2.1 GPA - Business Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmalbert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated with 2.046 GPA. Won't even pretend like it wasn't my fault, I was unfocused and didn't take school seriously at all. There were circumstances that played into that (being displaced by Hurricane Katrina, family problems, not knowing what I wanted to do, etc.)

I'm 31, I initially graduated HS with a 4.0 GPA and applied to college as a pre-med and got accepted into pretty much every school I applied to. Right before I started I decided I wanted to change my major to something I was better at (computer science). Well lack of focus, etc caused me to end up getting scholastically dropped and having to beg my school to let me in. My the time I got back in I was a junior on limited probation with a 0.45 GPA.

I changed my major to business as it was a bit easier considering my situation (having to take remote classes because of being displaced by Katrina). I managed to get my GPA up to a 2.04 and graduate.

I do have what I believe to be somewhat helpful EC in that for the past 18 months I've worked at a Non-Profit Consulting firm. However after realizing that's not what I want to the rest of my life, I've decided I want to pursue my initial dream and become a pediatrician. That being said because I was a business major I don't have that many science courses under my belt. My sGPA is around 1.2 (most of that due to me f-ing up when I was an underclassmen).

I plan on taking the pre-reqs and knocking the MCAT out of the park (so far I'm pulling 33-38s on the practice tests) as I've been studying for it for the past year. Any recommendations on whether I should do GPA replacement and go the DO route or should I look at a post bacc? Or should I just give up the dream all together? I should also add I'm 31, w/ a wife and 3 year old and I'm an URM.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get a 3.0 to avoid auto-screen out + strong sGPA + strong MCAT, you might have a chance at some MD schools.

With grade replacements, you can get a 3.0+ easy for DO schools.

However, as it stands, that 2.0 sinks your application for either DO or MD.

Honestly, look for another career if you can see yourself doing something else. The mountain is too steep at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if OP did major grade dose of replacement + additional upper level science classes (w/ A's)?
If we put that stipulation, sure. "Nothing" is "impossible," but is it wise to do? The OP just wasted his time and MCAT passages studying for nothing because getting to that 3.0 will probably take him/her 3 years, which is time for the MCAT to expire.

If we put that stipulation, sure. "Nothing" is "impossible," but is it wise to do? The OP just wasted his time and MCAT passages studying for nothing because getting to that 3.0 will probably take him/her 3 years, which is time for the MCAT to expire.
Ok, that's what I was thinking too. OP - until you decide whether or not to spend the time (a la years) doing GPA repair coursework and actually get down partially down that path, there is no point in taking the MCAT.

Graduated with 2.046 GPA. Won't even pretend like it wasn't my fault, I was unfocused and didn't take school seriously at all. There were circumstances that played into that (being displaced by Hurricane Katrina, family problems, not knowing what I wanted to do, etc.)

I'm 31, I initially graduated HS with a 4.0 GPA and applied to college as a pre-med and got accepted into pretty much every school I applied to. Right before I started I decided I wanted to change my major to something I was better at (computer science). Well lack of focus, etc caused me to end up getting scholastically dropped and having to beg my school to let me in. My the time I got back in I was a junior on limited probation with a 0.45 GPA.

I changed my major to business as it was a bit easier considering my situation (having to take remote classes because of being displaced by Katrina). I managed to get my GPA up to a 2.04 and graduate.

I do have what I believe to be somewhat helpful EC in that for the past 18 months I've worked at a Non-Profit Consulting firm. However after realizing that's not what I want to the rest of my life, I've decided I want to pursue my initial dream and become a pediatrician. That being said because I was a business major I don't have that many science courses under my belt. My sGPA is around 1.2 (most of that due to me f-ing up when I was an underclassmen).

I plan on taking the pre-reqs and knocking the MCAT out of the park (so far I'm pulling 33-38s on the practice tests) as I've been studying for it for the past year. Any recommendations on whether I should do GPA replacement and go the DO route or should I look at a post bacc? Or should I just give up the dream all together? I should also add I'm 31, w/ a wife and 3 year old and I'm an URM.

Honestly, OP, I'd suggest considering another career. You're looking at a very long road to recovery from that GPA (think at least 1-2 times the amount of time it took you to get it that low to bring it back to something remotely respectable). I would also suggest not "planning" to knock the MCAT out of the park. I mean, sure, work toward it, but don't go into this thinking it's likely. (I was pulling consistent 36-40 on my AAMC and Kaplan practice tests and ended up with a 32....)

