2007-2008 "what are my chances"/"what should I do"/"where to apply" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to some as to figuring out what are my chances of getting in. I lack shadowing experiences with DO's or MD's. Should I wait one more year to apply?

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8244

Well, that's a question I don't think I can answer for you. One reason is that I am not qualified to do that and another is that it is a personal decision. I generally advise folks to apply when they are at their strongest for the best chances and options. Whatever choice you make, I hope it is one that you are in deep harmony with.

That said, I think you could potentially be okay applying this year, if that's what you wanted to do. It might not be completely ideal, but there is a chance; there always is some. Your GPA is pretty good, but as you already know, your MCAT is lower than average. What stands out to me is your subsection score of 6. It's somewhat worrisome, but I can't say what the impact will be, since I'm not an adcom member. If you want to apply this year, then do so as early as you can; promptness can be an important factor, especially when things are less than ideal. I'd recommend considering retaking the MCAT. How did your actual score compare with your practice tests? See if you can diagnose the problem you are having with your VR subsection. It generally isn't the easiest section to improve, but it can be done, if you approach it the right way. Whatever approach you have, it will probably involve plenty of practice. PS is usually easier to improve. See if you can figure what the problems are in your MCAT, fix them, and consistantly score higher on your practice tests under real conditions and then consider about retaking it. If you are applying this cycle, you can update your score.

You've done a year's worth of shadowing, so that's pretty good. Did you get exposure to patients? Any experience you have at a clinical center where you have contact with patients is generally considered clinical experience. Shadowing isn't one of the stronger clinical experiences, but I think it does count, especially if you've done it consistantly for a whole year. You can strengthen your application, of course, by getting involved in more substantial clinical experiences. If you did choose to apply next cycle, you'd have time to do that.

Can you get a LOR from a physician? Most DO schools require a letter of recommendation from a physician; a DO letter is generally preferred, but most will also accept a letter from an MD. Some schools require a letter from a DO, however.

Anyway, there's no need to rush. If you aren't ready to apply, then waiting until the next cycle will be fine. If you work on your weak areas and improve yourself, it's likely going to help your chances and expand your options. That's all I can think of now. Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll Bite..
And thank you ahead of time for everyone who takes the time to give their .02 to all the worried people on this silly site.

My question is really what schools should I apply to. Last year I was rejected after sitting on the waitlist for a couple of months from OSUCOM and OU(allo). After speaking to them they told me to apply again and work on my MCATs, they did tell me, however that I had excellent interview skills:confused:. Last year my numbers were.
3.09 GPA
7 Phy 8 Bio 9 VR = 24
2500 volunteer hours, Great letters of rec', working full time, Teachers assistant......etc'
Oklahoma resident
applied in January.

This year...
3.159, Graduated.
Retook the MCAT on may 31, still waiting for results.
Just finished my app, trying to decide who to send it to.
By December my GPA will be > 3.2.

If my MCAT is any lower, will some of the schools take the best?
I will apply again this year to OU(allo) and OSUCOM, but am trying to find the schools that I would be most competitive.

Thanks again for any advice.

Hey guys I'm a 31 year old male.

3.41 GPA
2.98 SGPA

MCAT 24

Major: Health science
Minor: Biology & Health Administration.

1997:EMT Certified
1997-1998:Worked/Volunteered for the City of Bridgeport Connecticut Fire Rescue for 6 months.
1998-2000: work full time (40+hrs/week) at Baptist Hospital Pediatrics ER as an EMT. From there I was invited by a Dr. Richard Rienbolt to be a medical missionary in South America (Brazil, Chile, Peru, and Argentina). It was suppose to be for the summer however it turned into two years.
2003: Returned to school where I will be graduating in the Spring 2008.
Clubs: AMSA, AED(medical honor society) and a founding father of Phi Delta Epsilon fraternity at my school, Florida International University. Big Brothers and Big Sisters; however I just recently joined roughly 4 months ago.

I was also a Campus minister for a year. I am also musician; drum set 14 years and guitar for 5 years.

NOW! Due to my work schedule my GPA suffered tremendously. I know its horrific however I heard that there are some DO schools that look at the whole package. Can someone please tell me which are these schools and, what are my chances getting into to them?

