17 alpha hydroxylase def and aldosterone level

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why you would get low/normal aldosterone in 17 alpha hydroxylase def? I think it should give rather high aldosterone since the metabolic flux will be increased due to the blockage of conversion of pregneneolone to 17-hydroxypregnenolone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since the precursors of aldosterone are weak mineralcorticoids (corticosterone etc.), their elevation causes a weak aldosterone like effect and therefore your body does not need to make as much aldosterone.

Can anyone explain why you would get low/normal aldosterone in 17 alpha hydroxylase def? I think it should give rather high aldosterone since the metabolic flux will be increased due to the blockage of conversion of pregneneolone to 17-hydroxypregnenolone.

Agree with the poster above me. It's due to aldosterone's weak MC effect. And the fact that it increases volume expansion which ultimately suppresses RAAS, which pretty much acts as a negative inhibitor to further aldosterone secretion by the adrenals. Review the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and that should further clarify things a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had an Rx question on this and in the explanation it stated that mineralcorticoids were increased, specifically aldosterone.

So I have no idea which way to think.

I just had an Rx question on this and in the explanation it stated that mineralcorticoids were increased, specifically aldosterone.

So I have no idea which way to think.

UpToDate clearly states that aldosterone and renin are suppressed in 17-hydroxylase deficiency.