15 vs 13 inch macbook pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPedigree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a laptop for school. I have always had a 13 inch and loved it, but woulnd't mind upgrading to the new 15 inch MBP. The reason for this is I am going away for school and don't plan to get a TV or anything, so any sports games/netflix/youtube will be watched on this computer in addition to all my studying being done on it as well, so maybe the larger screen will be nice because of that.

I don't mind the big size of the computer or weight all that much, because it is still only 4 pounds and it's really not as big as I thought it would be after playing around with it in the apple store.

I was planning on getting a 27 inch external monitor too and connecting my laptop to it during at home studying. My predicament is why get a 15 inch if I'll be using an external display a lot of the time anyways? I guess because I also plan to do a lot of library studying so that's where a 15 inch would make a difference. I also value the portability of the 13 inch. But also, in the back of my mind, I think if I get the 15 inch, maybe I will adjust to it and that could hurt me, because my exams and boards will likely be on a 13 inch monitor.

Also, price is not an issue. I ended up applying to 15 less schools than I wanted to (burnout and was getting early interviews), so I have a ton of extra cash to splurge. Also if it makes a difference, I have a surface tablet I plan to use for notes.

Any input would be really nice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually had this same issue last month and ended up with buying the old 15 for $1999... the new Pros have a really annoying keyboard (go to the store to try it if you have not)... it is kind of loud and annoying when you are in the library and when you get something under the keyboard, you have to go to apple to get it removed. the old 15 has amazing hard ware, but it is kind of heavy and it also does not come in space grey... i would recommend the 15 if the new keyboard annoys you... if you have no issues with it, probably the 13 pro is better for the sake of mobility

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'd get the 13. 15, even if thin and light is just too bulky to carry around every day.

I actually had this same issue last month and ended up with buying the old 15 for $1999... the new Pros have a really annoying keyboard (go to the store to try it if you have not)... it is kind of loud and annoying when you are in the library and when you get something under the keyboard, you have to go to apple to get it removed. the old 15 has amazing hard ware, but it is kind of heavy and it also does not come in space grey... i would recommend the 15 if the new keyboard annoys you... if you have no issues with it, probably the 13 pro is better for the sake of mobility
Thanks! Hopefully you got the student discount, it saves $200 on your model.

13 is perfect. It is mobile, light, and it fits on the ridiculously small lecture hall tables at my school. Plus, less people can see whats on your computer screen (trust me). In terms of power, macbook pro 13 is more than enough to do everything except game.

The 15" is a monster in terms of power, absolutely overkill for medical school purposes. Your money would be better spent on a 13" + an external monitor (dual purpose of increasing productivity for studying and being able to use it to watch netflix)

I have a MacBook Pro 13" with a 27" LED monitor at home and I would highly recommend it. 13" works fine in a dual monitor set up, and I think the smaller size is a plus for when I'm not at home.

13” MacBook Pro. Have one, love it, spend the extra $$$ on an iPad Pro w Apple Pencil. Game changer

The 15 has what plants crave it has electrolytes

Reactions: 1 users
unless it is the 2015 model i don't recommend the newest macs.