Thanks for the advice people. Deeply appreciate it

Mars

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: 3.54
MCAT: 25R (PS 6, V 10, BS 9)

ECs: Premed club prez, House Counsel Prez, Nicaragua Medical Missions Trip, Chem lab assistant (3 yrs), numerous honor societies, Lutheran Missions Society volunteer, summer biophysics research (maybe publish), desk assistant at dorm, worked at Fischer Inc for a summer (research assistant)

Have good letters, including from a DO on the national DO board I shadowed

Turned in application on 6/18

Applied: Des Monies, Chicago, KC, Philly, Atlanta, Kentucky, Va Tech

What are my chances? Thanks

Well I feel I am borderline and need to know where to apply

29M MCAT (10 BS, 10VR, 9PS)
3.2 Overall
3.1 Science
Majors- Biology, Exercise Physiology

EC's
Volunteer 1000+ hours at local high school over past 4 years
Varsity Football Coach for 3 years
Research Fellowship with University of Colorado Cancer Center last summer
Shadowed two doctors approximately 75 hours
Treasurer for Tri Beta
Currently working as an opthmalic technician 40+ hours/week
Also worked 5 years as waiter/bartender (I don't know if I should put this on my app, I think its important)

I know my numbers are low but I feel my EC's and essay will help, , what you think? I'm from Colorado so where would be some good places to apply that I would have a good chance of getting in and should I put the waiter/bartender in?

Good luck to all applicants this year and please read the FAQ

Thank you

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the reputation of the undergrad school you attended. A 3.2 from Princeton is goint to be looked at differently than a 3.2 from Po-dunkU. Interviewers know the name brand schools with challenging curriculums and take that into account.

The MCAT literally ate my soul. I SERIOUSLY would not like to do another retake. Please help me out as to my options.

3.4 overall GPA
3.2 science GPA
20 MCAT
5-VR
7-PS
8-BS
Internships, research, volunteer work, president of AMSA at my college, great LOR's good Personal Statement, etc. Please help guys.

Thanks so much!:)

Medschool will eat your soul if you don't study.

Not to be mean but highly doubt that you would even make it to a UNECOM interview with an MCAT that low. I've never seen one anyway.

Hi guys,
Anyone want to evaluate me? :)

I applied for DO school last year, got one interview but didn't get in. My science gpa is 2.989, overall gpa 3.34. My MCAT was awful (21P) but i'm re-taking it in august. My EC's include a volunteer medical trip to nicaragua, habitat for humanity, i did a pre-med internship in the ER through my school, volunteer at st. marys foodbank, volunteer in an after-school reading program for kids, i also did an internship where i went to bad parts of town to teach kids about microbiology and do experiements. I'm taking the MCAT again (hopefully in August) but i'm going to send in my accomas application Monday because I know it's important to apply early.

Any thoughts?

I'm surprised you got an interview with that GPA and MCAT combo. As other's have already stated- you need to focus on those two areas. Improving GPA is hard as it's averaged so it may be in your best interest to rock the MCAT- something like a 28-30 should allow for some leeway. If you went to podunk U- you might want to aim higher though.

Ok so here is my situation. Got a 3.45 GPA, 30 MCAT (taken in Aug 2005). I am barely below the averages for M.D. schools which made me look at D.O. schools, and now I think D.O. is a better match for me. For 2007 cycle I am still on the waitlist for UCI med school, but I believe there is slim to none hope.

I want to apply for the 2008 cycle. I started my primary application, but I am lacking the shadowing of a D.O. I have a list of um in my area and hopefully will find time to shadow one soon and hopefully get a letter eventually.

Here are my questions:

1.) Should I just get my application in now or should I wait until I have the shadowing under my belt. What is a good deadline to shoot for to still have my application considered early and not late. I applied far to late for M.D. schools and I do not want to make the same mistake.

2.) Anyone know how competitive my stats would match up to the two D.O. schools in California

3.) I am working a full time research job right now at a UC, should I start looking for a better job that would make my resume better for a D.O. applicant

4.) Is it bad that it looks like I am giving up on M.D. schools and settling for D.O. schools, any advice on how I can get around this, because this really is not my intention.

My advice is to apply to without the DO rec. My husband and I both got accepted without DO recs- we had similar stats. Apply early in the cycle- it's key!!!

