2 year window for EPPP at VA...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittpsych2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!
I have a question for VA folks. I received an informal offer yesterday while interviewing at VA hospital (yay!). The chief stated that he'd really like me to take the EPPP "within a month" (such that I am fully licensed by projected start date of September 2017) because he doesn't want to go through the credentialing process twice. (My understanding is that if I'm not yet licensed I come in as a "dependent" provider at a GS-12, step 1 but have 2 years to take the EPPP; if I come in licensed I'm an "independent provider" and can maybe negotitate for a higher step.) I stated in our conversation that I would do my best but the chief also knows that I'm still trying to get my application materials for licensure in the state to which I am applying. Furthermore, I can't even register for EPPP until my application has been approved (and this particular state reviews every 60 days). So of course there is no way I can take the EPPP by June; in fact I just started studying and was aiming to take it at the end of August/early September. My postdoc is a crazy 50-55 hours/week and I was advised by my preceptor at postdoc to "not worry" about the taking the EPPP while on fellowship but to go for a VA job and take advantage of the EPPP 2 year time frame.

I'm concerned that my informal offer is contingent upon taking and passing EPPP and wondering if others have received VA offers with a similar stipulation? I'm also wondering if I should wait to get a formal offer from HR before going back to chief and trying to negotiate for a later EPPP date or if I should just be up front and state that I'm still very interested in the position but that I cannot promise to have EPPP by start date and that I'm happy to start at a GS-12 Step 1 (which is totally fine with me). I understand her concerns -- there was a person that had recently been hired but had to be let go after not passing within 2 years and I think the chief feels a bit burned. But I am not that person and I'm confident I will pass if I'm given enough time to study.

Thoughts? This is so nerve-wracking!

Thanks,
M

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings!
I have a question for VA folks. I received an informal offer yesterday while interviewing at VA hospital (yay!). The chief stated that he'd really like me to take the EPPP "within a month" (such that I am fully licensed by projected start date of September 2017) because he doesn't want to go through the credentialing process twice. (My understanding is that if I'm not yet licensed I come in as a "dependent" provider at a GS-12, step 1 but have 2 years to take the EPPP; if I come in licensed I'm an "independent provider" and can maybe negotitate for a higher step.) I stated in our conversation that I would do my best but the chief also knows that I'm still trying to get my application materials for licensure in the state to which I am applying. Furthermore, I can't even register for EPPP until my application has been approved (and this particular state reviews every 60 days). So of course there is no way I can take the EPPP by June; in fact I just started studying and was aiming to take it at the end of August/early September. My postdoc is a crazy 50-55 hours/week and I was advised by my preceptor at postdoc to "not worry" about the taking the EPPP while on fellowship but to go for a VA job and take advantage of the EPPP 2 year time frame.

I'm concerned that my informal offer is contingent upon taking and passing EPPP and wondering if others have received VA offers with a similar stipulation? I'm also wondering if I should wait to get a formal offer from HR before going back to chief and trying to negotiate for a later EPPP date or if I should just be up front and state that I'm still very interested in the position but that I cannot promise to have EPPP by start date and that I'm happy to start at a GS-12 Step 1 (which is totally fine with me). I understand her concerns -- there was a person that had recently been hired but had to be let go after not passing within 2 years and I think the chief feels a bit burned. But I am not that person and I'm confident I will pass if I'm given enough time to study.

Thanks,
M

Once you have the offer from HR, they have to play by the rules. Which is 2 years.

Greetings!

Thanks,
M
posted in error

Last edited: