2007-2008 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I got UNECOM 1-2 weeks after AACOMAS sent it. It was on the longer side. Basically I think the questions were Why UNECOM, what did you learn from your clinical experiences and if you know anyone from UNECOM, how did that impact your decision to apply. I think there may have been one more, Im sorry, I forgot what it was. Also, they ask you to list all the other schools you applied to. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Damn I had to ditch the KCUMB secondary because I just noticed that biochem is a pre-req for them and I haven't had it yet. :( I don't know how I let that slip!

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the deal with this one, we have to handwrite it?

(Sorry if this has already been asked, I read 15 pgs of this thread and didnt see anything about it)

Thanks and good luck guys :)

Quick question here folks -

has anyone gotten an interview with KCUMB and not had biochem? It's the only science class I haven't taken and I'm just deciding whether to take the chance of sending in my 2ndary or just forgetting about it b/c I don't have biochem.

Quick question here folks -

has anyone gotten an interview with KCUMB and not had biochem? It's the only science class I haven't taken and I'm just deciding whether to take the chance of sending in my 2ndary or just forgetting about it b/c I don't have biochem.

Well I haven't even submitted the secondary yet but I'm sure it's one of those classes you would just have to have finished by matriculation. I haven't taken Biochem either but I plan on submitting the secondary. I plan on taking Biochem in the spring but if both schools that require it reject me early then I can decide if I still want to take it or not.

For the question that asks about teaching experience, do they mean experience working as an actual teacher? or does tutoring count?

also...any takers on the Touro-CA question i posted above?

thanks!

Does anyone else think the secondary apps processing fee is high for Touro-NY?

Hey guys, I am in need of some assistance. My primary just completed on 9/23. I took the MCAT on 8/6 and didnt perform well (777R, bottom of my practices :( ) Luckily, I had time to sign up for the 9/16 exam, which I know i did much better on. Now I am worried that since the schools dont know about my new mcat coming in that I will get filtered out pre secondary before they see my new and improved score. Can i do anything? Call them? Thanks

Hey guys, I am in need of some assistance. My primary just completed on 9/23. I took the MCAT on 8/6 and didnt perform well (777R, bottom of my practices :( ) Luckily, I had time to sign up for the 9/16 exam, which I know i did much better on. Now I am worried that since the schools dont know about my new mcat coming in that I will get filtered out pre secondary before they see my new and improved score. Can i do anything? Call them? Thanks

I would say definitely call or e-mail each school and let them know.

How are you supposed to answer these questions with only 3 lines to respond??? Does anyone else have this problem? Are we allowed to write on separate pages?

15. EXPLAIN WHY YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO APPLY TO TOURO UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE:

16. WHY SHOULD THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE ACCEPT YOU INTO THIS YEAR'S CLASS?

This might have been answered already, but I had no luck searching...

for secondaries that are in either PDF format or on physical paper... how do you fill them out?

I can't type onto any of my PDF secondaries (is that a problem with my viewer?). Pikeville's was sent via snail mail, yet their website lists "not typing the application" as a blunder. Should I literally re-type the entire application?

I can't imagine submitting a hand-written med school app! Not to mention trying to hunt down a typewriter in order to take care of these apps! How did you guys go about this?

Your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks!:)

This might have been answered already, but I had no luck searching...

for secondaries that are in either PDF format or on physical paper... how do you fill them out?

I can't type onto any of my PDF secondaries (is that a problem with my viewer?). Pikeville's was sent via snail mail, yet their website lists "not typing the application" as a blunder. Should I literally re-type the entire application?

I can't imagine submitting a hand-written med school app! Not to mention trying to hunt down a typewriter in order to take care of these apps! How did you guys go about this?

Your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks!:)

I hand-wrote a few of my secondaries last year and it wasn't a problem. Just make sure if you do that it is very legible and don't have any smiley faces or hearts over your eyes :smuggrin: If you want to type it, you can do a few different things, such as retyping it in Word, see if you can type in the PDF doc (I remember doing that on one of them), but if you are unsure, I would recommend calling up the school (or email) and see what they say.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have a newer version of acrobat, you can usually type into most PDFs, tho this has to be done one line at a time. meaning, you can't cut and paste an entire paragraph into a section on a PDF that has lines (as opposed to a giant empty box like one I had).

otherwise, the post above me will suffice.

Type, type, type!!!!! Several of the school's websites have this listed as a top 10 "What not to do" in the application process. I'm not saying a handwritten one won't get you in, but typing looks so much better!

The PCOMs I may end up writing. Of course I will type the healthcare experiences and essays and attach those. I cannot type in the PDFs just of those two applications. The app for PCOM-GA was actually sent in the mail because apparently people were having a hard time pulling it up. I'll just be writing in the main things like my name and AACOMAS ID.

I think typing looks more professional.

To edit a PDF document, you can use Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader). If you don't have this program, you may be able to download a trial version through cnet.com, or in my case, I went to my school's computer lab-- most of them have this program already. The program is pretty intuitive and easy to use. It takes a little time but I definately think it's worth it. For paragraphs, you can copy and paste from a word document into a larger text box, just make the box solid so it doesn't overlap their preexisting lines... I think you get the point.

Good luck :luck:!!

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to answer this. What kind of things do you talk without coming off as conceited?

Secondary essay fun!

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to answer this. What kind of things do you talk without coming off as conceited?

Secondary essay fun!

You might discuss:

Your interpersonal skills -- give examples

Any unique aspects of your background.

------------------------

Yeah, after writing my secondaries I felt pretty conceited and arrogant....not who I am. I hate selling myself, but I guess it must be done. Good luck.

I typically answer this question with "I'm sexy"

:laugh:

...to the OP, I feel the whole interview process is a time for you to really sell yourself. Talking about your strengths is not arrogant, but what is expected. Just be confident in what you have to bring to the table and give some good examples... iow, don't just say, yeah, I'm completely fab, w/out having some completely fab stuff to back it up. Good luck! :luck:

I typically answer this question with "I'm sexy"

Stop stealing my lines!

Let's get back to the OP's question folks.

It's a personal thing. You need to look inside and see what qualities you possess other than the ability to study until 4am while drinking four pots of coffee.

How are you supposed to answer these questions with only 3 lines to respond??? Does anyone else have this problem? Are we allowed to write on separate pages?

15. EXPLAIN WHY YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO APPLY TO TOURO UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE:

16. WHY SHOULD THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE ACCEPT YOU INTO THIS YEAR'S CLASS?

For #15, I'm pretty much going to talk about my favorite thing about Tuoro in terms of studying osteopathic medicine.
For #16, I tried to create a sentence that summarizes my best qualities.

I don't think we're allowed to write on separate pages.

For #15, I'm pretty much going to talk about my favorite thing about Tuoro in terms of studying osteopathic medicine.
For #16, I tried to create a sentence that summarizes my best qualities.

I don't think we're allowed to write on separate pages.

Seriously? How would they expect you to answer those questions in such a short space. I'll have to look at it again but I'm going to assume I can attach separate sheets for now.

The secondary I (finally!) received from umdnj asks us to "Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you"...

Basically, my personal statement is an explanation of how I came to decide that medicine (in general) was right for me. What should I do? Tell the same basic story (obviously not a cut & paste but still same story) w/an addition of "why DO"? or just kind of skip the parts already covered in my PS and start from when I began considering osteopathic med?

The secondary I (finally!) received from umdnj asks us to "Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you"...

Basically, my personal statement is an explanation of how I came to decide that medicine (in general) was right for me. What should I do? Tell the same basic story (obviously not a cut & paste but still same story) w/an addition of "why DO"? or just kind of skip the parts already covered in my PS and start from when I began considering osteopathic med?

If I were in the situation I think I would introduce deciding to go for med in general but have a detailed explanation to why osteopathic med specfiically

Put that when you saw Mr. Miyagi do his osteopathic manipulative treatment on Daniel-san at the end of the karate kid, so that Daniel could come back and fight the last match, you were sold on osteopathic medicine.

TehjasTriathlete said:
Put that when you saw Mr. Miyagi do his osteopathic manipulative treatment on Daniel-san at the end of the karate kid, so that Daniel could come back and fight the last match, you were sold on osteopathic medicine.
+1 :thumbup:

Haha, the first Karate Kid movie was on the other day when I was cleaning a patients room at work after he went to the floor. I stayed there and watched it a little during his first fight at the end at the big tournament. Classic.

