2004 Advanced Standing Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UOP's next batch may be Dec 18th and 19th.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by cods
....I graduated in 2002, i gave my part1 in july 2003... score.... 88, toefl 257, n GPA 3.66...
i applied...

1) lomalinda.. no call.... coz of no part2(atlest thats wat they said)

Exactly that's what THEY SAID. Let's all remember that LLU is a private religious school, so they actually can reject anyone based on religion, even if they don't say it. Seriously, if they actually wanted part 2, they'll ask for it straight forward in the requirements for application. But not, they rather make you waste your money in app, I guess they want to see if they find a "minister letter" in it. Good thing I realize this after I missed the app deadline!!!

hi all

I applied for three universities ,and I ,ve got two interviews.
one of them was successful which was at tufts,another one at upenn ,I haven't heard anything yet.
Tufts
ucla
upenn
partone 93
part two 89
toefl 257

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by foreign dentist
...I applied for three universities ,and I ,ve got two interviews.
one of them was successful which was at tufts,another one at upenn ,I haven't heard anything yet....
Got addmited at Tufts, cogratulations!!! Hopefully you'll get admitted at UPenn too, so you actually can choose what suits you best. Great scores, btw! :)

interview update

BU: interview on dec 11

I have my interveiw
upen-19nov
bu-20nov
just wondering if anyone has neck to neck interveiw as me??:confused:

I have my interveiw upen-19nov
bu-20nov
just wondering if anyone has neck to neck interveiw as me??

I think u can call them and reschedule your interview.

I called both schools..next date is on jan 8th for BU..which would be too late .
I guess i will have to give them back to back!!
thanks
pooja

UPDATE

UPenn--- I called today, my application was reviewed and no decision was taken. It will go to the AdComs today again, to be reviewed again. To call within 2 weeks. What is this suposse to mean? Deciding between waitlisting or rejecting me? :scared: :mad:

UOP--- I called today, spoke with Brenda, very friendly and helpful girl. They will not review new applications until after the deadline is over (which was yesterday, Friday 31st). On Monday all apps will go to the Examinations Commitee to be reviewed, when they're done with them, they'll provide the office with a list of students they'll like to interview. This will happen by the end of November, as soon as the office gets this list, they'll start mailing letters.

hi guys,,
now i have to think abt other option...:( (as i got rejection from PENN)
i have applied to CWRU only..other then penn
i havent yet applied to other schools,,is it possible if i now apply to BU??:confused:
any advise welcomed..

Foreign Dentist,

Can you check your Private message that I sent you. Appreciate if you could answer

hi guys, I wonder why whenever I read this board I feel very pessimistic. what makes these dental schools not giving us enough opportunities? is there a surplus of dentists in U S :(

Priti, you better apply somewhere else ASAP, 'cause Case Western is space based, which means they'll only have spots according to the amount of spots left empty by their junior class, which I'm sure won't be many. Same thing goes for Marquette.

So start to check schools in which you could possible still apply. BU, NOVA, NYU, etc all have next year deadlines, so you still have time. Go, run!!!

Originally posted by soli
hi guys, I wonder why whenever I read this board I feel very pessimistic. what makes these dental schools not giving us enough opportunities? is there a surplus of dentists in U S :(

Yes, it tends to happen to me too. :( But it's better to get your facts straight....;) Dentist surplus is not the problem. It's rather that ADA doesn't want to risk the quality of the profession, by letting some Mr. Nobody from some other country come here and mess up. They want to make sure you know everything that a US trained dentists knows (or so they hope), 'cause they assume that their education must be better. So they make it as hard as possible. :( :p

Welcome to SDN, by the way. What are yo up to? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody,

My friend just called me. She was rejected from LLU. She said that while she was there, she saw that they only accepted ONE Indian applicant.

If I remember correctly, she said that there the majority of people were Indian at the test. This is definitely discrimination in my opinion. Why would they call close to 80 people from the same background to give away only ONE position out of 16.

That really sucks. I hope I don't have to deal with these awaful situations when I apply. They really need to take a look at their policy and correct themselves.

please don't say so, my friend. You are discriminating against other people just as well. Each person earned their seat from hardwork, Why do you think there should be a certain percentage for Indians even 80 or 90% of the applicants were indians? Same thing applies to any race or any kind.

I am not discriminating against anyone. Just seems to be that way to me. I am not Indian...therefore I am making an unbiased judgement. Just seems strange to me that's all.
I believe every single person who was there at the testing deserved to be there....no less or more than the ones who got accepted. THAT is what I am saying.

Give it up guys, there's nothing you can do about who they accept and who they dont . So just do your best. Remember we are not living in the ' PERFECT WORLD'.

Hello!!!

I sure wish we did live in the "perfect world". That way we would get to go to any university we wanted. It is just disappointing to hear (or rather read) of all the rejections. Does anyone have a good joke to post? To cheer everyone up????:clap:

Originally posted by soli

Actually, this particular point beats me too. The number of dental graduates coming out each year has reduced by about a third in the past 2-3 decades. Whereas population, dental awareness etc is on a constant rise. Also, it is predicted that in the next decade, there'd be a surge in geriatric cases and there ever increasing med and dental needs (the baby boomers).

Yeah I have to agree that there is going to be a shortage of dentists.
We had one buisness person come in from this Insurance company and say that once you graduate you should be in a position to go to any aging dentist and be able to buy him out at your terms.
So, I guess thats good news for all of us who made it and will be graduating soon.
Just some thoughts...... I may have not made much sense, but hey, I just saw Matrix Revolutions last night, and I am thoroughly confused.
Saravs

interview update:

USC: it was ok for me.............. i realised there is lots of competition all around in usc........ n i felt everybody was good there n capable.......... .. i did my part n now waiting for them to do thier part.......

NYU: got a call.. need to select a date between nov 13 to dec 18

hi cods,
when did you submit your application?

hi sanju.....
sorry for the late reply...... as far as i remember i think i applied arround 1st week of october......... i scheduled my interview on 13 nov.....

hi cods,
all the best for NYU interview.

sanju

Hii Friends..
I am an foreign dentist hoping to get into a reputed dental school(advanced standing). I passed my part 1 recently and came across this site. I feel its a good approach to overcome the doubts for the admissions procedure. I am posting you my stats and want to know which colleges have what priorities??. part 1 93 Toefl 280 GPA 1.6 . I applied to all the colleges listed in this site and received interview call from USC( sadly ). Will talk with you in this forum .. byeeee good_for_all

Hii sam3 and meggs,
Yap, my stats are the same, I had some couple of questions, and one of that is what are the priorities of the colleges, as i have seen by reading the forums that different colleges have different preferences?? Do tell me ..byee
good_for_all

Hi,
r u sure your GPA is 1.6?? i dont think that is possible with your part 1 and TOEFL being so good, doesn't match it!! did u get your GPA evaluated by ECE? or its a diff system?

UPDATE: No update at all!!!!!!!! I called schools today,

UCSF: " Your file is going to be reviwed this afternoon by the Comittee, letters will be sent on Tuesday".

UPenn: "Your file still under review, we don't have a status for you yet. A member of the Comitee is out of the office, and I don't think will be back by next week, so we can't give you a date of when results will be out."

NYU: "Your file is beign reviewed, we can't tell you more, wait for a letter between December and April".

:mad:

results of what? interview calls? i have mailed my appln in the last week of october. pretty anxious abt upenn interview call.have not heard from them. called them up yesterday and they told me the same thing. file is under review. do you think 2.53 is a low GPA for a call from either NYU or UPenn?

sanju

Originally posted by Sanju
results of what? interview calls?

results of whatever they want to it to be..... I have got nothing from schools, other than the app complete thing.

I have the same situation regarding NYU+PENN..........................

Your application is under review.............

