2007 USNEWS Internal Medicine Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCMD2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to share the top 25?
-CC

Members don't see this ad.

Just saw the top 3 (don't have access to the premium content)... anyone care to post them?

BTW, noticed quite a shift in the top 10 med school rankings this year from years past.

-Q

These lists are sooooo insignificant!! Just there to fuel some egos and deflate others' :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
CCMD2005 said:
Anyone care to share the top 25?
-CC

Who cares!!! Do you really think anyone really gives 2 ****s that program X is No. 3 and program Y is less prestigious at No. 8???

Everyone has their own reasons for choosing a residency program and I guarantee you that 99.9% of IM residency applicants did NOT create their ROL based on US News IM "rankings."

:rolleyes:

Sent to me by a friend who asked me what I thought of the list. I never know what these rankings mean. Ultimately, my decision was based on the fit of the program and location. Personally, I also think the methodology is kinda screwy (med school deans or something). Some programs love to tell students where they are on the list. Anyway, I had it, so why not post it.

1. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
2. Harvard University (MA)
University of California–San Francisco
4. Duke University (NC)
5. University of Pennsylvania
6. University of Washington
7. Washington University in St. Louis
8. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
9. U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center–Dallas
Yale University (CT)
11. Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)
12. Stanford University (CA)
13. University of Chicago (Pritzker)
14. Mayo Medical School (MN)
15. University of California–Los Angeles (Geffen)
16. University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
17. University of Alabama–Birmingham
18. Emory University (GA)
Vanderbilt University (TN)
20. Northwestern University (Feinberg) (IL)
21. Cornell University (Weill) (NY)
University of California–San Diego
23. University of Pittsburgh
24. Baylor College of Medicine (TX)
25. Boston University
26. University of Colorado–Denver and Health Sciences Center
University of Rochester (NY)

UT southwestern #9 ?? Cool

U of M number 8. My ego is sufficiently stroked.

Are these the IM rankings or the Med School Rankings? Sort of looks like it is the med school listing, since it lists "Harvard", and not the hospitals/residency programs associated with Harvard, (i.e. MGH, BWU, etc), and lists Mayo Medical School, not the Mayo School of Graduate Med Education, etcetera.

They're Internal Medicine Residency rankings. The med school rankings are a little different.

These are IM program rankings. I believe they just lumped the Harvard Medical School affiliated programs together into one. They explain the methodologies as follows:

"Specialty Rankings: The rankings are based solely on ratings by medical school deans and senior faculty from the list of schools surveyed. They each identified up to 10 schools offering the best programs in each specialty area. Those receiving the most nominations appear here."

This is straight from their website. To me, this sounds like a "reputation amongst academic physicians" ranking. This list really does not do justice to the fact that even the best programs may not be the right fit for everyone, and vice versa. For those who care about general reputation of programs, this list may provide a rough estimate of what academic snobs think. :thumbdown:

mangogurl said:
Ultimately, my decision was based on the fit of the program and location.

5. University of Pennsylvania

Mango's got five on it..

IM isn't like ER where the elite programs like Denver and Pitt may not have the same kind of "brand name" recognition as less established ER programs like Duke.
The same institutions with "prestigious" universities and med schools tend to have the most "prestigious" IM programs.

Just as the highest ranked college or med school isn't necessarily the best fit for everyone, the same goes with IM programs.

For those applying to IM next year, just realize there's tons of good programs in terms of both training and fellowship opportunities all over the country. So consider where you would like living for 3 years before you apply...the rankings can then serve as a rough guide as to which programs are well known in those region(s).

Just my 2 cents.

Great...UCSF is tied w/ Harvard. Now if could only get my family to stop asking if the residency I am going to is affiliated with San Francisco State College!!!! At least "academic snobs" will appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucla2usc said:
Great...UCSF is tied w/ Harvard. Now if could only get my family to stop asking if the residency I am going to is affiliated with San Francisco State College!!!! At least "academic snobs" will appreciate it.

kind of like if you are going to brigham, people will be like, oh, why are you going to utah? ;)

Hate to disagree, but these are *medical school* rankings in speciality categories, such as the best medicine training for medical students. The other specialities included rural medicine, FP, pediatrics, women's health, AIDS, and drug abuse. They only evaluated the 126 accredited medical schools when coming up with these rankings.