Give it to me straight:

MCAT 32 - 9VR 13PS 10BS
GPA 3.40, BCPM GPA 3.37 from Northwestern (not sure if that matters)
Non Clinical Volunteering, M.D. Shadowing, Clinical Research, Employment throughout college, various other ECs
Illinois Resident

I think I am limited due to 1.) GPA and 2.) Lack of Clinical Volunteering

I'm applying to my state MD schools and a lot of Osteopathic Schools in the midwest w/ CCOM being my top choice. Do I have a solid chance?

Good stats. Going to Northwestern definitely makes a difference. I've seen so many 3.8's from PodunkU's. Stats aren't everything though- people are routinely rejected from UNECOM with higher MCATS (30+) if they screw up the interview for some reason. A 32 shold secure you an interview at most DO schools.

Hi guys,

Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.79
MCAT: 28M (PS 10, V 7, BS 11)

I want to get into one of the schools in CA. What do you guys think my chances are? I am concerned about my verbal score & the interview because English is not my first language. Do you think I have applied to enough schools to at least get into one?
Any comment would be greatly appreciated.:love:

Hi guys,

Overall GPA: 3.73 from UC San Diego

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8270

I want to get into one of the schools in CA. What do you guys think my chances are? I am concerned about my verbal score & the interview because English is not my first language. Do you think I have applied to enough schools to at least get into one?

Your scores for Western should be okay. I had the same verbal and it was no problem. Also your EC's show you have commitment and that you won't just do it for a couple hours. If you want CA then like I said Western should accept you, assuming you have a good interview. Any of the other schools you should be okay as well.

Hi guys,

Overall GPA: 3.73 from UC San Diego

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8270

Just one thing though....the M....it's a bit low. Emphasize the fact that you are a URM, ESL, and will continue to work on improving your writing skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since people are answering now can you go back a page and look at mine I would really appreciate some input.

Well I feel I am borderline and need to know where to apply

29M MCAT (10 BS, 10VR, 9PS)
3.2 Overall
3.1 Science
Majors- Biology, Exercise Physiology

EC's
Volunteer 1000+ hours at local high school over past 4 years
Varsity Football Coach for 3 years
Research Fellowship with University of Colorado Cancer Center last summer
Shadowed two doctors approximately 75 hours
Treasurer for Tri Beta
Currently working as an opthmalic technician 40+ hours/week
Also worked 5 years as waiter/bartender (I don't know if I should put this on my app, I think its important)

I know my numbers are low but I feel my EC's and essay will help, , what you think? I'm from Colorado so where would be some good places to apply that I would have a good chance of getting in and should I put the waiter/bartender in?

MCAT is good, especially the 10 in verbal. I am confused how you did so good in verbal but got a M in the writing......I am wondering if they are scoring the writing sample lower lately....I've seen way to many lower scores. Your gpa is low, but should get you into a DO school. EC's are good too.

Schools to apply to would vary. Western from CA accepts North West track applicants. Colorado isn't part of it, but since your state doesn't have a school then they should consider you. Same goes for Touro. Arizona and Nevada schools might give you some preference since you are near by. Washington (state) is opening a new school. Most new schools accept a fair amount of students from out of state. Best advice is to apply to schools you like, would like to live etc. Most schools give out of state acceptances, so apply to as many as you feel.

If i apply early without an MCAT score, can a school reject you without your MCAT score or do they wait until they see the score??? ( Might be a DUMB question)

I doubt they would flat-out reject you, but w/out an MCAT score I highly doubt that, in this day & age, you would get an interview.

You will be stuck in the limbo they call pre-interview hold.

Hey guys!! I was wondering what you thought of my chances!!!

I am a 20 year old who will be graduating next May with a chemistry degree. I have a 3.83 GPA and 3.7 science GPA. I have will have 4 years worth of biomedical research experience with a ton of presentations and a publication on the way. I have volunteered at a hospital for a year and now I'm shadowing two days a week for about 6 hours. I have a few other shadowings that I've done in the past. I have great LORs.

The only problem is my MCAT! I studied for seven months, took 13 full length exams and was CONSISTENTLY hitting 26s and 27s and I pulled a 21 on the May 16th MCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is equivalent to the first time I took the dang thing before studying!!!!!
I'm retaking in August but I REALLY want to go to OSU-COM. I'm an Oklahoma resident and have been all my life......I would absolutely love it there.
Any advice??

