2006 Econ graduate needs post bac advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuruppu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going crazy trying to figure out if a post bac path is for me...

Here's the story:
I graduated from UCSB in Sept. 2006 in economics with a GPA of 3.2, and then I left the country and worked for the world bank for a few months along with volunteering for a non profit (did some work at an orphanage). While there, I got a little virus called Dengue fever and was hospitalized at a govt. hospital (not fun). But since then, I have really been seriously considering medecine. I came back in March and have been studying to take my GMAT for business school ever since.... Not sure why I jumped into it so fast, but when I graduated initially thought I wanted an MBA. At this point, I have little experience in health besides volunteering at that nonprofit and working for a summer at another pharmaceutical non profit. What should I do and am I crazy for only wanting to do this now, with little to no experience, and not such a great academic record??

My main question is this:

Is anyone currently doing a post bac program or has completed it and can tell me a little about their own experience. What did you do before you got in, where did you go, and was it worth it? Also, be honest.... what are my chances??

Members don't see this ad.

Lokhtar,

The advice you give is massive help. I have a few more questions... Have you heard anything about USC's post bac program?? If in my application I state that I will do volunteer work and shadow physicians until the beginning of the program, will that help my chances of getting in? Knowing my backround, what would be considered a safe school, and would Columbia be within my reach??

Also, if I apply this fall, how long would a program take to complete?

i've heard about USC and its a ridiculous amount of money for what amounts to lower division prereqs. however if you insist on doing a formal one it appears (from what ive read on this board) that columbia and harvard postbac are the way to go.

i'm all about state schools. doing a postbac at a Cal State right now. compared to a UC (i went to one too) its less competition and better teaching for the most part. plus its cheap. CHEAP. i applied to a second bachelors program, they're pretty easy to get into. try that. if not, then open university works too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going crazy trying to figure out if a post bac path is for me...

Here's the story:
I graduated from UCSB in Sept. 2006 in economics with a GPA of 3.2, and then I left the country and worked for the world bank for a few months along with volunteering for a non profit (did some work at an orphanage). While there, I got a little virus called Dengue fever and was hospitalized at a govt. hospital (not fun). But since then, I have really been seriously considering medecine. I came back in March and have been studying to take my GMAT for business school ever since.... Not sure why I jumped into it so fast, but when I graduated initially thought I wanted an MBA. At this point, I have little experience in health besides volunteering at that nonprofit and working for a summer at another pharmaceutical non profit. What should I do and am I crazy for only wanting to do this now, with little to no experience, and not such a great academic record??

My main question is this:

Is anyone currently doing a post bac program or has completed it and can tell me a little about their own experience. What did you do before you got in, where did you go, and was it worth it? Also, be honest.... what are my chances??

i just started my post-bacc work. i chose the extension school route (that's what Harvard is, by the way) so the cost is definitely less expensive than a formal post-bacc program. it's going well so far, but there's definitely a difference between extension schools and formal programs. i can share some of my observations, if you like.

your chances - only time and your complete application will tell. if you still need to take all of your pre-reqs, you'll have some time to get out there, get involved with some things and really see what medicine is like. how you spend your time in the next year or so while you take your pre-reqs will really help shape your application and you'll have a better idea of your chances.

What are your standardized test scores? (SAT, GRE)?

The top formal postbac programs are geared towards non-science majors (Scripps, Bryn Mawr, Goucher) and are very competitive. Harvard, Penn, Columbia etc are somewhat less competitive but also have less linkages and are larger programs that don't offer as good of advising AFAIK. Depending on your test scores, you would probably be competitive for Penn, HES, Columbia, but perhaps not for Scripps, BM, Goucher. USC is an interesting program but it's pretty self-directed. They do seem to place a lot of their graduates into Keck though.

If I remember correctly, my SAT score is pretty low: 1040 I think. I'd like to get into one of the top programs, but based on my stats alone...I'm guessing its not looking so good.