2 questions : FA IM Chapters vs Step up to Medicine + Secrets vs Crush.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visoniama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 questions : FA IM Chapters vs Step up to Medicine + Secrets vs Crush.

I did a few searches within this subforum (exam experiences/books) prior to posting this. Taking CK in 6 weeks (light elective) and would appreciate additional input. Can anyone spare a few minutes and comment (positive / negative) on Crush the boards versus Secrets and Step up to Medicine (SUTM) versus the Internal Medicine (IM) chapters in the new 8th edition First Aid (FA)?

Re: Crush/Secrets - It seems by an overall consensus, that Crush and Secrets are nearly identical - just different styles of writing. However, that's as far as the discussions or comments here seem to go. Surely, there must be some differences... does anyone actually have access to both books for better clarification? I looked at the amazon book previews, but it didn't appear that they were literally word for word similar, and that there were different table of contents/sections - Secrets was written in 2010 and looks like there's a new edition of Crush from 2012.

On a humorous side note, it looks like (I might be wrong) the original author's (Brochert) of the aforementioned, seemed to have passed editorial rights to the newer one (O'Connell). Looking over the recent secrets follow-up comment from the new author [Ted], it was kind of funny to see his past product comments on amazon; all on the same date - guess it's a requirement? :) That said, it's tough to trust half the amazon user comments.

This was probably the most important of the two q's, re: SUTM and the (IM) chapters of FA - debating on whether to use all of FA (including IM chapters) and skip SUTM or stick with the opposite and read only the Non-IM FA chapters with SUTM. I don't have either as of yet, and I wasn't sure on how the IM section is in the 2012 8th edition of FA - The FA IM chapters would correlate to everything from the table of contents in SUTM right?

I was ideally hoping that in 6 weeks, Secrets along with usmleworld AND +/- SUTM for medicine, FA (non-IM), would cover most of the presumable (not everything) gaps a bit better. Thanks again for sharing -

Members don't see this ad.

don't use STUTM

its the goljan of step 2 prep. Very detailed, and a difficult read, and a lot of VERY extraneous material.

the other resources i can't comment on. I used U World and STUTS2

Last edited:
Right, I couldn't disagree on the detail aspect of SUTM - At the bookstore I did look at the Step up to Step 2 (SUTS2) in comparison to the First Aid CK 8th - maybe I didn't spend enough time glancing through it, but it [SUTS2) seemed kind of skimpy.. I know it's used in the DIT course from another previous thread search, but I wasn't planning on doing that - figured, I'd spend a bit more time independently for the next 5-6 weeks reading and doing questions.

It would be nice to see how the medicine (IM) section of FA is overall - or if there was an addendum to agree with the previous poster's comment on step up to step 2...

I am also interested in getting the answer. I have just started looking for books, but cannot seem to find the right combination for 2CK. It seems that people favor MTB over FA 2CK.
I'm also looking for a quite comprehensive book as a reference and cannot decide between Current MDT 2013, Harrison's 18ed and Step up to medicine 3ed that just became available. Can anyone help, please? Thank you!