1st year equipment order

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got (the first) of the equipment orders for 1st year students at SUNY. $1K! :eek:

The big ticket items on this list are the trial lens set ($615 for a "full range, full diameter" set) and a Luneau Retinoscopy Lens Rack ($119). Are these decent prices? I think the school gets a pretty good price since they order in bulk for the whole class, but I have no idea what these things should cost. Did anyone go the second-hand route or look on eBay?

Members don't see this ad.

My first year equipment order was 1900 ... so that's probably about right. My lens kit of 850, we didn't have to order Ret lenses (when we go on vision screenings they provide them for us) but overall I've dropped about 5,000 on equipment over the last two years.

The first order was lens kit, prisms, occluder, pirate patch, parrot stick, stuff like that. (the basics) We ordered the ret/ophthalmoscope combo half way through first semester (they wanted use to play with them first and find out what we liked) and then the BIO came second semester.

It's all part of the turf.. but at least out profession has cool things to play with. I love gadgets. ;) :cool:

cpw -- I'm all about the gadgets, too. ;) So did you buy your trial lens set directly from UHCO? I was just looking on eBay last night, and there are brand new sets going for $300-$400 (instead of the $600 I'd pay through school). I don't know enough about what to look for -- quality, set contents, etc. -- so I'll probably go with the school set. I can't wait to order the ret/ophthalmoscope, that is going to be cool. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I would recommend getting a Panoptic for your practicals, but you probably don't have to worry about that until 2nd year.

Back to Pharm!

Originally posted by r_salis
cpw -- I'm all about the gadgets, too. ;) So did you buy your trial lens set directly from UHCO? I was just looking on eBay last night, and there are brand new sets going for $300-$400 (instead of the $600 I'd pay through school). I don't know enough about what to look for -- quality, set contents, etc. -- so I'll probably go with the school set. I can't wait to order the ret/ophthalmoscope, that is going to be cool. :cool:

I did order directly from UHCO because they were getting good group rate pricing. That and I never really trusted the quality of equipment I could find on Ebay for things like that. If you want a good deal (at least at my school) you can buy equipment from graduating fourth years or students who quit the program. They always want to get rid of stuff quickly and cheaply and it's the same stuff you have to buy for yourself.

Good Luck R_Salis.. you're on your way! :clap:

Hello Everyone!!!

I graduated on Saturday and the gift from my dad was a Keeler ret and ophthalmoscope. He said they are the ones he always wanted, but was too cheap to buy for himself. They seem to work really well. But really, I don't know what to look for in them, he seem to like it so I will take his word for it.

Do the schools usually want their students to have the same equipment, or do they not care? I would hate to have to buy new stuff.

From the above post, it sounds like they don't care. Let me know.

Originally posted by rpames
Do the schools usually want their students to have the same equipment, or do they not care? I would hate to have to buy new stuff.
Yes, you'll need to buy all new equipment. So I guess you should just send me your new Keeler ret and ophthalmoscope since you won't be using it.

Hehehehehehe. Just kidding, rpames. :D

Congratulations on graduating!!!!! :clap:

re the trial lens sets, sometimes the sets on ebay include the trial frames, which is a great deal. If I could do it over, I would buy mine off ebay. It would save about 400! The one we have at UH is like the 267 piece with stainless steel holders (not the red/black ones), grey lined black leather case, someone is selling.

I think I'm going to see if I can save some money by buying my own trial lens set -- $400 is a lot of money!

I'm going to ask the school for the specs of the set they are selling. Can you guys help me ask the right questions? So far, I'll ask:

-- number of pieces
-- frame type (stainless steel, plastic, etc.)

Okay... that's all I've got. Help... :confused: