This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morespaghettiplz

Reaction score
. Thank you for input! Got a great scholarship offer that negates this convo lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah if you're prioritizing happiness and QOL, go with the P/F and no AOA at WashU. Grading in clinical year absolutely sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, congratulations these are amazing choices!! The P/F, no AOA, and 1.5 years preclinical are great pros that will likely make your life so much less stressful in school hopefully. Additionally, WashU is one of the most reputable schools of these choices and one of the top in the nation in addition to St. Louis being a very affordable city with on-campus housing options. It seems like St. Louis/ MO is in the top 10 of most states for the highest overall physician salary.

I went to undergrad right next to the WashU med campus and the area is very nice and everything is connected/ just a few blocks from Forest Park which is awesome. Maybe I am biased because WashU was my dream school but I wish you the best whatever you choose!

Disclaimers: biased bc I went to Umich undergrad and loved it. WL at WashU but withdrawing and choosing to stay here at Michigan. Don't know much about Northwestern to comment.
UMich-Ann Arbor
  • Graded Clinicals (H/HP/P/F) + AOA
Don't know if you know the recent update, clinical will no longer be graded on a bell curve and rather competency based so there will be no cut offs for H/HP/P/F and technically everybody could get the same grade.
  • 1 year preclinical seems a bit short and I got the sense that students don't have tons of flexibility to do long-term longitudinal research
Talking to students (M3/M4 who are on the other side now, not necessarily M1s who are in general stressed at every school) it seems that this is what students love the most. They rave about the extra time in third and froth year which allows you to do extra away rotations or internships and if you are a research person you can use the extra time for research too. Idk why you have heard longitudinal research is not encouraged, because we are main campus not only are the medical related labs open to us but also basic science labs.

That said WashU's 1.5 year preclinical is not so different and it's reasonable if you prefer a couple month extra and still have enough time to take advantage of early end to preclinical. I feel like you should weigh your WashU cons (how much will Missouri's politics hinder you medical school training, is family support something you will miss, etc) carefully and see how much they matter to you because it seems like WashU gives you most of the things you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user