2005 Navy gme selection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rotatores

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back in Nov I saw an email from a Navy HPSP 4th yr regarding how many applicants applied to each location and to which internship. Does anybody still have that email by chance. This letter was sent before the selection committee met.

thanks,
rotatores

Members don't see this ad.

Below I've copied and pasted what I think you're asking for. I also have the numbers for full deferments, if you're interested.

1. As promised, "FIRST CHOICE" numbers are below. I will not break them down by hospital but I will tell you that San Diego is always the most popular site. And that is true again this year except for PSY, which is spread relatively evenly.

Number of Navy GME-1 positions available: FP--43; MED--58; OB--13;
PEDS--21 (may decrease to 19); PSY--11; SUR--50; TRA--62.

Number of Students Asking For:

FP -- 30
MED -- 45
OB -- 14
PEDS -- 27
PSY -- 7
SUR -- 69
TRA -- 60
1-YEAR DEF -- 5
FULL DEF ANES -- 15
FULL DEF DERM -- 1
FULL DEF EMER MED -- 5
FULL DEF FP -- 4
FULL DEF INT MED -- 6
FULL DEF NEUROLOGY -- 1
FULL DEF NEUROSUR -- 3
FULL DEF OB -- 8
FULL DEF OPHTH -- 2
FULL DEF ORTHO -- 12
FULL DEF OTO -- 3
FULL DEF PATH -- 5
FULL DEF PSY -- 2
FULL DEF RAD -- 6
FULL DEF SURG-PLASTICS -- 1
FULL DEF GEN SUR -- 10
FULL DEF UROL -- 3

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any insight as to why none of the Navy deferments for the surg subspecialities were filled last year (DERM, OTO, or OPTHO). I understand that there were some very competitive candidates asking for those spots.

2 Derm deferments were authorized last year. Does anyone know if any of these 2 people were able to get a civilian Derm slot?

Did those two individuals complete a GMO tour first?

DJR said:
Did those two individuals complete a GMO tour first?

Last year, there were 2 authorized Derm deferments. One was definitely a GMO and I'm fairly certain the other was also. Derm is competitive, even in the Navy. For competitive fields in the Navy, such as Derm, Rads, etc, GMOs, flight surgeons, and undersea MOs are always given preference before 4th year med students. In the Army and Air Force, it's a different story.

However, even if you are given a deferment, you still have to compete and find a civilian slot. In Derm, this is not very easy to do.

I'm so pissed off. I contacted one of the Navy GME residency programs about setting up an interview and they are being such A$$es. They said I was not competitive last year and to keep that in mind in the application process. Of course, I was deployed to the "sand box" all last year with my Marine unit. I was not competitive last year because I was getting shot at, busy dodging bullets and schrapnel from IEDs, and had other things on my mind...like living. I'm sorry I could not interview in person and not complete my application!

Of course, they forget to read my transcripts and CV. I graduated med school in the top 20% of my class, have board scores in the 240's, and have research and publications. This is yet another reason why I should leave the military and go to a civilian residency program. I know many civilian programs which would appreciate these grades, scores, CV bullets, and military experience.