17 Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the Kaplan diagonistic test and along with most of the people in the calss made a 17.

The highest was by an older guy who graduated from MIT (his was 20). Is this normal? Do they make these harder than the real MCAt so they can say they really raised your score?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you search for some old threads you will see plenty of people in the teens and low 20's who improve a lot. I'm surprised the highest score in your class was only 20, but I guess everyone needs some practice. Definitely the lower you start at the easier it will be to improve since you probably haven't reiewed anything yet. Now, if you have already started reviewing and you got a 17, you might be in trouble.

Some people like to think that they purposely make it harder so that you'll get scared into taking their review course. I think Kaplan (like EK and probably TPR) make all their practice tests and review questions harder than the real thing so you'll be better prepared. If you're only going to review 1000 questions for the MCAT, you'll get more out of it if all 1000 questions are 'hard'. Reviewing easy questions is a waste of time--you could solve them before you took the course and dont need their help for it.

PS To anwer your questions, I havent taken Kaplan, but I'm suuuure they make it harder than the real thing. Still, your score on the first full-length mact you take is always a good indicator of how much work you have ahead of you.

Don't sweat it. I scored a 22 on the kaplan diagnostic and then scored MUCH better on the actual test. Everyone I took my kaplan course with scored somewhere between 12-24 on the diagnostic so I think its definitely normal. Just study hard. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
My diagnostic was 20 and all my practice tests were in the low 30's. I am still waiting to see how the real thing went though. The diagnostic is hard because you haven't been exposed to the test format and aren't really anywhere near serious yet. Don't worry, this is just to scare you a little.

yeah i got a 22 as well on the diagnostic but did a lot better on the real thing. I think its just that you need to review the material. Dont worry about it.