1st Year Desperately Needs Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what worked for me was always:
1. pre lecture video
2. going to lecture + taking notes
3. combining lecture notes + video
4. completing any missing info from the text book (often ended up being not necessary).
5. study the material until i could recall all the important information in my own words without looking at my notes.
reviewing this in time intervals that correspond to a typical spaced repetition algorithm (same day, next day, end of week, end of month...if you get it wrong and or cannot recall, the topic moves back to the initial interval--same day. It's only when you can recall it that it moves to the next interval).
6. if possible get exams or questions from upper classman that were used in previous years. get a sense of how your prof formulates his/her Qs and what to focus on. Also, it is great review.

This is time consuming but it really stuck. The videos I used were from lecturio, which were tremendously helpful. Ocasionally I also used najeeb which was also good. Use whatever works for you.

main points. use an active way of studying (simply reading -- no good). Concentrate on understanding the topic instead of specific detail unless mentioned by the lecturer. review is necessary (best if you employ a method which requires active recall for your review)!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the previous poster about understanding the materials. It helps you retain so much better. Maybe true for physiology.
For anatomy, repetition is the key. It's raw memorization so you just have to keep grinding at it.