20 questions and answers from SDN Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I noticed she didnt mention her compensation. Also the 60 hrs/week seems fairy harsh for someone doing just service work + admin (reported as 5hrs per week).

I noticed she didnt mention her compensation. Also the 60 hrs/week seems fairy harsh for someone doing just service work + admin (reported as 5hrs per week).

It's a large/busy hospital in a fairly undesirable part of the country. I would guess cyto is somewhat understaffed, as there's a cyto job opening according the website (cyto + surg path). Perhaps that's the reason?

As for the salary, I don't think I've seen any MD explicitly state their income. I do concede a range would've been nice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Huh, didn't even know about this! Thanks for the link.

55-60 hours a week does sound like a little much but it is a semi-academic program and she is fairly junior so it isn't that surprising. It might be an overestimate. I don't know of too many pathology depts where lots of people are still around at 630 pm. In my group most are gone by 530 unless on call.

Huh, didn't even know about this! Thanks for the link.

55-60 hours a week does sound like a little much but it is a semi-academic program and she is fairly junior so it isn't that surprising. It might be an overestimate. I don't know of too many pathology depts where lots of people are still around at 630 pm. In my group most are gone by 530 unless on call.

yep. Or gone by 3pm...or noon even.:laugh:

<TABLE id=post10357742 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->
post_old.gif
9-21-2010, 12:10 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" class=thead align=right>#6 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>LADoc00<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_10357742", true); </SCRIPT>
híppos khl&#333;rós

<!-- SDNCODE Status -->Status: Attending
<!-- / SDNCODE Status -->Join Date: Sep 2004
<!-- SDNCODE Icons --><!-- /SDNCODE Icons --><!-- SDNCODE Year Badges -->
07year.png

<!-- /SDNCODE Year Badges -->

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" id=td_post_10357742 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->
icon1.png

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc; COLOR: #cccccc" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I have all my cases out with paperwork/gross dictation by 7am. Sometimes by 6am.

That day I began at 7am sharp. With NO distractions (ie frozens, phone calls or meltdowns), hour 45 min is enough time for me to read and dictate a light to medium load at ~250 bed hospital with ease (1-2 coffee breaks?).

For reference, there are 750 beds at Brigham and Womens in Boston, 600 beds at Stanford, ~375 at UC San Diego Med Center.

Although the scaling up doesnt work this way at tertiary care centers..3xLADOCs would easily be able to SO all of Stanford before (excluding say cytology and consults) and be on the legendary Stanford Golf Course by 11am, perhaps dinner in SF at the Slanted Door by 5pm.
4 man crew, 1 guy always off (75% time or about 20 hours/week of actual work plus call/frozens)

I am not the master of this..there are few groups in California that get to work at 6:30am sharp everyday, sign out by 8-9am and have only 1 guy there to do frozen (often just by pager), while the rest enjoy a day at the beach/golfing/hiking etc.
<!-- / sig -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" class=alt2>
user_offline.gif
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --> <!-- SDNCODE: REPLY ALL --><!-- /SDNCODE: REPLY ALL --><!-- SDNCODE: MULTIQUOTE MOD --> <!-- /SDNCODE: MULTIQUOTE MOD --> <!-- / controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Im glad the SDN librarian keeps a close eye on my posts for referencing purposes.

We need a "LADOC pubmed" search function for the site.