Ok with OSU-COM, I know a few people with low MCAT's 20-25 that got in with high gpa's. They :love: OK residents. My advice? Retake the MCAT this August/September. That seems to be your only weak spot. I might suggest teh online CBT's by the AAMC where you can diagnose your weaknesses. I know someone who was scoring 30's on the practice tests and scored a 24 on the exam. It happens. But with your stats you have a great chance to sell yourself on the interview and with stellar LOR's. And apply EARLY and update your file with activites in Dec/Jan if you haven't heard anything.

:luck:

GPA:
3.23 Overall
2.96 Science GPA (currently retaking a 3hr class I got a D in right now)

MCAT:
27M
10PS 7V 10BS

Extracurricular/Awards:
1.5 years of infectious disease research at UT Southwestern
Shadowed FP DO for ~30 hours with DO LOR
Volunteer tutor for local school district
President's List Fall 2004

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7690

:scared:

Well, that's a question I don't think I can answer for you.

Say it ain't so! I didn't think that was possible! :)

I must've been absent from the boards for too long, Spiced, since I am only now noticing your Advisor status. I didn't see a Welcome thread, or anything! Well, gosh darnit, congratulations! I'm sure a lot of people think of you as a proper fit for this role.

GPA:
3.23 Overall
2.96 Science GPA (currently retaking a 3hr class I got a D in right now)

MCAT:
27M
10PS 7V 10BS

Extracurricular/Awards:
1.5 years of infectious disease research at UT Southwestern
Shadowed FP DO for ~30 hours with DO LOR
Volunteer tutor for local school district
President's List Fall 2004

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7690

:scared:

I probably wouldn't have applied this cycle if I were in your position. Well, since you've already applied, I don't know what I can say that will help, except "good luck and let's see what happens."

One thing that stands out to me is your sub-3.0 science GPA. That may cause problems for you. In the best case scenario, you may be asked about it during an interview, but in the worst case, you may be screened out. I'm not an adcom member, though, so what I say doesn't mean anything. It may end up being no big deal at all. I don't know, but that low science GPA does give me pause.

Your MCAT is fairly good, but that VR score does stick out. I don't think this part will be a big deal, however. Just be prepared to address it, if you are asked about it.

You don't seem to have any significant clinical experience. While it's not a formal requirement, I think it is essential to a good application to medical school.

I think applying when one is at their strongest is the best way to strengthen chances and increase options. I can't say what the best move for you will be; that's a very personal decision. Considering your profile, however, it occurs to me that you could benefit from taking a year off and fixing your academic problems and by engaging in some clinical work. A good way to address your academic issues is to take a few semesters of fulltime advanced undergraduate science classes and trend A's during that time. This would improve your science GPA and also demonstrate academic ability. That's one suggestion. Others will pursue other post-baccalaureate work.

However, if you are intent with following through with your current application process, I wish you much luck! Give it your best. Write good secondary application essays, gather great LORs, knock them dead during your interviews, should you get selected, and hope for the best. :luck:

Say it ain't so! I didn't think that was possible! :)

Yes, there are some things that even I cannot comment on. j/k :laugh:

I must've been absent from the boards for too long, Spiced, since I am only now noticing your Advisor status. I didn't see a Welcome thread, or anything! Well, gosh darnit, congratulations! I'm sure a lot of people think of you as a proper fit for this role.

Thanks, SB! That's probably why there wasn't a welcome thread. ;)

I'm very happy to continue being of assistance in my new role. :thumbup:

Interested in these schools: PCOM, NYCOM, Touro-NY, UMDNJ, CCOM, Touro-CA, Western, Michigan State.

~3.4 GPA (undergrad, UC Berkeley)
~3.3 Science GPA

28 mcat (10V, 9 bio, 9 phys).

ECs: research (UCSF and Berkeley), IM sports, work in doctors office, tutoring, physio TA.

If I apply like this weekend (would that still be considered early?), what do you guys think my chances are at these schools?

Also, do any of these schools have a very strong instate preference (I heard NYCOM does??)?? I m a Cali resident.

ECs: Premed club prez, House Counsel Prez, Nicaragua Medical Missions Trip, Chem lab assistant (3 yrs), numerous honor societies, Lutheran Missions Society volunteer, summer biophysics research (maybe publish), desk assistant at dorm, worked at Fischer Inc for a summer (research assistant)

I think you have a good chance to be accepted at one of those schools. You applied early and broadly enough. I hope you are accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Touro-CA: 3.0gpa and 23 MCAT is average.
Western: 3.4-3.5gpa and 27 MCAT is average.
Looks like you are competitive for both.