Hey, why didn't any body appliy at University of Pittsburg, is there something I don't know about that university?
Not that I've done it, but now I think that wasn't a bad idea... As I applied only at UCSF and UPENN...

Originally posted by ivanBG
Hey, why didn't any body appliy at University of Pittsburg, is there something I don't know about that university?
Not that I've done it, but now I think that wasn't a bad idea... As I applied only at UCSF and UPENN...

UPitt requires part 2, that's probably it.

UPDATE:

hi all......

NYU : attended interview on 13 nov.. it was cool........ 10 students were there along with me........ interview went on for 30 min...... just normal stuff..... ... they stressed more about " wat do i know abt NYU" .... n the intrviewer explained mostly abt the university.....

UCSF : finally got a letter that my application was complete.... nothing more....

UCLA: got a letter that i am in a alternate list.. might call me for an interview in a latter date..........

hi,
is any body here having his/her interview in BU on jan 22nd?
:eek:

hi docter bristles,
i also have an interview in BU on jan 22nd.

wow there are already 4 people here who have an interview in BU on jan 22nd. anybody else? docter bristles,vajra bentur and pkowe meet you in BU on jan 22nd.all the best to all of you.

awesome,
can u all share that how re u all preparing?and wat will be the best way to approach this interview?any body has done some homework on this?
any kind of feedback will be appreciated.
:) thanx for the quick responses.

Originally posted by Doctor Bristles
awesome,
can u all share that how re u all preparing?and wat will be the best way to approach this interview?any body has done some homework on this?
any kind of feedback will be appreciated.
:) thanx for the quick responses.

Do a search on this forum. This topic has been talked about often.

About UIC. They'll only give a certificate, it won't be a DDS degree. So you won't be able to practice outside of Illinois.

doctor bristles,
if you don't mind can you tell me where you live?i live in chicago.i also applied to UIC's IDP program.you can PM me.

Originally posted by meggs
Do a search on this forum. This topic has been talked about often.

About UIC. They'll only give a certificate, it won't be a DDS degree. So you won't be able to practice outside of Illinois.
hi meggs,
i certainly searched on this forum before asking,and i do know that u can practice in almost only illinois...but people do apply in uic...&trust me there s a big line of people tryin to get in uic..and i was looking for one from that line only.:)
because i know that their interview s not like lot of other interviews,they ve lot of casts on the table,and ask about the treatment planning ....and about cavity liners etc...
so i was wandering are u all preparing for that or just trying it with your old knowledge of subjects,only.:eek:

Originally posted by smitha30
doctor bristles,
if you don't mind can you tell me where you live?i live in chicago.i also applied to UIC.the IDP program in UIC is ADA recognised and i know you can get license in some states like michigan if the program is ADA recognised.you can call the state board in the state you want to stay and find out.hope this helps.do you mind me telling me your stats?you can PM me.
hi smitha,
plz check ur pm.

UPDATE

Got interview invite for UOP on Dec 16, 17 and 18th. If you have any advice for me, such as hotel, appropiate clothing, etc. LET ME KNOW, PLease!

Congratulations meggs.Where have you been all this time??
(Long time no see)??R U OK??.

Originally posted by meggs
UPDATE

Got interview invite for UOP on Dec 16, 17 and 18th. If you have any advice for me, such as hotel, appropiate clothing, etc. LET ME KNOW, PLease!

If you are out of touch with the didactics , PRACTICE ! Its important that you do very well in it.

Thanks Henna,

The funny thing is that in school they taught us that 3/4 crowns are outdated, so I've never seen one in my life!! But I already got from the library Shillingurg's book, but it only shows posteriors crowns, and at UOP they'll require anteriors. But what the heck....

I do Class 2 preps everyday, so that won't be the problem. But I hate proshto, and I haven't done it since two years ago when I got out of school.

Hey Henna, since you're at SF, do you know by any chance student hostels, you know, those in which you stay for very cheap and you share with a few people a room, bathrom, etc. If you do, let me know please. Thanks!