1st pharmacy tech job....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hondarize

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, im currently working for cvs as my 1st pharmacy tech job, its been 3 weeks and i get stress out everyday, i don't know much about the computer system and the insurance problems yet. CAN ANYONE SHARE THEIR 1ST EXPERIENCE AS THEIR 1ST JOB AS A PHARMACY TECH. AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE THEM TO LEARN EVERYTHING???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, im currently working for cvs as my 1st pharmacy tech job, its been 3 weeks and i get stress out everyday, i don't know much about the computer system and the insurance problems yet. CAN ANYONE SHARE THEIR 1ST EXPERIENCE AS THEIR 1ST JOB AS A PHARMACY TECH. AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE THEM TO LEARN EVERYTHING???

Every employee is entitled to 32 hours of training. These hours are not charged to the store. Some of them will be used for CBT (CD's). Please ask your pharmacist to call your tech trainer and set up an appointment.

The first few weeks working at CVS is definitely tough. It took me a few months to really get comfortable with the rejections, how to explain to pts. about certain situations, navigate the computer system. Of course its frustrating at first but everything takes time - just try to learn it as you go. Ask questions, ask the techs/pharmacist to explain / SHOW you how to do things - especially when its not busy. You can even opt to work on the weekends when its slower to learn things - I was working saturdays to practice inputing. But in the end, just try to remember things as you go and eventually you'll remember all Qs... most condor codes etc.

Like Old timer said, try to squeeze some training times - it really helped me since my store is really busy M-F.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ideal situation would be if you could sit down with the pharmacist, and they could show you the most common scenarios you encounter, and what you do in the situation - all the while, you'd be writing stuff down during their explanation. However, retail pharmacy is too understaffed for the pharmacist to do this every time. I always encourage new techs to ALWAYS make a small notebook where they can separate things into a few basic categories: insurance information, sigs, DUR overrides, and other information that you might forget. The most annoying thing is when techs consistently forget things they have been shown numerous times because they don't make an effort to retain the information - this is where the small notebook will be your best friend because you can always refer to it. Retail pharmacy is a very tough gig to get in, so it will take a long time to really feel "comfortable" in the pharmacy. I would say, it would take about 1 year of full time work in the pharmacy to feel comfortable enough that you'd be able to do everything. Lastly, the most important thing is to NEVER MAKE ASSUMPTIONS in retail pharmacy. Always see things through to the end and be meticulous even if it seems like certain things are extremely repetitive. Keep in mind that there is a clear distinction between things that a technician can do, and things that a pharmacist can do. Hopefully your manager has already made these things clear to you - always ask if you feel uncomfortable doing something because it's much easier to correct a mistake early in the process instead of going back and fixing it later.

My first job was at the hospital. It was very frustrating because one of the people who trained me was a psycho. Her theory was to put people on the spot and they will learn it themselves. She "trained" me on "desk", which means I take phone call from nurses and supposedly fix the problems and on top of gazillion other things all by myself. Pharmacists don't like and rarely ever take phone calls from nurses. Every time that damn phone rang, my heart just skipped a beat..lol..I knew nothing about drugs and most of the time, I wasn't even able to repeat back what the nurses just said to me to the pharmacists. They had all these drugs compatibility questions. They seemed so hard back then cause I knew nothing about them. It helps to at least be able to pronounce the drugs. I think it's dangerous and frustrating to just throw the techs in there and let them deal with things by themselves. I'd rather them train me without paying me, then just put me on the job like that.

I also wrote down the drugs as I made them (IVs) with brand names and generic names. Because sometimes they use brand, sometimes they use generics. It's like learning 2 foreign languages at once. I remember going to rxlist.com before I knew about drugs.com to look up the drugs and stuff. The job eventually got better, but I just wish they had a better system of training new techs.

Ask lots of questions, and then make sure you do whatever helps you to retain the information. You will drive the established staff crazy if you continually ask the same things over and over. As another poster pointed out, try your best to see any particular problem all the way through. Even if you have to get somebody else involved, try to watch/listen to what is going on so you can learn from the encounter. Carry a brand/generic book with you - I know CVS doesn't shelve their stock by brand anymore, but there are still many times everyday that you need to know if a drug has a generic available, if a particular drug name is a generic, etc. Once you've learned some of that, then start trying to learn generally what each drug is used for. That way, when Mrs. Smith calls up and asks you to fill her thyroid medication, you'll know which one it is. Another thing I did in the first year or so was to get a general drug information handbook, and then everytime I counted a drug at work that I hadn't heard of before, I would go home and spend 5 minutes looking it up and seeing what it was used for.

If you keep at these things and are working a reasonable amount of hours every week, in 6 months you should be feeling a lot better about work! good luck

the first few months of working retail pharmacy will make or break you especially when you are in a busy store

it's a filtering process...i've seen a lot of people quit in a few weeks cause of the stress

I know CVS doesn't shelve their stock by brand anymore

o_O My store still does the slow movers by brand, and that is most of what we have in stock. However, we also have serious organization issues. The shelves are SO unkempt!

But OP, I felt the same way in my first month or so. You'll also find yourself being relegated to register/drive thru a good chunk of the time. I'm so glad I know how to do pretty much everything besides what the pharmacist does of course; this means I'm not usually counted on to jump to the register as soon as a customer walks up and stares at me demandingly while I'm clearly busy with 50 scripts to input. :rolleyes:
I had to do a lot of CD training, but that really didn't help, imo. It was what I learned as I went along that helped me most. Explaining things to customers that you don't know much about, like the rejections mentioned earlier, is probably the toughest for a beginner. Especially if you're working with a pharmacist who doesn't like talking to patients. :confused:
I remember two older people (one ex computer engineer, how sad) who ended up quitting within a month because of the stress. I don't know, the whole stress part never got to me, even after a year and a half. I must just have tough skin, but it does seem to bug most people when it gets super busy. You just have to learn to not tighten up so much if you're anticipating a problem. I hope this helped sorta, in terms of how to just keep a chill attitude. Some things aren't worth getting worked up over.

You can do it.

I was a complete mess for my first few weeks in pharmacy. I was so overwhelmed by all of the new procedures and protocalls. Even "just filling" I was a bonehead, once I sent a fully labeled bottle down to the pharmacist...empty...the pills were still in my counting tray. I wasnt very good at any of the other stations either. I was most terrified of answering phones. I thought I was hopeless.

Here is my advice: answer every phone call you can. The easy routine calls will help acquaint you with the system. And the ones with hard questions, you can effectively pause the conversation...put them on hold..find out the answer and help them through it yourself.

I have about 2 years experience now, and I welcome new challenges(im usually bored at the slow store i work at). As long as you have a genuine desire to learn, you will pick it up.

You can do it.

You can never learn EVERYTHING...pharmacy is learning in progress.

Man that was cheesy, even for me.