2 years residency and then....CVS?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tongiecc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not too big of a poster here (I mostly just lurk as loggin in and posting seems must be quite addictive judging by epic and the like) So NEway this story was just too good to pass up, someone comes into my store today and says their niece is 'finally' graduating pharm school after 9 yrs, then after some conversing I found out they must have done 2 yrs residency (must have done a py1 then a specialized but they didn't seem 2 know 4 sure) So then they go on to say that she was going to work for CVS; I don't know what you all think, but I think this is NUTS - I can understand if you felt that you weren't fond of hospital, etc but why do a second residency year?

Just thought you all would get a kick out of this one, of course maybe it was all BS anyway and it too her 9 years to become a CphT and she calls herself a 'pharmacist' to her relatives, wouldn't surprise me for some reason (No offense to any techs/interns/or pretty much anyone intended here)

Members don't see this ad.

i'm going to do a 2-year residency and work part-time float with CVS

for my main job...i still don't know what i want to do yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like she wasted alot of time. She could have a good plan though. Get paid at CVS for a few years and then switch back to hospital once you have the debt paid down a little. Epic would know better but I thought the gap between hospital and retail salaries had largly closed. With a 2 year residency I would figure she could make almost as much as CVS and have a whole lot more fun. Who knows why people do what they do.....

The guy who interviewed me for CVS summer internship did a pediatric residency and then couldn't deal with working with severely ill pediatric patients and the emotional involvement that adds up, especially if you have kids yourself. He bailed and went to CVS. So I guess it's not a unique situation.

I know a couple people who did residencies (particularly non-accredited specialties, I can think of 2 who did cards) and are working retail. They don't regret it (at least one had committed to that store early in her pharmacy school career before she'd considered residency) and they say it makes them better retail pharmacists. I'm curious to see if they return to an institutional setting once the commitment is over.

I thought someone did a 2-year residency and then can't find a job and has to work at CVS. That would be awful.

their niece is 'finally' graduating pharm school after 9 yrs, then after some conversing I found out they must have done 2 yrs residency

Hmm... could it be 4 yrs pre-pharm + 4 yrs pharm school + 1 year repeat?

or maybe they did 4 yrs bachelor's + 1 yr pre-pharm courses + 4 pharm school?

Doubtful they did a residency. Im graduating this month after 9 years of school and I didnt do a residency.

I'll be graduating after 6 years and will prolly do a residency....

Ya i was think the same or 4bach, 4pharm, 1recidency. Or it was a 6yr program and failed somewhere 3 times having to repeat. lol. That would NOT be fun.

Normally people do residencies because they are unsure what they want to do or don't feel as confident as they should as a practitioner.

I'd tell her to do whatever makes her feel comfortable and confident.

Normally people do residencies because they are unsure what they want to do or don't feel as confident as they should as a practitioner.

is that what they're telling people?

I haven't heard it interpreted that way before.

I thought it was the opposite; people know what they want to specialize in and pick a residency program that reflects their interests. I generally perceived it as more of an expansion of your knowledge/skill base than solely as a way to become more comfortable as a practitioner.

This gets my vote. Either that, or like all tall tales the loooong 9 years actually was just the normal 6. Maybe her niece walked to pharmacy school in the snow, up hill both ways, and in just a burlap sack.

I doubt that anyone who put two grueling years into residency would just settle down for CVS.

It took me 6 years to get my BBA in Mgt (boy that was a fun 6 years though!) and now it's looking like 2-3 years prepharm while working full time and then 4 years pharm school...

SO.FREAKING.LONG.

I'm thinking along the lines of 5+4 (5 yrs undergrad and 4 yrs pharm) or a 4+1+4 (4 yrs undergrad, didnt get into pharm school so reapplied and got in the next yr, and 4 yrs in pharm).. because I highly doubt someone would finish 2 years of residency and opt for CVS. my guesses aren't all that uncommon especially if u don't have perfect grades or great interviewing skills. I will personally be a 5+1+4+2 (well, i'm assuming i will get matched into a residency back to back) :p