2.9 cGPA/35Q should I go for an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I apply to SMP's to illustrate better academic performance and perhaps have a shot at MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't most SMPs require 3.0 to apply? Do you have any particular smp in mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, this is a special case with a crazy high MCAT. An SMP would be the fastest and most fundable GPA redemption plan.

Protect that MCAT score: pay attention to MCAT expiration policies at the med schools you're interested in. This should advise your choice of a program like EVMS where most SMP students start med school immediately, vs. Gtown where half of SMP students wait to apply until after completing the SMP.

Get your SMP apps done now.

Best of luck to you.

Should I apply to SMP's to illustrate better academic performance and perhaps have a shot at MD?

Is the cost worth it to you? Time and money? SMP's are expensive. Every dollar you borrow, you will have to pay three back. The additional year of schooling. The chance that if you do not perform well your options will be severely limited.

It is a tough decision. Best of luck.

Is the cost worth it to you? Time and money? SMP's are expensive. Every dollar you borrow, you will have to pay three back. The additional year of schooling. The chance that if you do not perform well your options will be severely limited.

It is a tough decision. Best of luck.

Funding isn't an issue. I'm just concerned that my grades will hold me back from getting in.

I'm at an SMP now at The Commonwealth Medical College - the MBS program. I am in a similar situation and while many SMPs will turn you away because of your GPA, some may consider you because of your MCAT. I was told at Cincinnati that had I applied earlier - they were going to overlook my poor GPA and considered my MCAT heavily. I applied just hoping their 3.0 minimum wasn't a hard and fast line - but in the end timing and the number of seats available matters. I was placed at the top of their waitlist and if you know anything about SMPs - Cincinnati is one with very little movement.

Be aware that your GPA will be a limiting factor at many MD schools. Your best shot is probably the school at which you attend an SMP. I know many ppl from my SMP from previous years fared extremely well and were waitlisted at TCMC for the year immediately following the SMP year. However, upon reapplying - 2 semesters of excellent work were looked upon extremely favorably. I am actually in that same position as I recently got a 4.0 in my fall semester. I interviewed at the school about 2 weeks ago and will find out in about a month whether I get in or not.

One major piece of advice and one that was given to me - if you have GPA issues, look carefully at yourself and what brought you to that GPA. Ignore life stuff - that stuff always seems to happen and more times than not you can't really change that. Look at your study habits and really make concerted efforts to change and improve your studying methods. A lot of kids in my SMP program thought that by spending 20+ hrs in the library for weeks at a time would guarantee you a 4.0. This is a false assumption. SMPs will work you hard, and you will put in a significant amount of time. Be prepared to work and more importantly work intelligently (use your time efficiently and get the most out of your study habits).

Sorry for the long reply - but to sum up - yes I do believe you can find an SMP that will admit you. Like Dr. MidLife said - make sure you get your apps in early. SMPs are becoming more and more popular with less people wanting to go off-shore. Finally, understand what the circumstances may be once you enroll (getting in this year versus waiting another).

You should, but make sure you can do well in undergrad-level classes before you jump into the rough stuff. I'd say at least a year of 3.5+, otherwise you have no precedent for knowing you can do well.

An year ago, I was in almost exactly the same situation you were in with regards to GPA (my MCAT was a couple of points lower). I did a informal post-bac year at my undergrad institution taking grad level courses and structured it as close to a med school curriculum as I could imagine. The main thing is to do well in this transition stage.

I reapplied for med school and SMP's this year, interviewed (and waiting) at 2 schools, and just got into GT SMP. Based on my experience, they probably overlook a <3.0 undergrad GPA is you show strong growth for a semester or two afterwards.

As for MD, it'll be difficult unless in addition to your 35, your grade progression was D's/F's in freshmen year to exclusively A's by junior and senior year (intermittent C's throughout all 4 years may not be helped by your MCATs).

Absolutely! An SMP is designed for low GPA, high MCAT applicants. I was a sub-3.0 GPA and got into BU's MAMS program. Just identify the mistakes you made in undergrad and how you're going to rectify them in your graduate program. Others are right, you want to make sure that you keep that great MCAT score valid.