2007 Match support/Interviews/Rejections-Egyptians/Arabs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LooLi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Please post your credentials, visa type, what specialty you're applying for, how many programs, and interviews/rejections you got.

I found out on other forums, that programs usually send invitations/rejections in waves. Plus, people can give you their input on the program if they'd interviewed already or know from previous applicants.

Let's help each other out, I'll start with mine:

2005 grad (including pgy internship). GC holder. Applied to 51 IM and Path programs with step1 94/233, passed CS, and still to write ck in early Jan, got 2 interviews (1 path, 1 IM) and 6 rejections (5 Path, 1 IM) :(
Still hopeful for more interviews to come my way..

Members don't see this ad.

Eh ya gama3a ma7addesh hena beyetkallem 3araby?? and applying in this year's match?? I sure hope not!

Good Luck you all of you either way

Hey LooLi, I am just wondering why they do reject alot of ppl, even those who got high scores in da steps of the USMLE!! I've heard about sum1 who did something like 20 interviews and they did reject him in all of them :S !! Is dat rite and what is da reasons they do reject them ?!
and by the way iam wishing u looli the best and inchallah they will accept u very soon , Gd Luck

!! well iam a new user too as looli and i've noticed dat alot of ppl do view da topics and they dun bother themselves replying!! guyz we have 2 help eachothers and share our experiences ! wish u all da best

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
Please post your credentials, visa type, what specialty you're applying for, how many programs, and interviews/rejections you got.

I found out on other forums, that programs usually send invitations/rejections in waves. Plus, people can give you their input on the program if they'd interviewed already or know from previous applicants.

Let's help each other out, I'll start with mine:

2005 grad (including pgy internship). GC holder. Applied to 51 IM and Path programs with step1 94/233, passed CS, and still to write ck in early Jan, got 2 interviews (1 path, 1 IM) and 6 rejections (5 Path, 1 IM) :(
Still hopeful for more interviews to come my way..

How Come?!!!
check this out
http://www.studentdoc.com/usmle-scores.html

Thank you SuM1 for the thoughtful reply.

I think it's getting harder and harder each year for IMG's to match because of the enormous increase in no. of Applications as I have heard from a Program Director. You get more IMG's fighting over the same no. of spots, you do the math!! :( Do you know now why they do reject alot of qqualified candidates? They get bombarded by record no. of applications that it turns it into a buyer's market (the programs being the buyer and you're the seller, selling your soul, LOL) and they get to pick and choose the best of the best of those applicants and very easily reject those that meet their criteria and might well have good score and impressive credentials.

Many factors contribute to your success in landing an interview, I assume you all know that, we won't go there..

I don't know , but to land 20 interviews, that person must have had really impresseive credentials. Moreover, to blow them all ????? you have to REAAALLY screw up your interviews... They've already decided that you might very likely become a resident in their program. The rest is up to you, how you carry yourself, how well you present /"SELL" youself, if you may. How well you interact with other residents, your attitude and personality, etc...

I've already got 8-9 rejections, all saying that I have impressive background but they have thousand of applications competing for a few spots!
Anywy, Rabbena yesahhelha 3al gamee3.

Wish you all the best of luck, too:)

Thanks Sister Looli for ur reply, And Wish u the best of luck :)

Thanks SuM1
DustyDog, What about the scores? I read the link you sent. I couldn't exactly get the point :oops:
actually that chart is cited from the AAMC's "Charting Outcomes in the Match" and it had the average scores of AMG's, IMG's have different average, though. It's a very informative pdf if you're going through the match, it gives you an idea of what specialties AMG's and IMG match into. what's competitive and what's not, and impact of publications/research on getting a position.

you can visit and download the pdf here :
www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

Good Luck
Salam
LooLi

Hi,
Where you all from ? Why you give USMLE ? I mean gulf is good option for medics.