2006 LECOM Postbaccalaureate Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, Where do we get specifics for the dress code? And how do you know what books to get? Did they send a list in the mail?

Members don't see this ad.

munchkinDO said:
Hey guys, Where do we get specifics for the dress code? And how do you know what books to get? Did they send a list in the mail?

DRESS CODE POLICY

Students must maintain a neat and clean appearance befitting students attending professional school. Therefore, attire should convey a professional appearance whenever the student is on College grounds or on a clinical rotation or program.

Student I.D. badges must be prominently displayed and worn at all times. (Caps, hats, shorts, jeans, T-shirts, sandals and sneakers are not permitted).

Men must wear dress trousers, dress shoes, dress shirt and necktie. Men’s hair, beards and moustaches must be neat and trimmed at all times.

Women are required to wear appropriate dresses of reasonable length or slacks with appropriate blouses. (Halter tops and miniskirts are not permitted). Women’s hair must be neat and trimmed at all times.

Students inappropriately dressed or groomed may be requested to leave the campus and not return until appropriately attired. Any class missed during that time will be considered an unexcused absence. Questionable or disputed cases of dress or grooming shall be presented to the Office of the Director of Biomedical Sciences Post Baccalaureate Program, whose decision will be final. Repeated violations will be considered improper professional behavior and may result in disciplinary action.

:confused: Hi guys,
I'm have a few questions. I'm concern since i still have not received anything from LECOM. Especially in regards to FinAid. I'm going to be there the 1st so i hope that i get all my materials before i leave. Any suggestions? should i just go ahead and call them?

Members don't see this ad :)
thelittlemole said:
:confused: Hi guys,
I'm have a few questions. I'm concern since i still have not received anything from LECOM. Especially in regards to FinAid. I'm going to be there the 1st so i hope that i get all my materials before i leave. Any suggestions? should i just go ahead and call them?

Yeah you should definitely email Brian he could help speed things up. What information do you have so far? I move the 1st as well. Where are you living?

thanks for the advice i just email brian, hopefully i get a reply soon. I'll be living in Mill Glen. :rolleyes:

kikigirl said:
Hey guys! Hope all is well with everyone! Friday was my last day at work and I leave Monday to drive to Erie from Florida. I plan on arriving on Wednesday. The moving company isn't delivering my stuff until Thursday so it will be me, a blanket, and my laptop on Wednesday. :D I should have a phone connection in my place on Wednesday so I'll try to get online and touch base with everyone when I arrive. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Awesome. Have a nice drive ! Ill be there the 1st hope to meet everyone then.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say congrats to everyone that will be heading to erie for fall 06.

I am a perspective applicant to the biomed program, and I was wondering what the deal is with MCAT scores. I realize that the website states that applicants with below a score of 20 will not be considered. However, I am planning to take the MCAT in April for the first time, is it possible to apply before april and get an acceptance pending my mcat scores (for fall 07)? How strict are they about the MCAT requirement? Anyone with below a 20 Mcat get in or no mcat at all? I realize these questions are personal so please IM if you prefer.

I'm sorry for going off topic, but any help you all can give me from your experiences would be great.

Thank you.

predoguy said:
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say congrats to everyone that will be heading to erie for fall 06.

I am a perspective applicant to the biomed program, and I was wondering what the deal is with MCAT scores. I realize that the website states that applicants with below a score of 20 will not be considered. However, I am planning to take the MCAT in April for the first time, is it possible to apply before april and get an acceptance pending my mcat scores (for fall 07)? How strict are they about the MCAT requirement? Anyone with below a 20 Mcat get in or no mcat at all? I realize these questions are personal so please IM if you prefer.

I'm sorry for going off topic, but any help you all can give me from your experiences would be great.

Thank you.

I think that they are pretty strict about the MCAT score being above a 20. You can apply before you take the MCAT, but they might just wait for your score before they make a decision. Besides, the deadline is in August, so you can apply after you get your score. :luck:

Just a quick question for everyone... Does anyone know of a store(s) where we can go to buy furniture (computer desk, dresser...) and a bed. :confused:

jdefranc938 said:
Just a quick question for everyone... Does anyone know of a store(s) where we can go to buy furniture (computer desk, dresser...) and a bed. :confused:

These are the one's I'm fimiliar with:

Pier
5666 Peach St.

Value City Furniture
1022 W Erie plz

Home Depot
7451 Peach Tree

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish you best of luck on your drive, i'll be driving as well, with train stops included, thanks to the info some of you offer me. I'll be arriving there on the 1st, best of luck to everyone on their trip, be safe, can't wait to meet everybody!! ;)

thelittlemole said:
Wish you best of luck on your drive, i'll be driving as well, with train stops included, thanks to the info some of you offer me. I'll be arriving there on the 1st, best of luck to everyone on their trip, be safe, can't wait to meet everybody!! ;)

Hey I will be arriving the 1st as well. Are you taking the amtrak train?!?!?? I will be taking the train the 31st and then driving from VA to PA to become a DO (hopefully) Sorry for all of you that had to read that and suffer thru my bad joke. Let me know if your on the same train.

LkyCarms said:
Hey I will be arriving the 1st as well. Are you taking the amtrak train?!?!?? I will be taking the train the 31st and then driving from VA to PA to become a DO (hopefully) Sorry for all of you that had to read that and suffer thru my bad joke. Let me know if your on the same train.