I had the same problem. My PS ("why medicine" in general) already covered part of what they were asking for. For the essays, I went into more detail (ex: specific experiences shadowing DOs, observing OMM, etc) and elaborated on what I mentioned previously, with more emphasis on "why osteopathic".

Keep in mind that the essay has two parts:
1) Explain the process by which you decided osteopathic medicine is right for you
2) How does osteopathic medicine fit your professional goals and values

Did you cover both parts? You said your PS covers the first part, what about the second? Granted, there may some overlap between the two, but it is something to write about. So, what are your goals and values? How does medicine fit that?

Edit: Bonus points if you mention Mr. Miyagi at all during your essay. It will help your application stand out. You practice for OMM by painting your house or something like that...

Good luck!

Incidentally, the admissions committee meets this Friday. Hoping I hear from them then.

I really hate this question, I feel like such an arrogant //// after completely this one.

Just wait till after interviews!

I don't know

I'm not good at "talkin' myself up" though.

See what I mean:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-K3c8DY4AM[/YOUTUBE]

Secondary essay fun!

Ugh! This question is so tough. You want to sell yourself well but not sound cocky (I am so awesome this school wouldn't know how to handle it) but you also want to give them something that stands out and isn't too boring (I will bring a love of medicine zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

My advice would be not to stress too much about stuff like that and just go with something you are comfortable defending or something you can back up with past experience or opinions. For example, I went with that I would bring a positive attitude towards teamwork as opposed to competition because I really hate the idea of students competing with each other. It's not cocky but gets a point across about who I am and what kind of student I will be. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Or if all else fails go with 'I am so awesome this school wouldn't know how to handle it'

Okay, here's the situation. I applied to a bunch of schools back in July, and I filled out the secondaries as I received them. After I got three interviews and paid for expenses to go to those, I ran really, really short of money where I couldn't afford to send back CCOM and PCOM, two schools where I am really interested in applying. (I decided I wouldn't send back secondaries at all to about 10 schools, but always intended to send to CCOM and PCOM.)

Now that I finally have the money, I'm worried if it will look really bad that I sent back the secondaries almost 3 months late. I got CCOM on 7/30 and PCOM on 8/4. Do you think it's too late to send these back? Would I be wasting my time and what little money I have?

Thanks for your advice. :)

Whew!! That makes me feel better! Thanks!

Also, my disclosure is that I'm only applying to 2 schools and they both know I'm in a post-bacc program where they probably won't make a decision on me until March anyway. So I've been a little lazy in that dept but I would suggest sending them in ASAP b/c most schools have started interviewing and you want to get in!!! :luck:

Thanks, I'm heading to the post office after work today! :)

Good luck with yours, too! :luck::luck:

Yeah... The "qualities" question is a bit tough. If you are having a hard time, get a few points of view and/or feedback from close associates. Invite your good friends, or associates, to describe a distinctive quality or two that you possess. If you were needing a character witness, how would those who know you best describe you? If you are working ask a colleague or supervisor, who is your ally, to describe how you contribute positively to the work environment. How did you impact those around you positively? What do you often receive appreciation for? You get the idea...

If you want to get really fancy, you could see how your qualities play to, are in line with, or augment the core values/missions of a particular school. Keep in mind that schools are looking, in part, for a good fit. ;)

Investigate what the school values and the characteristics that they would like to see in a candidate, then think about experiences you have had that reinforce their values or opinions with that of yours. Talk about things that have happened in your life that have caused you to think or act in a way that corresponds with the thought process of the school. Don't generalize your statements, make them specific to your life experiences. If you want to persue medicine there must be events that have guided you towards it, just think about those and then why?

As a nontrad with kids, this question was pretty darn easy for me to answer. As was the "what, other than your academics, extracurricular activities, volunteerism, or work, has been the best preparation for medical school and why". I do know many others struggled with both of those questions. It's a very personal thing.

I totally forgot to do my VCOM secondary and my UNECOM secondary. Is it worth it for me to do them this late?

GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.33
MCAT: 28M
Research for 1 year + lots of shadowing.