This is incorrect, those are the cutoffs for receiving a secondary.

So I just finished my MD app and now on my DO app. I am almost done but need to find schools that will be appropriate for me.

3.76 Overall GPA
3.6 Science GPA
23N (8PS, 7VR, 8BS) and 26Q (10PS, 9VR, 7BS)

I think I'd prefer a fairly new school (technology, buildings, etc) but also relatively established.

I prefer a suburban setting. but a city would be ok as well.

I live in Ohio, but going out of the midwest isnt a problem. Would like the tuition under 30-35k though. MSU is not an option. haha

Good residency match..meaning accredited and trusted school.

Right now OU is definitely on my list and i've heard DMU-COM (rural or not? let me know) is great. What others would you all recommend. Im looking to apply to 6-8. Thanks.

So I just finished my MD app and now on my DO app. I am almost done but need to find schools that will be appropriate for me.

3.76 Overall GPA
3.6 Science GPA

I think I'd prefer a fairly new school (technology, buildings, etc) but also relatively established.

I live in Ohio, but going out of the midwest isnt a problem. Would like the tuition under 30-35k though. MSU is not an option. haha

Right now OU is definitely on my list and i've heard DMU-COM (rural or not? let me know) is great. What others would you all recommend. Im looking to apply to 6-8. Thanks.

http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

Good Luck :D

my stats.... 3.1 overall and 3.3 sci
Mcat ~ 25 (taking it on july 24th, hopefully it can be higher)

I'm a CALI resident

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University AZ 01/01/2008

AT Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona AZ 02/01/2008
Western University of Health Sciences / College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific CA 02/01/2008

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Mare Island CA 04/01/2008
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine FL 01/15/2008
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Bradenton FL 04/01/2008
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine GA 02/01/2008

Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center IA 02/01/2008

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University IL 01/01/2008

Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine KY 02/01/2008

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine ME 02/01/2008
A. T. Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine MO 02/01/2008
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences MO 02/14/2008

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine NJ 02/01/2008

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Nevada NV 04/01/2008
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology NY 02/01/2008

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York NY 04/01/2008

Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine OK 02/01/2008
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 02/01/2008
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 04/01/2008
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine TN 02/15/2008

Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine VA 02/01/2008
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

my stats.... 3.1 overall and 3.3 sci
Mcat ~ 25 (taking it on july 24th, hopefully it can be higher)

I'm a CALI resident

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University AZ 01/01/2008

AT Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona AZ 02/01/2008
Western University of Health Sciences / College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific CA 02/01/2008

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Mare Island CA 04/01/2008
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine FL 01/15/2008
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Bradenton FL 04/01/2008
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine GA 02/01/2008

Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center IA 02/01/2008

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University IL 01/01/2008

Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine KY 02/01/2008

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine ME 02/01/2008
A. T. Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine MO 02/01/2008
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences MO 02/14/2008

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine NJ 02/01/2008

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Nevada NV 04/01/2008
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology NY 02/01/2008

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York NY 04/01/2008

Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine OK 02/01/2008
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 02/01/2008
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus PA 04/01/2008
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine TN 02/15/2008

Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine VA 02/01/2008
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Well, you've pretty much got EVERY DO school out there on your list... have you researched any of them? Do you know what you're looking for in a school?

You might consider cutting the schools that have bias against OOS applicants.

Use this guide to trim a few.

3.76 Overall GPA
3.6 Science GPA

If you're looking for good residency and are open to multiple fields, don't go to a "newer" school. Now, this is just my opinion about VCOM's first class that graduated. While I've met some incredibly intelligent students, I also was told that because it was the first class and its a new school, getting a residency was a bit of a challenge moreover in the MD side than DO. So if you aren't sure about residency go with an established school until things are ironed out at some of the newer programs.

If you're in OH, I'd probably apply MSU, OU, LECOM (If you wanted - some people don't feel that's a fit), DMU, KCUMB, KCOM, Pikesville if you wanted to go back to OH. I can't remember if its KCOM or Pikesville that lets you come back to do rotations and is part of the Ohio Core.

Your MCAT is below the avg for most schools but your GPA is higher which can offset that, especially an increasing trend.

Do your research on what schools have what andbest of luck!

I guess Ill fold...