This all said, if you're willing to put in a good 3-5 years of GPA repair and another year for the MCAT and getting your ECs in line plus an additional year for the application process, then by all means -- go for it! Just keep in mind that when all is said and done you'll probably be at least 36 before you enter medical school, making you mid-40s by the time you're ready to practice medicine. That means you'll likely be wanting to retire (mid-60s) by the time you finish off paying your student loans. It's a lot to think about, but good luck!

I thought about that, I haven't been studying night and day for it, just mostly reading on the weekends and in my downtime at work (which I have a lot of).

I do realize that it's going to take 3-4 years to get my GPA to the point where my app won't just get tossed in the trash can. I figure if I study for the MCAT (moderately) while taking classes when I'm ready to take it I'll be much more prepared......that is of course assuming the structure or curriculum doesn't dramatically change cause then I'm screwed.

Thanks for the insight guys

Retiring in the sixties isn't a big deal anymore, IMO...

That's how I look at it. I'm sure by the time I'm ready I'll be possibly in my 40s. For me that's not a big deal if I'm doing what I want and I'm happy.

If you are willing to put the time (2-4 yrs. IMO) into resurrecting your GPA and at the same time scoring well on the MCAT, your hard work will show in an application and they will take notice. If this is truly your dream and you are willing to work for it, then go for it. Now from a numbers standpoint I would say you need to bring that GPA up to at least a 3.0 and knock the MCAT out of the park with a 32+. Also take note that the MCAT is about to get much much more difficult and lengthy in 2015.

Good luck though, I am pulling for you; don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it! Hard work and determination go a long way!

If you are willing to put the time (2-4 yrs. IMO) into resurrecting your GPA and at the same time scoring well on the MCAT, your hard work will show in an application and they will take notice. If this is truly your dream and you are willing to work for it, then go for it. Now from a numbers standpoint I would say you need to bring that GPA up to at least a 3.0 and knock the MCAT out of the park with a 32+. Also take note that the MCAT is about to get much much more difficult and lengthy in 2015.

Good luck though, I am pulling for you; don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it! Hard work and determination go a long way!

Thanks!!!!!!

This come to my mind as well just now. OP, you'll be taking a 7-hr long version of the MCAT that will require quite a bit more depth of knowledge. You're going to need more than the old prereqs -- you need to add psych and upper-level bio coursework to the mix now as well as fix up your GPA. You'll basically have to retake a good half or more of your degree (same classes) to get yourself into the mid-3s GPA-wise plus take a good 3 years of science classes (the gen chem-ochem-biochem sequence is a 3-yr/6-semester sequence....)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get your GPA up to above a 3.0 and score in the high 30s on the MCAT as your practice scores indicate, as a URM you probably have a chance at a few MD schools and most DO schools. This will probably require at least two years of straight A coursework.

I thought about that, I haven't been studying night and day for it, just mostly reading on the weekends and in my downtime at work (which I have a lot of).

I do realize that it's going to take 3-4 years to get my GPA to the point where my app won't just get tossed in the trash can. I figure if I study for the MCAT (moderately) while taking classes when I'm ready to take it I'll be much more prepared......that is of course assuming the structure or curriculum doesn't dramatically change cause then I'm screwed.

Bad news...

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/

Looks like others already mentioned it, but here's a link to explore the changes for yourself.

I forgot to mention but I'm a black male also.

Does that change anything?

That just makes you a d-bag for thinking you can get in on race alone. Yes, you still need to be qualified even as a URM. Honestly, as someone who could claim URM status but didn't, that's a bit insulting that you would insinuate your race should get you in with such poor qualifications.

That just makes you a d-bag for thinking you can get in on race alone. Yes, you still need to be qualified even as a URM. Honestly, as someone who could claim URM status but didn't, that's a bit insulting that you would insinuate your race should get you in with such poor qualifications.
As a URM too, I can understand your anger. It's already bad enough we have to deal with the bs of being too stupid or lazy to accomplish things to have someone be so blatant about trying to use race as means of getting in. What the OP fails to understand here is that he doesn't have the minimum academic horsepower to make it through medical school. It would be a waste for him to even enter. This may be a stretch, but I'm wondering what his real motivations to go into medicine are. Nothing here indicates a reason for wanting this profession.

My question wasn't to suggest that being black means I don't have to work harder. My question was related to the fact that there are programs that specialize in admitting URMs and I was wondering if my situation would qualify for one.

I intend to work very hard make no mistake and I'm not using race as an excuse or crutch at all, also I didn't realize that I had put that I was an URM in my OP, so my apologies if I confused you.

As a URM too, I can understand your anger. It's already bad enough we have to deal with the bs of being too stupid or lazy to accomplish things to have someone be so blatant about trying to use race as means of getting in. What the OP fails to understand here is that he doesn't have the minimum academic horsepower to make it through medical school. It would be a waste for him to even enter. This may be a stretch, but I'm wondering what his real motivations to go into medicine are. Nothing here indicates a reason for wanting this profession.