Yeah, taking that same train, leaving @ 4pm right? Arrives in Va on the 1st @ 8am

hi
my lease does not start until the 9th and i was hoping that i could sleepover another postbac-ers place until then (the 3rd or 4th until i leave early sat morn). i am a neat female who is a non-smoker. i would compensate you for your troubles. i am from new york as well.
please PM me if you can help me out.

thanks.

I'll be movin into the Winchester apartments (W54th St.) on Friday (Sept 1st). I won't have internet from the 1st thru the 5th so whatever you all decide on doing, just call me and keep me informed. As for my input, I am fine with either of kikigirl's suggestions.

Jeff

Hey guys!

I've decided to come to erie and join you guys... =)
Can't wait to meet you all!

hey guys i'll be doing the post bac in erie at lecom too. I just moved into a place in willowwood. Anyone else in that complex?

Hello everyone,
I will also be joining you at LECOM. I would be interested in the get together also.

So when is the get-together? I hope I'll be able to make it.

Yep! Quite a few of us. Let me know if u are interested in an informal get together. We will probably do something sunday or monday.

yay! when i signed my lease they told me that there were a lot of older people in the development..so I got scared..haha

I won't be around till Tuesday morning...but we should def. do something later on in the week also =)

Is there anything to do in erie??

So how is everyone finding the LECOM biomed. program?

Give us prospective applicants some insight.

Thank you.

So far, the program has been great. I am very glad I chose to come here. I think LECOM's postbac is a hidden gem, at least for now. It will get more and more competitive every year. So, if you're interested, apply asap. This is a no-lag(for most) year program. If you do well, you're admitted the following fall for med school. If DO is what you want, look no further. This program can work for preMD's, but I think Georgetown SMP or BU MAMS are better suited for MD applicants.

As far as DO or PharmD (LECOM also has pharmD postbac), this is a great program.

If you have any questions, pm me. I will answer them.

The program is great so far. It runs at a very good pace to prepare for med school. As long as you can maintain a 3.0 and get at least a 20 on your MCAT, you are pretty much guarenteed a seat for next year's DO class. The professors are wonderful and treat us like medical students. Hope this helps you out!

How was everyone's first semester? Harder than you thought? Easier than you thought?

Does anyone know if LECOM-Bradenton has a postbac program. I looked on the website but didn't see anything. Thanks.

Hey peepo

For the Postbacc Program would it be better to send a Committee Letter or just a science professor's letter of recommendation? I am asking this because in the application it didn't say anything about possibly sending a Committe Letter.

Thanks

The Bradenton campus does not have a post bac class as of yet. In fact, many of our students here for this year's post bac are from FL.

It doesn't matter if you have a committee letter or a regular science professor's letter. To be honest, most sincere committees won't write you a letter if you don't have a strong MCAT or GPA, and more than likely if you are applying to post bac, you had issues with getting into med school.(I know I did) I had a letter from my physiology professor and my microbiology professor and had no trouble whatsoever getting accepted into postbac. The truth is, they are quite lenient on the students they accept. They really do want everyone to succeed and be in a medical school somewhere! Don't sweat about the post-bac. But once you are here you will want to study and work as hard as possible to prove yourself to the school. As far as the curriculum and studying, I had no trouble at all. Did I study?... YES. Did I study a lot?... YES. But i only did so for re-inforcement to insure that I got the grades that I wanted. If you had a strong bio background in undergrad and you had over a 3.5, you should be set for the program. And yes, this will prepare you nicely for your first part of the first semester of MS1.

If anyone has any other questions, send a private message because I rarely check this thread anymore. Good Luck everyone!

Thanks for the infos. How would an applicant find out about the status of his application and if he is missing anything for the program. I have been sending a few emails without any reply.

thanks

Hello all. I am currently applying to the Postbac at LECOM. Does anyone know how long it takes for a descision to be made? I also have trouble getting LECOM to reply to my emails.

It took them about 6 weeks to accept me. I sent my app in toward the end of February and I was notified of the acceptance on the 14th of April. If you want to find anything out about post bac, address your e-mails to Brian Simmonsen (just search the LECOM website for that name and u will get his e-mail address). When I e-mail him now, I get a response back in minutes. If you address it to the postbac address, he responds, but no where near as quickly. Learn to trust Brian as he will be your best friend and resource through post bac. Any other questions, just let us know!

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions for you:
-are the lecom postbac courses at graduate level?
-would you recommend the program for someone trying to get into dental school only? I am contacting the admissions office to see if they can consider my DAT scores instead of the MCAT ones.
-is the program only for students with no Bachelors of Science (with little upper level science courses), or can someone with a Bachelors of Science apply to the program as well?

Thanks everyone :D

The courses are actually almost the same as the courses that the first year medical students take, yet it is considered an undergraduate post-bac program.

I am in this year's class and we actually have a few pre-dental students in our class now.

The program is actually meant for people who already have all the requirements for medical school, but need to show improvement academically to make up for a low GPA or low MCAT score.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey, if anyone is still looking for a place to live, I have a friend who is looking for a roommate. She was a former LECOM PostBac '08 student accepted into this September's incoming Pharmacy class who is looking to share a large 2 bedroom townhouse, located about 9 miles from school near the lake. It has a 2 car garage (you're going to want it come winter) and full basement for storage. If you are a non-smoker, ok with pets, and would be interested in more details, send me a message and I will get you in contact with her.