2-day inerviews: 2 different suits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binka_777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been a lot of interview attire questions, but I didn't see the answer to this one. If the interview is a two day interview, do I need two different suits? On a related topic, I saw a recommendation to wear a suit to a post/pre interview dinner. I assume it should be a different one than the one you wore to the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

For males I would at the very least bring a different shirt, pair of pants, and tie that will work with your jacket. Females have it a little harder and will be best served bringing two different suits/outfits. As for the pre/post dinner I've been told to dress nicely but relatively informal... i.e. as a woman I will wear a nice pair of dress pants and a sweater or blouse.

For the interviews, wear the same suit with a clean shirt and a different tie the next day. The dress for the pre-interview dinner is usually casual (i.e. pair of khakis with a button-down shirt or with a sweater.)

Agreed - different shirt and tie if male, whole different outfit if female. Business casual for dinners.

I went to some pre-interview dinners for ophthalmology fellowships & everyone wore jackets & most of the guys wore ties. In fact at the first dinner, it said business casual so I didn't wear a tie & I was the only guy not wearing one. It was more evenly spread between tie & no tie at the others.

cytoborg said:
Agreed - different shirt and tie if male, whole different outfit if female. Business casual for dinners.

are you saying that females must buy a whole new suit completely?!?!?!? would it be bad if i just wore the same suit with a different shirt? and why can guys get away with wearing the same suit with a different shirt and tie?

I'm applying into neurology, and I have yet to see a jacket at the pre-interview dinners.

For two day interviews, it is easy for men. We all have dark suits, and there is no reason to pack two on a cross-country trip. For day one wear a blue shirt and (for example) a striped tie, for day two a white shirt and a pattern tie.

Bella78 said:
are you saying that females must buy a whole new suit completely?!?!?!? would it be bad if i just wore the same suit with a different shirt? and why can guys get away with wearing the same suit with a different shirt and tie?

Don't worry--I was on a 2-day interview recently and out of 4 females there, 2 wore exactly the same outfit, I wore the same suit with a different shirt and only one wore a different suit. It's totally okay to wear the same suit and a different shirt--if you want to change your look more, change your hairstyle and/or shoes between the days.

drgirl said:
-if you want to change your look more, change your ... shoes between the days.

*L* Who knows, maybe the interviewers are oblivious males like myself. You would have to wear snowshoes before I would pick up on the difference.

GopherBrain said:
*L* Who knows, maybe the interviewers are oblivious males like myself. You would have to wear snowshoes before I would pick up on the difference.

Amen. I didn't know people owned more than one suit. Who would want to go into a specialty where people wore a tie to the pre-interview dinner? I mean, who would want to go into a specialty where people wear ties at all?