187 step 1 score can i get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rossuniversity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello i am from the caribbean school ross and i got a 187...should i even think about gettin in pm&r?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

rossuniversity said:
hello i am from the caribbean school ross and i got a 187...should i even think about gettin in pm&r?

thanks

An M.D. and a D.O. with that score would have an hard time matching PMR let alone a Ross graduate.

Depends on how serious you are about PM&R, how the rest of your application package looks. That's not a good score - but I have heard of people matching with those scores - so it's not impossible but you're going to have to cast your net WIDE and work hard to match. I think it's time to do a soul searching - how seriously do you want to do PM&R? What about PM&R do you like? Are there other specialties that could allow you to do those things? (i.e. sports medicine with family med, etc.)

Talk to your advisor, ask previous graduates from Ross, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about that.

I personally have a good friend that is a DO and got below the COMLEX Step 1 average.

He then took and FAILED USMLE Step 1, and didn't bother retaking it.

Now he's attending BAYLOR PM&R.

...at least you passed it!

The problem is PM&R is getting more competitive and what may have once been an OK score is no longer fine. Many students have impressive credentials - AOA, Ivy League, etc. and research experience, great LORs, etc. are getting more and more commonplace. It's probably still not as competitive to match into the less known programs BUT the word is getting out fast. And honestly, DOs match just as well as MDs in PM&R - or so it seems. (There are probably some who would disagree - but this isn't about DO vs MD) Foreign Medical Grads seem to be having a MUCH harder time even getting rotations at competitive programs (and that includes those from Ross) - whether it be americans training elsewhere, or individuals from other countries - and although Ross may be AAMC accredited, it's still considered "foreign" by many PDs.

I don't want to give false hope - I think you do have to be realistic. BUT I also don't want you to give up your dreams without trying. It may be a consideration to apply to two specialties - perhaps PM&R and family medicine or internal medicine (field with more spots). Just don't tell anyone you are doing so. (The NYU PD told us a story about how an applicant was applying to not two but THREE specialties and didn't bother to hide the fact that PM&R was NOT his first choice specialty.)

So sure, there are people who manage to match after failing, not doing so well, etc. in almost any field - but that's not to say that is common and there may have been aspects of their applications that over-rode the negatives.

Yes, that is true! PM&R has gotten MUCH more difficult to get into! Just look on my website at the % of unmatched PM&R students in the 2004 year! I'll have 2005 posted soon.

Word definately has got out about it. I guess it's the Plenty of Money and Relaxation thing...haha! I laughed when I first heard that one.

actually my friend told me two days ago his schedule (as a resident!) is 8-8:30 to about 3:30-4:30P, with home call and no weekends! my goodness!

axm397 said:
The problem is PM&R is getting more competitive and what may have once been an OK score is no longer fine. Many students have impressive credentials - AOA, Ivy League, etc. and research experience, great LORs, etc. are getting more and more commonplace. It's probably still not as competitive to match into the less known programs BUT the word is getting out fast. And honestly, DOs match just as well as MDs in PM&R - or so it seems. (There are probably some who would disagree - but this isn't about DO vs MD) Foreign Medical Grads seem to be having a MUCH harder time even getting rotations at competitive programs (and that includes those from Ross) - whether it be americans training elsewhere, or individuals from other countries - and although Ross may be AAMC accredited, it's still considered "foreign" by many PDs.

I don't want to give false hope - I think you do have to be realistic. BUT I also don't want you to give up your dreams without trying. It may be a consideration to apply to two specialties - perhaps PM&R and family medicine or internal medicine (field with more spots). Just don't tell anyone you are doing so. (The NYU PD told us a story about how an applicant was applying to not two but THREE specialties and didn't bother to hide the fact that PM&R was NOT his first choice specialty.)

So sure, there are people who manage to match after failing, not doing so well, etc. in almost any field - but that's not to say that is common and there may have been aspects of their applications that over-rode the negatives.

I agree with you completely. I was really blown away when on the interview trail at how competitive it was. I also agree that PM&R is not just about the numbers. Someone could have low #'s, but have research, well known LOR writers, etc. and be fine to match.

I also think the interview itself is a bit underrated by applicants. I think it is tempting to regard interviews as a formality, when in fact a lot rides on them.

macman said:
I agree with you completely. I was really blown away when on the interview trail at how competitive it was. I also agree that PM&R is not just about the numbers. Someone could have low #'s, but have research, well known LOR writers, etc. and be fine to match.

I also think the interview itself is a bit underrated by applicants. I think it is tempting to regard interviews as a formality, when in fact a lot rides on them.

At my program, current residents can participate in the recruitment/interview process. We tour candidates around and they ask us questions. We also have lunch with the candidates and give them an opportunity to ask questions without attendings present.

Over the last couple years, the quality of candidates have been outstanding!!!--> As documented on their applications! The current residents give their input and actually fill out evaluation forms for each candidate they meet. These evaluation forms are then reviewed by the selection committee and taken into consideration (I dont know how much) when ranking.

Yes, board scores are important, research is important, letters are important and even schools you went to are looked at. However, the most important thing that's consider is how you put all your experiences together and sell yourself on interview day as a soon-to-be PHYSIATRIST. You could have all the sought after credentials, but if you flop on interview day (do not show enthusiasm, do not have a shining personality, don't show genuine interest in PM&R) you will not likely match. Remember, most people think of physiatrists as being "touchy-feely"- kinda like pediatricians, "good leaders", great communicators, patient advocates, AND "PERSONABLE"- for the most part.... If you do not have some, or all, of these characteristics I am sure that many programs will find someone else in the "competitive" applicant pool who demonstrates them on interview day.