Once again my intention wasn't to suggest that I should have an easier path or that I shouldn't have to work so hard, I guess I horribly misworded my question. I didn't realize I had indicated in my original post that I am an URM, and I was wondered if that qualification made my situation any different, that's it.

I realize that I'll have a steep mountain to climb, and trust me I don't want any special treatment.

Again I didn't mean to offend anyone and for that I apologize, I was merely asking if a program that specializes in URMs would afford me a better opportunity, that's it.

More and more SMPs designed for URM/disadvanted studetns with guaranteed linkage are slowly coming out. Look into those. I think theres two for DO, and a handful for MD? I know NYCOM has one. Youd still need to improve your gpa and get a good mcat score though first.

It sounds like you're already committed. Why not go for it?

I was also thinking that if you go back to school, since most places won't take grades that are 10 years old or older, if you think about your timeline and work out some technicalities you may be able to get away with not having to basically redo your degree. Perhaps you can focus on the Pre Req's and make sure your grades are solid for those.

That's how I look at it. I'm sure by the time I'm ready I'll be possibly in my 40s. For me that's not a big deal if I'm doing what I want and I'm happy.

You might want to consider the happiness of your wife and child. Medicine requires alot in terms of time, energy, and money. As a father, it is your responsibility to provide for a family.

Who is going to pay the bills while you take courses to bring up your GPA? If you take courses part time, then it will take you YEARS to improve. If you go full time, not only are you not making money,but you are being a drain on your family financially.

In all you would forgo at least 6 years of salary and accrue approximately 150K of debt or more. In total, chasing medicine as a career will cost your family over 450K (assuming you make 50K a year).

That is ALOT to ask of your wife. Look up the example of PandaBear to see how a career change to medicine can ruin your family.

In my opinion (which you can honestly take with a grain of salt because I am just a 21 year old pre-med with very little "real-world" experience), life is NOT about chasing your dreams. Life is about looking at the reality of your situation and pursuing what displeases you the least.

It would be irresponsible of you to pursue medicine.

Originally Posted by bmalbert
I forgot to mention but I'm a black male also.

Does that change anything?

Yeah. It makes you pathetic.

Once again my intention wasn't to suggest that I should have an easier path or that I shouldn't have to work so hard, I guess I horribly misworded my question. I didn't realize I had indicated in my original post that I am an URM, and I was wondered if that qualification made my situation any different, that's it.

I realize that I'll have a steep mountain to climb, and trust me I don't want any special treatment.

Again I didn't mean to offend anyone and for that I apologize, I was merely asking if a program that specializes in URMs would afford me a better opportunity, that's it.
No problem. I'm sorry too for jumping to judgment.

chillax people. Honestly if I was black id play it up hard like most others do. I don't blame them. I don't necessarily agree with URM status but i dont blame anyone for taking advantage of it. Not taking advantage of it would be stupid.

You might want to consider the happiness of your wife and child. Medicine requires alot in terms of time, energy, and money. As a father, it is your responsibility to provide for a family.

Who is going to pay the bills while you take courses to bring up your GPA? If you take courses part time, then it will take you YEARS to improve. If you go full time, not only are you not making money,but you are being a drain on your family financially.

In all you would forgo at least 6 years of salary and accrue approximately 150K of debt or more. In total, chasing medicine as a career will cost your family over 450K (assuming you make 50K a year).

That is ALOT to ask of your wife. Look up the example of PandaBear to see how a career change to medicine can ruin your family.

In my opinion (which you can honestly take with a grain of salt because I am just a 21 year old pre-med with very little "real-world" experience), life is NOT about chasing your dreams. Life is about looking at the reality of your situation and pursuing what displeases you the least.

Thanks for the insight. Make no mistake my family's happiness is my number one priority in everything I do. My wife is the one that is really gung ho about me going to school anyway.

Finances are a major factor as well as time. My wife is in a position to be a professor of interior design in a few years so she could potentially float us during that time. Because it could he a seven year commitment owe are talking about it in detail.

I would definitely have to go full time to rebuild my gpa so that's also a major issue. If I could find a 4 year university with a distance learning program in Bio that would help a lot otherwise I'd have to wait tables while in school.

No problem. I'm sorry too for jumping to judgment.

Rereading my post your and the other gentlemen's reactions were understandable. I didn't clarify myself very well. I've had the same reactions in the past in different situations.

No biggie

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this made me laugh.

I'm guessing you are from Louisiana, but Texas academic fresh start would have been a great option in your case if you were a Texas resident willing to completely start over.