This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capybaracarbonara

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Previous advice

Where were your interviews from last cycle? Are there significant improvements?
This’ll be my first cycle. I asked last year because I was debating on applying without any gap years but ended up waiting. My improvements were adding an extra non clinical activity, shadowing, and more hours in my other activities. Only drawback is my publication may not be done in time. Sorry for the confusion!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an IE resident or do you have ties to this region or are you NorCal? You should be competitive for most schools within your stat range. School list looks great, only a few comments on it.

Harvard
Hopkins
UPenn
Columbia
Duke
Stanford
UCSF
Vanderbilt
WashU
Cornell
NYU
Yale
Mayo
Northwestern
UMich
UPitt
Sinai
UCLA
UChicago
UCSD
USC
BU
Brown
Einstein
UCI
UMass?
Dartmouth
UC Davis -- are you NorCal or SoCal?
Georgetown
Tufts
GW?
SUNY downstate
Thomas Jefferson?
Rutgers
UCR -- are you IE or ties to IE?

Could add:
Hofstra
UMiami
USF Morsani
Kaiser
NYMC
Emory
UVA
Rochchester

I'm in SoCal but no ties to the IE. Thanks for your feedback! To find schools I'd be competitive for in my stat range should I just look at medians on the MSAR?

Could I ask for your reasoning for adding/removing certain schools?
Sure! George Washington is a low yield school and your stats are likely to get you yield protected from there anyways (Their median is 511). Rutgers and SUNY are out-of-state public schools that accept a low fraction of those who do not claim residency in-state or have significant ties.

I think you should remove UCR (Yield protection/no ties to IE and plus they have had a disorganized cycle this year) and UCD (they ask for Nor-Cal ties in the secondary). I think you have a higher chance of getting into UCLA/UCI/UCSD/UCSF with your profile.

Hofstra: Likes high stats.
UMiami: Private school in your stat range, research.
USF Morsani: Likes high stats/more OOS friendly public school.
Kaiser: Private school in your stat range. I changed my mind on this one. Probably not worth applying to since its not going to be free anymore.
NYMC: Mid-Tier that you would have a decent chance at with your profile. Probably an overshoot, on second look, as you are above the 90th percentile of their MCAT.
Emory: Private school in your stat range. They also like students coming from prestigious backgrounds.
UVA: More friendly OOS public school. Likes high stats/research.
Rochchester: Private school in your stat range. Likes research.

Including the schools I added and minus the ones I don't think you should apply to, this totals 37. Faha recommends about 35 to avoid secondary burnout. I'd remove NYMC, Kaiser, and maybe a few of the T20's you aren't so fond of.

Yes, explore MSAR. It will help you a lot. Look at the requirements. You might not be eligible to apply to a school because of letter recommendations, course requirements, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Sure! George Washington is a low yield school and your stats are likely to get you yield protected from there anyways (Their median is 511). Rutgers and SUNY are out-of-state public schools that accept a low fraction of those who do not claim residency in-state or have significant ties.

I think you should remove UCR (Yield protection/no ties to IE and plus they have had a disorganized cycle this year) and UCD (they ask for Nor-Cal ties in the secondary). I think you have a higher chance of getting into UCLA/UCI/UCSD/UCSF with your profile.

Hofstra: Likes high stats.
UMiami: Private school in your stat range, research.
USF Morsani: Likes high stats/more OOS friendly public school.
Kaiser: Private school in your stat range. I changed my mind on this one. Probably not worth applying to since its not going to be free anymore.
NYMC: Mid-Tier that you would have a decent chance at with your profile. Probably an overshoot, on second look, as you are above the 90th percentile of their MCAT.
Emory: Private school in your stat range. They also like students coming from prestigious backgrounds.
UVA: More friendly OOS public school. Likes high stats/research.
Rochchester: Private school in your stat range. Likes research.

Including the schools I added and minus the ones I don't think you should apply to, this totals 37. Faha recommends about 35 to avoid secondary burnout. I'd remove NYMC, Kaiser, and maybe a few of the T20's you aren't so fond of.

Yes, explore MSAR. It will help you a lot. Look at the requirements. You might not be eligible to apply to a school because of letter recommendations, course requirements, etc.
Awesome thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I'm really scared of the yield protection that you mention. Does getting yield protected mean I have a good chance at a T20?

Awesome thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I'm really scared of the yield protection that you mention. Does getting yield protected mean I have a good chance at a T20?
Not by itself (just means you're stats are T20 tier). Still need the ECs to boot.

Reactions: 1 users
It means you're pack fodder for top-20 schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Tough talk from wysdoc: @capybaracarbonara, honestly, take the advice of the experienced and seasoned advisors on SDN who have given you school list advice several times. Obsessively rehashing the same question is wasting your time, which you could be using thinking about what to write on your essays.

Reactions: 2 users
Tough talk from wysdoc: @capybaracarbonara, honestly, take the advice of the experienced and seasoned advisors on SDN who have given you school list advice several times. Obsessively rehashing the same question is wasting your time, which you could be using thinking about what to write on your essays.
Fair enough. I’m really sorry!

Fair enough. I’m really sorry!
I didn't mean you should delete everything you've written! :unsure:
Just that you have advice to work with and now it's time to craft your application essays.
You can even choose a few schools you are sure you want to apply to when you first submit your app and then add more after researching to see if others fit your goals.

I didn't mean you should delete everything you've written! :unsure:
Just that you have advice to work with and now it's time to craft your application essays.
You can even choose a few schools you are sure you want to apply to when you first submit your app and then add more after researching to see if others fit your goals.
Gotcha. I really appreciate your advice. Just after reading your comment, I realized you were right and I was being too obsessive about this. So I decided to delete my post to avoid wasting others’ times. Sorry for my misunderstanding, though!