2007 NC Med Schools Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
good luck to all of you waiting to hear back from ECU... !!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

WOW! #1 post on page 17... good stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I just got back from the UNC admissions office. I asked if there were still any acceptances left, and he (Eric) replied, 'very, very, very, VERY few. So keep your fingers crossed.'
That's cheery, huh?
He also reiterated the next week thing, so I guess I'll be calling in on Monday. Oh, and he said the committee is still meeting. Don't know about Hoole though.

Well, I was rejected at ECU. Time fore the reapplicant process. Sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that CrewBHB! I am sure if you do an exit interview with Dean Peden he will let you know what to do this year to improve your application.

Good luck to you. don't give up hope

Well, I just got back from the UNC admissions office. I asked if there were still any acceptances left, and he (Eric) replied, 'very, very, very, VERY few. So keep your fingers crossed.'
That's cheery, huh?
He also reiterated the next week thing, so I guess I'll be calling in on Monday. Oh, and he said the committee is still meeting. Don't know about Hoole though.

I take that as NONE. anyhow, what is happening on Monday?

Hey Crew sorry to hear that. That also puts a little cloud on my day as well since I have a letter on the way too. Just so you know, ECU does have the history of rejecting people who are applying for the first time (unless your stats are crazy, 4.5 gpa and 50 on the MCAT:eek:) just as a screening tool. Don't worry too much about it. I was pretty down last year when I didn't get in but it was actually good for me to kinda re-evaluate what I wanted to do. Talk to the dean and find out what you need to do to improve. That's what I plan to do if I have to. Good luck.

G

In my mind I'm go[ing] to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine, and can't you just feel the moonshine
And ain't it just like a friend of mine, to [keep me waitin' on the sideline.]
And I'm gone to Carolina, oh----in my mind.

Carolina is on my mind! How about you? :D

I take that as NONE. anyhow, what is happening on Monday?

Nothing's happening on Monday, but I'm leaving the country on Wednesday, so they told me to call in then and check. Hopefully I'll find out something before I leave.

Did anyone else hear from ECU besides CrewBHB?

I heard. Rejection, sadly. I think ECU knows exactly what kind of person they want, and I'm not that person. Oh, well. It's a great school, but I guess I'm not a good fit there.

I heard. Rejection, sadly. I think ECU knows exactly what kind of person they want, and I'm not that person. Oh, well. It's a great school, but I guess I'm not a good fit there.

Sorry to hear that, applegreen. I think you're right on with regards to ECU looking for a specific person. They certainly have practices of accepting people that are inconsistent with other NC schools. I've heard of them accepting people with MCATs in the low 20's and rejecting people with scores in the mid 30's. I'll never understand their selection process. Don't let it get you down.

Members don't see this ad :)
applegreen and CrewBHB, sorry to hear about the ECU decisions. I would agree, I really think they look for a specific kind of applicant to help fulfill their mission. Still, it's never fun to hear a negative answer!

Good luck to those waiting to hear from ECU or the other NC schools... and have a good holiday weekend guys :)

Hey applegreen sorry to hear that bad news. I'm expecting my letter any day now.
G

applegreen, sorry to hear about ECU... at you least you can still look forward to hearing back from UNC...

has anyone heard anything from UNC lately?

applegreen, sorry to hear about ECU... at you least you can still look forward to hearing back from UNC...

has anyone heard anything from UNC lately?

I called Lisa today, she said, "Really no updates to give out since the committee is not revealing anything to us, best bet would be calling around middle of next week"

Also she said, "They can't provide update on application status unless the decisions are mailed out"

I called Lisa today, she said, "Really no updates to give out since the committee is not revealing anything to us, best bet would be calling around middle of next week"

Also she said, "They can't provide update on application status unless the decisions are mailed out"

Thanks for the update!

I kind of figured that since Hoole has been out for awhile, and won't be back in the office until next week.

I was told that they are trying to have all decision out (in the mail) by May 1. That is a long wait for someone who needs to start making moving decisions within the next couple of months.

Thanks for the update!

I kind of figured that since Hoole has been out for awhile, and won't be back in the office until next week.

I was told that they are trying to have all decision out (in the mail) by May 1. That is a long wait for someone who needs to start making moving decisions within the next couple of months.

May 1st, man that's a long wait...Lisa sounded pretty stern about the decisions being made my middle of next week

yeah, it is a long wait...

i spoke with a friend of mine who is completing her 2nd year at UNC yesterday. She told me that she didn't get her waitlist letter until two weeks before the May 15 deadline for AAMC. After recieving the letter, she was accepted two weeks later.

So, on the bright side, if we are all waitlisted, it won't be too long after when we get a definite answer from Admissions....