The methodology is here:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/07med_meth_brief.php

The main rankings page is here:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex_brief.php

Now, one could argue that these rankings evaluate a residency program *by proxy* since its the residents and the structure of the residency that give a medical school program its reputation. These rankings were based soley on "ratings by medical school deans and faculty", and ranked based on the popularity of a schools name coming up.

Thus, these rankings mean NOTHING when comparing residencies. Hardly scientific.

US News rankings mean nothing, period. It's a collection of irrelevant facts with randomly assigned weights.

Not to antagonize the people who think these lists are useless, but anyone have a more recent Internal Medicine list? I am mainly curious as to how much things change and if there are any programs that have busted into the top 25 or fallen out of it.

I know there are thousands of people who think these lists are useless, so please spare everyone from having to read about how useless you think they are.

Not to antagonize the people who think these lists are useless, but anyone have a more recent Internal Medicine list? I am mainly curious as to how much things change and if there are any programs that have busted into the top 25 or fallen out of it.

I know there are thousands of people who think these lists are useless, so please spare everyone from having to read about how useless you think they are.

THANK YOU. I'm tired of hearing the same old complaints about these lists from people. Just take it or leave it.

Anyways, I wish I was at my home computer where I have a copy of the older list, but just eyeballing it, the top 10 or so schools did not seem to change but I did notice Vandy, Northwestern, and Cornell did drop a few spots on this list. Also, don't quote me, but I don't remember Boston U and Colorado being on the old list.

anyone...anyone...
looking for the 2007 or 2008 (if it's out) IM program list

the above disclaimer still applies - i.e. i don't care if you don't think these lists are important

anyone...anyone...
looking for the 2007 or 2008 (if it's out) IM program list

the above disclaimer still applies - i.e. i don't care if you don't think these lists are important

Johns Hopkins University (MD)

Harvard University (MA)

University of California–San Francisco

University of Pennsylvania

Duke University (NC)

University of Washington in Seattle
Washington University in St. Louis

University of Michigan–Ann Arbor

Yale University (CT)

Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)

U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center–Dallas

Stanford University (CA)

University of Alabama–Birmingham

University of California–Los Angeles (Geffen)

Vanderbilt University (TN)

Mayo Medical School (MN)

University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill

Cornell University (Weill) (NY)

University of Chicago (Pritzker)

Northwestern University (Feinberg) (IL)

University of California–San Diego

University of Pittsburgh

Emory University (GA)

Mount Sinai School of Medicine (NY)

University of Iowa (Carver) h

University of Rochester (NY)

Agree with Bamboo they're supposed to be the real deal regarding medicine residency (wonder why they clumped MGH, BWH and BIDMC).
The links aus1ander placed just lead to the old typical med school rankings (which are different even in 2007), but if you do a google search with USNEWS internal medicine rankings 2007 you get this list as a first hit (well, just the free preview, not the whole thing)

I think about the only thing that can make me motivated enough to actually log in and post a reply are these bogus ranking list threads. Just like aus1ander wrote, the USNWR list is not a residency ranking list. Read his post for the methodology of how the list was created. It is a list of medical schools and their supposed strengths in training students in specific areas (other categories ranked include rural medicine and HIV/AIDS). That is why Harvard is ranked but there is no ranking for MGH or BWH (it's the medical school that is ranked, not some sort of aggregation of every HMS affiliated hospital).

I'm not criticizing the use of a residency program ranking list, I'm disputing that such a list even exists. As far as I know there is no residency program ranking published by anyone.

Agreed with toxicscutmonkey, I actually called customer service for US News & World Report because I was considering buying the premium edition for IM rankings. They said it is for MEDICAL SCHOOL RANKINGS, not IM program rankings. They explained that it's under the IM category because their med program has strengths in their IM department. And if you remember the list of choices IM was in... neither "AIDS" nor "Drugs/Alcohol Abuse" are not residency programs, for example.

Agreed with toxicscutmonkey, I actually called customer service for US News & World Report because I was considering buying the premium edition for IM rankings. They said it is for MEDICAL SCHOOL RANKINGS, not IM program rankings. They explained that it's under the IM category because their med program has strengths in their IM department. And if you remember the list of choices IM was in... neither "AIDS" nor "Drugs/Alcohol Abuse" are not residency programs, for example.

Not only that, but the subspecialty rankings are more for patients, not so much for training. Just because a program is #1, 2 or 3 doesn't mean it's the most competitive or the best for training. High correlation, yes, because you're more likely to have more patients coming through and thus more exposure, procedures, ...

Hey MSI-Scrub
do you have the rest of the ranking?
and why Baylor is out?