1st Year Irish IMG Want to Become a Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dredge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I know there are a lot of threads about IMGs and those that are applying for surgery and they have been very enlightening, and also, maybe a little depressing lol. My question though, is a little different. I'm a first year med student in Ireland going to graduate in 4 years. I was wondering how do I start building a CV that I can be relatively confident that will get me matched when I graduate, somewhere in North America. I'm a Canadian but obviously, I couldn't care less where I go, I just want to get hired.
So here are my questions..
1) Grades: Can anyone please tell me once and for all how worried should I be about my class grades/rank? I've heard contradicting arguments from just about everyone I've asked.
2) USMLEs, MCCEEs: As my first question probably hinted at, I don't get the best grades so it would be a little foolish to expect that I'm going to get 250+ on my USMLEs. Can I get 240+ and still have a decent chance?
3) Research: I have a case report I'm currently writing and trying to nail down some research this summer. How much does research help? How much worse are case reports compared to original research?
4) Electives: So I understand that there's no point in applying to MGH, and Columbia etc. but how far down the list should I go to get an elective somewhere in the states? This probably sounds like a dumb question but please see below lol.
4) b. I understand that I should really try to get an elective and an LOR at the institution I plan on applying for a residency at, but, would it help to try and get an elective at a slightly more prestigious institution (if I can get one) so that I can show it off to the numerous other places I plan on applying to come Match time?
Once again, Thanks so much everybody for your opinions so far and any advice you guys might have, would do me a world of good.
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.