;)

I just got an interview invite from ECU. Would I be interviewing for the waitlist at this point?

congrats drawkward!!! that's is pretty amazing to get an invite in April. I hope you bang it out. Good Luck! :luck:

Since I'm the resident ECU lover I had to give you a congrats. I don't think the class is full yet so I wouldn't worry. Even if you are waitlisted, there will be a pretty good amount of movement after May 15th so you may only be on the waitlist for about a week. It happens to plenty of people. One of my friends last year got his waitlist letter like on Monday and had an acceptance by Wed. There will be movement at ECU. Don't stress and have a relaxed day. Now if I could only hear something from them that would be great.

G

So I just called ECU and found out that they haven't made a final decision yet...I don't know how to react to that news.

You should take it positively.... "no news is good news." You dont have rejection or waitlist as of right now... maybe very soon an acceptance. Patience is key right now. I applaud you for calling them to find out. Good luck and hang in there.

You should take it positively.... "no news is good news." You dont have rejection or waitlist as of right now... maybe very soon an acceptance. Patience is key right now. I applaud you for calling them to find out. Good luck and hang in there.

HAHA thanks for the uplifting message...

So I just called ECU and found out that they haven't made a final decision yet...I don't know how to react to that news.

When did you interview? When I called and they said they had met about my file it was almost six weeks to the day.

G

When did you hear from them? Did you call them or receive the acceptance in the mail?

Oh yeah.... congrats on the invite to ECU. Good luck.

When did you interview? When I called and they said they had met about my file it was almost six weeks to the day.

G

I interviewd March 12th...I believe it was a fine monday morning and there was just one other guy with me

No nothing yet. I'm sure it didn't go out until maybe today so that means the earliest I might see it would be Thursday. I'm still hoping.

G

i'm a uncc grad, travelled a bit, and will be applying in the 2008 cycle. hoping for an acceptance from ECU or UNC for $$$ purposes. all that to say, this thread is scaring the hell out of me. it appears i have a long application process ahead...

PHDMD2B, good luck...I interviewed the day before you (I think) and I'm still waiting. I hope for good news for the both of us soon. Good luck. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I called a couple days ago and got the same answer. I interviewed in Jan. I guess I'm glad I haven't gotten rejected, but I'm so tired of waiting for news. My lease runs out soon, hopefully I'll hear something before then:confused:

I interviewd March 12th...I believe it was a fine monday morning and there was just one other guy with me

Having interviewed in mid march would have been a quick turn around for ECU. Like I said I interviewed in mid Feb and my application didn't make it to the committee until last week. Either way, you havn't gotten a rejection so you're still in the hunt. Good luck.

G

ps Also take solice in the fact that they have only have 60% of the class full. Still plenty of seats. UNC on the other hand..........................

Hey, So I have been accepted into ECU's Summer Program for future Doctors, has anyone done this or know a person that has, because I am wondering what to expect as far as course material is concerned as well as how the program relates to the BSOM admissions(In a practical sense, not the political version I gather from the ECU people)?

Thanks and goodluck to all,

In case you're wondering, Interviewed UNC on 11/01/06 and ECU on 2/19/07 and have yet to hear anything from either!

I was just at ECU yesterday. Like a previous post, Sheila said the class was 60% full.

But I wanted to pass along that I confirmed that they have been sending out both acceptances and rejections the entire season. So if you went in front of the committee and they said no, a letter would have gone out. My point being, if you haven't heard you truly are still very much in the running. Keep hanging in there.

I dont know if it's because May 15th is getting closer or I'm bored at work but I have been looking for new posts all day. This might be one of those days when the "waiting period" gets the best of me.

Good luck again to everyone waiting to hear good news.

I finally got my letter today in the mail and it was thick. I am going to proudly be attending ECU in the fall. I don't exactly know how to feel right now. I think I see my friend EtOH in my future. Looks like a late day going to the lab tomorrow. Good luck to everyone waiting. Hope to see some of you soon.

Greg

I finally got my letter today in the mail and it was thick. I am going to proudly be attending ECU in the fall. I don't exactly know how to feel right now. I think I see my friend EtOH in my future. Looks like a late day going to the lab tomorrow. Good luck to everyone waiting. Hope to see some of you soon.

Greg

Congrats!! Have fun

Congrats :hardy: ... I was thinking about you today. Hope to be in your shoes soon.

congrats PHDMD2B!!!:D

I've been trying to stay away from SDN for longer stretches. Sorry to read that applegreen & crewBHB didn't hear good news from ECU. Have you guys heard good news from any of your other schools? I'm rooting for you! -for all of us! I may not post that often, but everyone here is so supportive and positive. It's great to have that kind of support for such a grueling process that most of my colleagues and friends don't understand.

Good luck to everyone as we get closer to May!!!:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.