2 questions .. about "one semester ochem" and withdraws.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alleyez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone taken the "one-semester organic chem"? how is it?

should i go for organic I and organic II separately or try to tackle them at once with the "one-semester ochem" thing
I'm not strong in chem,,, btw.. i don't like it too much

and about withdraws.... my university allows two withdraws per 60 hours of credit.... i've already used them both.... will the med schools see that or does the university take it out in the transcript?

i just heard.. that after two withdraws... the third one will hurt you... but the first two wont or something...I'm not really sure how that works.

Members don't see this ad.

By "one-semester organic chem", do you mean a condensed version of orgo, like a "principles of..."? That might be helpful before you take the full year, but you know it won't satisfy the pre-med requirement, right?

As for withdrawals, I withdrew from orgo I and it is on my transcript. I was told not to worry about it, and I have a good reason for withdrawing, should the medical schools ask. Plus, when I finally took it a year later I got an A-, so at least they know it's not because I couldn't hack it.

I would try to avoid having multiple withdrawals on your record, because it might suggest to schools that you give up when the going gets hard, and that is the exact opposite of what they are looking for in med school candidates. If you have good reasons for your withdrawals, you might want to write about it. Most schools seem to have space for additional comments.

That's my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
no.. the "one-semester" organic is Organic Chem 1 and II combined in one semester. I don't know how they do it or how hard it is... but i know it exists. I was thinking of tackling it and getting both over with in one semester but i can't afford to get anymore bad grades :mad:

Originally posted by KarateGirl
By "one-semester organic chem", do you mean a condensed version of orgo, like a "principles of..."? That might be helpful before you take the full year, but you know it won't satisfy the pre-med requirement, right?

As for withdrawals, I withdrew from orgo I and it is on my transcript. I was told not to worry about it, and I have a good reason for withdrawing, should the medical schools ask. Plus, when I finally took it a year later I got an A-, so at least they know it's not because I couldn't hack it.

I would try to avoid having multiple withdrawals on your record, because it might suggest to schools that you give up when the going gets hard, and that is the exact opposite of what they are looking for in med school candidates. If you have good reasons for your withdrawals, you might want to write about it. Most schools seem to have space for additional comments.

That's my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Wow, that sounds like suicide to me, especially if it's not your strong suit. I never understood how people could take it during summer session. It's so much information to learn in such a short time.

But most schools specify that they want one full year of orgo. I'm not sure if they'd take one semester, even if it supposedly covered everything. You'd have to check on that.

yeah most schools just want a full year of ochem. regardless of what that one class entails. so why bother going through a potential hell when you can take it slow.

Damn - ochem is really hard. There are two downsides and no huge upside to taking "one-semester o-chem"
1. it will be very difficult
2. med schools might not like it

Also if you spread it out, it will still be fresher in your mind for the MCAT.