Indiana resident (no D.O. schools here)

School: Purdue University- Main Campus
Major: Environmental Health
Minors: Political Science and Forensic Science

GPA: 3.5 (Last two years = 4.0)
Science: 3.39 (AACOMAS)
MCAT: 10P 9B 8V O

Applying "early": I just got verified yesterday and waiting for aacomas to send out my primaries.

Shadowing:

-Plenty of shadowing with my father (D.O.)
-Shadowed D.O. internist 10 hours
-Shadowed D.O. radiologist 10 hours

Volunteer Experiences:

-Purdue Rescue Squad (first aid at football games) 2 years.
-International Student Volunteers
(Australia... Not Medical related)

i actually i'm apply to every DO school, even those with strong biases. i'm spending atleast 500 applying, another 300 wont kill me to apply to ALL of em. the way i look at it, why limit my chances? even if they ARE <10%?

I guess Ill fold...

Indiana resident (no D.O. schools here)

School: Purdue University- Main Campus
Major: Environmental Health
Minors: Political Science and Forensic Science

GPA: 3.5 (Last two years = 4.0)
Science: 3.39 (AACOMAS)
MCAT: 10P 9B 8V O

Applying "early": I just got verified yesterday and waiting for aacomas to send out my primaries.

Shadowing:

-Plenty of shadowing with my father (D.O.)
-Shadowed D.O. internist 10 hours
-Shadowed D.O. radiologist 10 hours

Volunteer Experiences:

-Purdue Rescue Squad (first aid at football games) 2 years.
-International Student Volunteers
(Australia... Not Medical related)

Hey, jpc,

You look like a fine applicant to me. Make sure to you get complete rapidly at the schools. Knock 'em dead at the interviews. Good luck! :thumbup:

Im 28 years old living in California hoping to get into a DO school next fall. I graduated 4 years ago with a biology degree. I was pre-med in my junior year (2002) when I took the MCAT and got a 16. I became interested in the biotech industry and when I graduated became an service engineer for a local biotech company. Now I travel all over the country fixing some really expensive machines.

Then after about a couple of years as an engineer. I decided it wasn't for me and I really should chase my passion and not have a test like the MCAT stop me. I took the test again in 2006 where I got a 18K. Then again jan '07 where I got a 22M. Then finally taking the test in May '07 where I got a 27L (7V 12P 8B).

My BCMP is 3.1 and my Cum GPA is 3.1.

I volunteered at various hospitals and schools for some time during school. Its been difficult to take classes or volunteer for the past few years because I've been out of town and I have to pay a mortage, but I managed to start shadowing a DO recently, to get that LOR.

I've interviewed fairly well during my commitee interviews and I'm thinking of doing a DO/MBA program.

What do you think guys, have I got a shot?

Thanks for the input and I hope everyone who deserves to get in, gets in.

As a freshman I knew i wanted to be a physician but my MCAT scores crushed my hopes. I have leadership, lors, shadowing, etc. My GPA is a 3.46 and BCPM is 3.3ish. My university is known for weeding out so the GPA is not too bad hopefully. My MCAT score was horribile -- BS11 PS8 VR6 WSP...i dont know if i can get into any schools with these stats. I am retaking it in early august hopefully i can nail it then, but i dont see much improvemnt in VR. However I never got anything lower than a 7 or higher than an 11 on the practice ones. i am really freaked out now b/c the stats are that retakers usually get lower scores :=[ any advice? do i have a chance?

Interested in these schools: PCOM, NYCOM, Touro-NY, UMDNJ, CCOM, Touro-CA, Western, Michigan State.
~3.4 GPA (undergrad, UC Berkeley)
~3.3 Science GPA
28 mcat (10V, 9 bio, 9 phys).

Being a Berkeley grad myself, I commend you on the GPA. I am interested in knowing why you haven't added Touro-NV to your list (that's where I'm going in the fall.)

The 28 MCAT, with that even distribution, is going to be pretty strong. You should definitely get at least interviews with Touro-CA and Western. (I didn't apply to the other above schools, so I wouldn't know.) If you apply at this point, you'd still be considered early, as long as you chug out your secondaries in a timely fashion. I didn't finish my secondaries until January and I interviewed at Western (high-waitlisted.) I think your odds are very strong, especially if your Science classes are diverse and go beyond just the prerequisites.

Hey all!!!!!!!!!! I have been reading all your wonderful posts and i finally decided to join =)

I would really really appreciate if someone who has some experience with applying and such, to give me some advice.

I live in NY and I want to apply for 2008 to NYCOM, PCOM, UMNDJ, TOURNY

I am taking the MCAT Aug 20 and hope to score atleast a 27 or so

My stats are:
3.2 overall, 3.1 science GPA

I am 22 years old and I have a LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) degree. I have 2 DO LORS, 3 MD LORS, I have shadowed both MD and DO. I am very familiar with the medical field so I really have not done as much volunteering so much as workng as a nurse. BUT I do indeed have volunteering experience.

What are my chances?!?!!? Thank you!!!!!!!!:)

Hey Everyone,

I am not really sure if I am a strong candidate for DO schools, there are just so many variables. I applied to MD schools in 2005 with some reservations. I was not really sure I wanted to be an MD at that point, but I applied anyway because that had been the plan since I was like 11. I got interviews (I declined one) and in the end was waitlisted twice with no acceptances. I was not really upset about this at the time, I just don't think I was ready. I needed some time to really think about what I wanted from my life and my career. I was not sure if I had the motivation at that point for another 4 years of school. Instead, I decided to get my MPH because it was something that I eventually always wanted anyway and I thought it might buy me some thinking time (while keeping my health insurance and deferring my student loans :rolleyes:). After my first year of my MPH program (which is really eye opening and relevent to anyone in the healthcare field), I have decided that I really do want to pursue a clinical career. I do not want to apply to MD schools again, just DO schools. The DO philosophy really appeals to me and I feel that as a soon to be public health professional the two are very closely related regarding their emphasis on prevention and natural healing. I have my BS in Biochemistry with a cum. GPA of 3.72 and a BCPM of 3.74. My first year of graduate school has yielded a BCPM of 3.85 and a cum GPA of 3.6. My MCAT from April 2005 is a 29N (8 PS 10 BS 11 VR). I have no idea what happened with the writing sample to this day. I was thinking of applying to PCOM, TOURONY, NYCOM, and UMDNJ. I have standard ECs, VP of honor society, 4 years as PCA in SICU of Level I trauma center, but only 1 semester of research (hated it). I am currently doing an internship (12 weeks) at a NY county level health department analyzing data and assisting in the environmental health division. I have two LORs from MDs (one from the commissioner of the health department and the other my graduate advisor). I did contact a DO in my area to see about shadowing and a letter (he is an alumni of PCOM). He is more than happy to assist but he is on vacation until the 1st week in July. Should I apply without the letter or hold off until I can get his recommendation. Any advice or insight you guys could offer would be great. This process is brutal. Thanks!!

My GPA is 3.6 (none sciece) 3.65 (science)
my mcat 10,10,6(verbal)

Application is already submitted!

I have research and 2 publications
I have been a TA
I have been a tutor for Test Prep Organizations
I have had clinical experience volunteering and showing
I have a lot of leadership roles in the community during my tenure at school
I am also a biology major

Considering all this.. what do you think???

btw I live in CA

my mcat 10,10,6(verbal)

I have been a TA

btw I live in CA

Sure....I had similar stats and was accepted to 2 schools this past application cycle. As most would say, apply broadly to increase your chances. Just be able to explain anything on your apps, including why you got a 6 on the verbal (darn verbal i hate that section). Good luck. btw this post should have been in the "what are my chances thread"

my mcat 10,10,6(verbal)

I have been a TA

btw I live in CA

Your verbal score is weak but everything else looks good. If you apply broadly, I think you will have a pretty good chance at getting in somewhere. If you improved you verbal scoe to an 8 or 9, you would be competitive for all the DO prgrams and for a few MD programs as well. I'd recommend retaking the MCAT just to be safe. That being said, you should have asked this in the "what are my chances" thread. That's what it's there for and people get irritated when users make new threads to ask such questions because it is looked at as an unnecessary use of forum space.

Best of Luck

I'll Bite..
And thank you ahead of time for everyone who takes the time to give their .02 to all the worried people on this silly site.

My question is really what schools should I apply to. Last year I was rejected after sitting on the waitlist for a couple of months from OSUCOM and OU(allo). After speaking to them they told me to apply again and work on my MCATs, they did tell me, however that I had excellent interview skills:confused:. Last year my numbers were.
3.09 GPA
7 Phy 8 Bio 9 VR = 24
2500 volunteer hours, Great letters of rec', working full time, Teachers assistant......etc'
Oklahoma resident
applied in January.

