2 LORs versus 3 LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasurefull2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have 2 letters of rec in and just received my 3rd one, which I have NOT sent in yet...

I'm waiting for a 4th letter, which I prefer to my 3rd letter...

My question: most programs require 3 letters of recommendation to be considered complete (excluding MSPE)

Will programs not give me and interview invitation NOW because I don't have the 3rd LOR in?

Are some programs waiting for 3 letters to send invites?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I currently have 2 letters of rec in and just received my 3rd one, which I have NOT sent in yet...

I'm waiting for a 4th letter, which I prefer to my 3rd letter...

My question: most programs require 3 letters of recommendation to be considered complete (excluding MSPE)

Will programs not give me and interview invitation NOW because I don't have the 3rd LOR in?

Are some programs waiting for 3 letters to send invites?

Some programs will interview you without any letters in your file if the rest of the application meets their requirements.

Programs that want a full and complete application will not interview you without all required letters.

No way to tell except the history of others and asking the programs directly.

Some programs will interview you without any letters in your file if the rest of the application meets their requirements.

Programs that want a full and complete application will not interview you without all required letters.

No way to tell except the history of others and asking the programs directly.

So, point being, it's better to send out my 3rd letter ASAP...

Or, one can infer, competitive programs are more likely to wait for 3 letters to send interview invite...

Or, one can infer, competitive programs are more likely to wait for 3 letters to send interview invite...

One can infer nothing. It varies from program to program and for each applicant (ie, a less competitive applicant may wait for the letters).

But yes, it is better to send out your 3rd letter asap. If the 4th arrives on time, you can send it then.

I agree with WS above, but bear in mind that a LOT of competitive programs are not going to do anything until October, and some will even wait until the Dean's letters are out in November as well. From what I can tell, the "first movers" in this process are the less competitive programs, those that need to use the whole interview season to ensure that they fill their slots. So you are seeing a ton of IM, Peds, FM interviews being given out right now, but not nearly as many of the ROAD specialties (not none, but simply not as many).