2.6 cumgpa w/ F's and D's on transcript... should i even try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sssshinneed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

so im currently trying to decide if its even worth applying this year or at all for Pharmacy School at NEOMED in ohio. im a junior at a partner school of NEOMED's. i have held leadership roles 2+ years include prepharm club. i volunteer monthly in the community gonna start in the hospital soon. have 40hrs of shadowing. LOR from biochem professor as well as pharmacy manager where i have been working 2+ as a certified tech. heres where i get the "ehhh's" from. my first 2.5 years in college i didn't focus on my gpa and it fluctuated. i got a D twice in a class before passing it with a C, and an F in one critical class for pharm school (which i plan to retake). however started improving by getting B+ in biochem 400 level. what do y'all think are my chances applying first priority to NEOMED and actually being considered?

Members don't see this ad.

You might get in depending on the schools you apply to and their minimum gpa requirements. But think about it this way, will you be able to handle the rigors of pharmacy school considering your undergrad performance is subpar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all,

so im currently trying to decide if its even worth applying this year or at all for Pharmacy School at NEOMED in ohio. im a junior at a partner school of NEOMED's. i have held leadership roles 2+ years include prepharm club. i volunteer monthly in the community gonna start in the hospital soon. have 40hrs of shadowing. LOR from biochem professor as well as pharmacy manager where i have been working 2+ as a certified tech. heres where i get the "ehhh's" from. my first 2.5 years in college i didn't focus on my gpa and it fluctuated. i got a D twice in a class before passing it with a C, and an F in one critical class for pharm school (which i plan to retake). however started improving by getting B+ in biochem 400 level. what do y'all think are my chances applying first priority to NEOMED and actually being considered?

If schools need seats to fill you may get a slot. You shouldn’t be considered....but you might.

If by some chance you do get in, you will fail at the pace you have demonstrated:17+ credit hours of nothing but science / calculations. No second chances for a retake. The standards to get in have been lowered, but that doesn’t mean the academic rigors of pharmacy are easy...just think to yourself if another semester of upper level science courses will ease your transition....don’t rush..... the schools aren’t going anywhere and saturation has already been anchored. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to previous comments, I think to have a chance, you'd also need to explain well in your application essays why you did poorly, and how you plan to avoid such a pitfall in pharmacy school - what would you do differently, how you would avoid previous mistakes, what did you learn from those previous mistakes?

As others have said, you could get in but that is the easiest part since schools are desperate to fill their seats for that sweet tuition money. Graduating, passing the NAPLEX and MPJE, and landing a job in this saturated market are the hard parts.

Hey y'all,

Shoot me a PM. I think I have an answer that will give you a reason to be encouraged.

Hey y'all,

So let's get it straight, you failed a class, not once but twice (with a D) and squeezed through that class with a C.. and you failed a critical class for pharmacy school with an F..

I would say, if you are truly focused on going to pharmacy school - retake the classes and bust your butt to get an A in them.. be prepared to speak about your bad grades - trust me, they will certainly ask you about them.. If you can show them (with your grades) that you have changed and are ready for the challenge of Pharmacy School then you may have a chance at it..

Reactions: 1 user
You also need to ask yourself if you will be happy working retail after graduation. If the answer is no, then you definitely should not apply.

Hey y'all,

Why do you want to be a Pharmacist? What do you think the job market will look like when you graduate? What hours do you want to work? Where do you want to live? All important questions to think about before pharmacy school. If I had to do it over I would never go to pharmacy school. I would have studied computer science. Regular hours, career choices and a less crowded field. What about becoming a health care analyst? You already have healthcare experience.

GPA is like 90% of your resume for any profession as a young adult so drop all of the extra stuff and do nothing but school. This would be a good time to take a look at the classes that you were strong in and and see what skills it took to be strong in them. Then research career and education paths that are a great fit for the skills you are strong in that pay well. The cool thing about undergrad is that you don't have to finish in 4 years where as professional school you have to finish in a set amount of time. You may find you can take 12 hours, keep a super high gpa, and have a fantastic career in a white collar field of your choice.

Hey y'all,

NEOMED came off as a cheap school. I interviewed there and was accepted. Everything is brand new. The interviews are upstairs. This school's price is obscene at $35,948 for out of state. Cheaper for instate. THe location is terrible in the middle of nowhere. You will 100% get into this school. The bigger issue you should be asking is will you have a job afterward, and the answer to that is maybe.