DO 2.68 cgpa 2.0 sgpa Retake classes or do an SMP program? DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj1445

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an undergrad with an overall gap of 2.68 and science gpa of 2.0. I have 37 credits worth of science pre req left (orgo, biochem, cell bio, micro, molecular bio, etc) to complete the bachelors in biology. In the beginning of college I struggled and did not seek help, and that is evident in my poor gpa. Now I have developed stronger studying skills and am more motivated, so my gpa has shown an upward trend.
I am interested in applying to DO schools in the future, but my gpa is too low. Do you recommend that I retake the science classes that I got C's and D's in for grade replacement, apply for an SMP program after I graduate to boost my gpa, or apply for a masters program?

Here are my stats:
gpa: 2.68 sgpa: 2.0
Physician Shadowing: 200 hours
Clinical volunteering: 300 hours
Have not taken MCAT yet.
No research experience... Yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake courses. Don't do an SMP for DO

Reactions: 1 users
Finish your remaining credits with A's and retake enough classes to get both GPAs over 3.0 and you should be fine if you apply broadly. You have enough left in front of you to where an SMP is likely not needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would try to see where I stand I the MCAT first. It'd be a shame to waste all of that time and money retaking classes just to bomb the MCAT. The MCAT keeps out tons of folks who did well in their classes the first time around.

Retake the pre-reqs for the MCAT if you think you don't understand the material though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I would try to see where I stand I the MCAT first. It'd be a shame to waste all of that time and money retaking classes just to bomb the MCAT. The MCAT keeps out tons of folks who did well in their classes the first time around.

Retake the pre-reqs for the MCAT if you think you don't understand the material though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you so much to everyone for replying. I think I'm gonna retake gen Chem and gen bio not only to get better grades but so I can have a better understanding of the subject for the MCAT.

Do you think you have the ability for med school? those GPAs are really low. Why did you struggle? Was it mental health or was the material too hard and by help you mean tutors. You've still got so much more to go before you're even ready to think about apply. I would retake them so that you have a better footing to do well in your upcoming classes such as cell, micro, molec, etc. if by the time you get to the end and are still with rather poor grades. Talking nothing below Bs then I would seriously thinking about what your capabilities are. Getting in is just the tip of the iceberg

Do you think you have the ability for med school? those GPAs are really low. Why did you struggle? Was it mental health or was the material too hard and by help you mean tutors. You've still got so much more to go before you're even ready to think about apply. I would retake them so that you have a better footing to do well in your upcoming classes such as cell, micro, molec, etc. if by the time you get to the end and are still with rather poor grades. Talking nothing below Bs then I would seriously thinking about what your capabilities are. Getting in is just the tip of the iceberg
I just did not know how to study well or have time management. Now I have a better grip on that.

I just did not know how to study well or have time management. Now I have a better grip on that.

well then continue on. get to the end of the pre-reqs then make the decision. You are so far out to even be thinking about retakes or an SMP.

well then continue on. get to the end of the pre-reqs then make the decision. You are so far out to even be thinking about retakes or an SMP.
I did some math:
If I retook the classes I did poorly in and got A's, my science gpa would be a 3.0
I am not discouraged by my horrible gpa; it makes me more motivated to do so much better and not make the same mistakes I made as a freshman.

Retake classes and get that GPA up. You need to avoid GPA filters first. A DO SMP won't do you nearly as good as retakes.

Retake classes and get that GPA up. You need to avoid GPA filters first. A DO SMP won't do you nearly as good as retakes.
Thank you for replying and for the advice.

If I am being honest, then I would say to not even thing about applying until your sGPA is >3.3 and your cGPA >3.4. Undergraduate classes are a cake walk compared to medical school. Studying in undergrad isn't even required to make A's a lot of times, especially in the classes you have taken thus far. The material is easy enough that a simple over night memorization would be sufficient more times than not. I am not saying that's the correct way to do things, but I am just trying to put my reply into perspective in regards to what you said about not knowing how to study and all of that. Medical schools need to see results, not excuses. So doing well from here on out is a must to succeed in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
My .02 is to leave the C's behind you. If you are able retake the D's or lower without slowing down your projected graduation date, do it. Otherwise, revisit your methods of study and lifestyle and make it your priority from now on. Straight A's from now on in upper levels will show them you can handle the material.

If this is really what you want to do in life, don't let anyone tell you that you're not capable and proceed to prove them wrong. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile

From what I have been reading, I don't think retakes are an option anymore for DO schools.

Strongly recommend retaking the Ds. How many Cs? What I worry about is you being on a poor foundation for MCAT or any further science coursework if you don't learn how to learn. Suggest reading DrMidlife's posts on reinvention. Basically, start out slow to see if you can really do this.

Hello,

I am an undergrad with an overall gap of 2.68 and science gpa of 2.0. I have 37 credits worth of science pre req left (orgo, biochem, cell bio, micro, genetics, molecular bio, etc) to complete the bachelors in biology. In the beginning of college I struggled and did not seek help, and that is evident in my poor gpa. Now I have developed stronger studying skills and am more motivated, so my gpa has shown an upward trend.
I am interested in applying to DO schools in the future, but my gpa is too low. Do you recommend that I retake the science classes that I got C's and D's in for grade replacement, apply for an SMP program after I graduate to boost my gpa, or apply for a masters program?

Here are my stats:
gpa: 2.68 sgpa: 2.0
Physician Shadowing: 200 hours
Clinical volunteering: 300 hours
Have not taken MCAT yet.
No research experience... Yet.