This year...
3.159, Graduated.
Retook the MCAT on may 31, still waiting for results.
Just finished my app, trying to decide who to send it to.
By December my GPA will be > 3.2.

If my MCAT is any lower, will some of the schools take the best?
I will apply again this year to OU(allo) and OSUCOM, but am trying to find the schools that I would be most competitive.

Thanks again for any advice.

Have yet to get any advice and its time to submit everything...:scared:
Think I will apply to ..
LECOM Bradenton
PCOM-GA
ATSU Mesa
AZCOM
OSUCOM
VCOM
and OU (allo).

Any thoughts about other schools?

I think your MCAT should get you some interviews, but what might be holding you back is your GPA thats barley above the requirements for some schools. Hopefully your new MCAT will make you stand out for a stronger applicant. I have the same MCAT score (different spread) but my GPA is quite a bit higher. Just apply broadly and you should be ok. :luck:

3.02 cum GPA
3.03 sci GPA
No Mcat, Taking it On AUG 20
Two solid DO LOR from Dr's that teach and graduated from NSU.(My #1 choice)
EMT-B certi.
2 yrs working in the ER
1.5 yr working in Cat Scan as a Nurse TECH
No volunteering(had to work during school)
Pre-med club and Microbiology Club

I get my BS in dec. , so i still have a lil. bit of time to bring up my GPA. Do they upgrade your GPA after the term is over?? THANKS...goodluck to everyone.:D

What school should i apply to this cycle?

Okay, okay. I know it's been hashed over before, but my situation's a bit different. I have a DWI/DI conviction (misdemeanor) from April '01 and am applying for the 2008 cycle (5 DO schools, 3 MD schools). I am in the process of expungement; but, since it's such a long process, I've submitted my application before getting word of whether it will or will not be removed from my record.

My question is: IF it is expunged, will it be possible for schools to access my record or will a background check reveal nothing? Also, further down the road, will it show up when applying to residencies (I've heard it can be found even through expungement when working with children or with the mentally ill - as will be likely be the case during residency)?

FYI my stats are:
MCAT [25S]: V-10, PS-7, BS-8, Wr-S
GPA: Cum.-3.3, Sci-3.4
Significant research background, several publications, Masters degree, tons of clinical experience, lots of teaching experience, and I'm a practicing dietitian (I'm hoping for "nontraditional points", here!)

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Okay, okay. I know it's been hashed over before, but my situation's a bit different. I have a DWI/DI conviction (misdemeanor) from April '01 and am applying for the 2008 cycle (5 DO schools, 3 MD schools). I am in the process of expungement; but, since it's such a long process, I've submitted my application before getting word of whether it will or will not be removed from my record.

My question is: IF it is expunged, will it be possible for schools to access my record or will a background check reveal nothing? Also, further down the road, will it show up when applying to residencies (I've heard it can be found even through expungement when working with children or with the mentally ill - as will be likely be the case during residency)?

Don't you have to reveal any conviction in the AACOMAS? It doesn't matter if it is expunged, or not. It's still a prior conviction and thus, according to the instructions, must be reported on your AACOMAS. You didn't say, so perhaps you did disclose it on your application. I just assumed you didn't because you were asking if it would come up on a school background check. As to whether schools and residency programs could find out about your prior misdemeanor conviction, I can't speak to that. I'm not a lawyer, but I do suggest you consult with one. If you are concerned, run a background check on yourself and see what comes up. There are plenty of online background check companies that will run comprehensive, personal background checks, similar to the ones that schools and residency programs run, for a nominal fee. Anyway, one part that concerns me is that if you didn't disclose the misdemeanor conviction on your AACOMAS, but it shows up on your background check, which most schools run prior to matriculation, there could be some unanticipated consequences to that.

FYI my stats are:
MCAT [25S]: V-10, PS-7, BS-8, Wr-S
GPA: Cum.-3.3, Sci-3.4
Significant research background, several publications, Masters degree, tons of clinical experience, lots of teaching experience, and I'm a practicing dietitian (I'm hoping for "nontraditional points", here!)

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Your stats look fine. Your PS score is a bit low, but I don't think it'll be a big deal. Just be able to address it, if you happened to get asked about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.