". I got the passwords immediately and have had no problems completing the secondaries.

Stanford is up. I'll update and PM Shemarty when I get logged in and see the essays.

Edit: Here are the essays

6. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school.

The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

7. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals.

1. Private Practice

2. Health Policy

3. Academic Medicine

4. Public Health

5. Health Care Administration

b. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

The Stanford School of Medicine curriculum integrates the scientific basis of medicine with clinical practice. A key element of this curriculum is a requirement for in-depth didactic and scholarly activities through participation in a scholarly concentration of your choice. Details of the curriculum and scholarly concentrations are available at http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum, which we ask you to review prior to answering the following essay question.​
c. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?
Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

Health Belief and Attitude Survey

Give YOUR opinion for each item using the responses below. Prior to any data entry for the potential use of this information for any research purpose, your name and unique identifiers will be removed from the data set to ensure anonymity.
For research purposes, so won't be used to evaluate your application.

Last edited:
holy cow. i'd heard rumors about rush's notorious secondary! how many ppl do you think decide at this point not to apply? WOW.

Me...

It's not that bad. 1000 characters isn't even 200 words in most cases. The questions are also ones you've undoubtedly seen before. I'm going to try to knock this out by tomorrow.

Thank god those essays basically stayed the same or else that would have taken daysss

an experience working with "people of diverse backgrounds"???? What is that supposed to mean? Don't you see all kinds of people EVERYWHERE??

From the Rush secondary:
The final deadline for receipt of Letters of Recommendation is December , 1899.

how long does it usually take to receive your secondaries after submitting your amcas app

Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September, 2009. (1000 characters max)
July 2009--------------------really?!

Last edited:
Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September, 2009. (1000 characters max)
July 2009--------------------really?!
Oh snap! I thought it said 2008. How am I supposed to know what I'm going to do next summer? I'm going to put that I have no clue.

idk if it has been posted before but UC Davis just got my app:

"This is to acknowledge receipt of your application to our medical school"

Oh snap! I thought it said 2008. How am I supposed to know what I'm going to do next summer? I'm going to put that I have no clue.

they just put the app out. i think we can assume they meant 2008 and will fix it sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.