This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklepuff97

Reaction score
About me: 2020 psychology graduate, starting formal post-bacc in September.

My questions:

1) Would you say that reviewing Khan Academy videos would be sufficient "prelearning"/prep for General Chem/Bio for someone who has not studied either subject since high school? (4 years ago) I was recommended especially to review chemistry by my program coordinator, and while I was good at it in high school, I definitely want to be sure I am as prepared as possible. If not, are there review courses you recommend?

2) I have the option to take a Calculus I course at a CC for the next 6 weeks. I haven't taken a math course as an undergrad except some statistics/quantitative research methods as part of my major. I worry I won't do well in it since I essentially have to do a crash course in precalculus concepts as well before the first exam on week 2. I just don't want to have to take a math course on top of my other prereqs during my post-bacc. I've read elsewhere that you can apply to med schools (those that require calculus or a year of math, etc.) without the math requirement completed at the time, and complete it prior to matirculation? Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

1) can't speak to this specifically but it's probably good.

2) Most medical schools don't require calculus. I definitely wouldn't take an accelerated course in calculus if you haven't had precalc. You risk making a bad grade and screwing your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
1. KA will definitely help as would working through some problems in a textbook as you go. Bio won't require much prep work in advance but it wouldn't hurt to get an idea about things you'll encounter.

2. As the above poster mentioned, many do not have a calculus specific requirement. But to your question, yes, when you apply to medical school you can list calculus as a course that you are planning to take, and then complete it in the spring should you be admitted. If you're rusty with math, I would not encourage you to take an accelerated 6 week course. Calculus can be challenging enough in 16 weeks let alone 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to avoid calculus, very few schools (if any) require it and I haven't found any use for it in medical school. KA was the one source I spent the most time with and I enjoyed it and thought it served me well for the mcat. I was in the ~510 range but I had very limited time to prepare and I only got through about 1/3rd of what KA had to offer.

1. I doubt you’ll even need that. I jumped in after nearly 20 years of being away. I drowned for a couple weeks then I was all good. The info was so far gone that I wouldn’t even know where to start for pre-review. It wouldn’t hurt, but you’ll be fine after the initial rough part.
2. I did my calc at a CC many many many years before I applied. I got a B+ I think. A rare occasional B isn’t as deadly as pre-meds think. You’ll be fine taking it now. You will need to be able to sling math and numbers in your head without any thought for the MCAT- no actual calc on the MCAT though, but a math class could help to get your gears turning.