2004 Vs. 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the major differences btwn the 2003 and 2004 edition of First Aid?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the 2003 edition but I did notice some differences between the 2004 and 2002 editions, although there aren't apparently many. I only really compared the cardiac physiology sections, though. As I was flipping through, I noticed that there was some new EKG stuff in the 2004 edition and some new diagrams from some of the new review books. (There were several diagrams from Katzung's Road Map Pharm book, for example.) Makes you wonder whether they have some type of deal going on with Katzung, since first aid rips a lot of diagrams every year from his books.

i went on amazon and it said that the book is 650 pages!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, the 2004 First Aid is 496 pages. And the 2002 edition is 498 pages. So, basically, the overall length of First Aid hasn't changed at all. But, if you compare the section that everyone probably cares the most about - Database of High Yield Facts - there is a difference of about 20 extra pages in favor of the 2004 edition compared to the 2002 edition.

The fact that they have expanded this section by less than 10% in 3 years is a good thing, in my opinion. It means they are being super selective about the information they are adding. Some review books go bat crazy with new editions.

High Yield Embryology is a case in point. First edition was 47 pages. Second edition, the one that most people read now, is 151 pages. The book tripled between editions! Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me, for a subject that most people say they only got 4 or 5 questions on at the most.

Medicine has totally changed since last year. Completely. Tetralogy of Fallot is now just Duology of Fallot. I think they found a few more amino acids. Lungs are now in the abdomen, but the heart is still in the chest.