This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uzi

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Couple of questions:
Why aren’t you a resident of the state where you attend college/filed taxes for the paid positions?
What tier college do/did you attend?
Do you have access to pre-health advising at your college who can advise you regarding disclosure of the IA?

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Boston University
Tufts
UMass
Brown
Dartmouth
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Temple
George Washington
Georgetown
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
TCU
St. Louis
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Mayo
Kaiser

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you check which schools accept Canadians!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think it would be worth a shot to apply to some of these schools? I believe I have a pretty strong PS and LORs which could help. Moreover, my only relatives in the US are in California and it is the state where my father used to live so idk if this would help for UC schools. I would greatly appreciate your input about these schools.

UCLA
UCSF
Harvard
Stanford
Cornell
Yale
Keck
Columbia
UIC
You could try UIC but your GPAs are on the low side for the others and UCLA and UCSF have an instate preference. Also some schools may average your MCAT scores.

I have a very minor IA for discussing a take-home assignment with my twin brother which resulted in us having some similar answers. I committed this at the beginning of second year. This has been removed from my academic history but I plan on disclosing it.
Tell me more about this. I presume your brother was also taking the class? What sanction did your brother receive? Why was it not allowed to discuss your assignment with other classmates, and why didn't your brother stop you?

Why has the sanction been removed from your academic record? What did you do to show contrition and remediation?

How did you both wind up in a Canadian uni and not grow up in the US? (I think you explained, but I wanted clarification.)

Note: Except for shadowing, I don't regard activities with fewer than 50 hours.

Do you believe it would be worthwhile to apply to these schools or not ? And how much of an effect do you think my IA would have? Will what I did after my IA show contrition and remediation for adcoms?
Is your brother also applying? Same school list? What does your student conduct office say about your IA?

My brother is also applying but likely to different schools, with some schools in common. My conduct office said that the IA has been removed from my record but will stay in my school's internal record. It wont appear on any of my transcripts but I have decided to disclose it regardless unless it gets removed from the internal record which is very unlikely.
How will it be described in a "conduct dean's letter" where the school you are admitted asks for a certification of your conduct record?

How is your brother going to describe this situation?

I am not quite sure how it will be described within the internal record if they ask for my conduct record or if it will even show up, it is something I am still trying to look into. I have asked before and they only gave me a brief answer saying that it was only noted that I have an academic misconduct committed. I am trying to set up a meeting with my dean to help clarify this. In regards to my brother he will be describing the situation in pretty much the same way I did as it was the exact same case for him.
Okay. Your work with your institutional honour committee (or whatever it's called) will be helpful. Be serious about it, and make sure you are clear with integrity expectations.

I don't think the IA will doom your application, but work with the student conduct administrators for any description of the matter.

And don't schedule common interview days with your brother.

Will do! Do you have think my IA would hinder my chances at T20s and what school would you suggest I apply to with this being considered?
Your GPA may be more a hindrance at the top brand schools due to their application pool averages. I'm certain you know not all IAs are the same; so do we.

Again, balance the service experience against your research (which may not even be discussed in your interviews).

Will do! Do you have think my IA would hinder my chances at T20s and what school would you suggest I apply to with this being considered?
I suggest you stop focusing on "top 20's", for which your GPA is low, and just focus on getting into a medical school.

Do you believe I would have some success at MD schools if I apply this year or would a gap year be beneficial? Is there anything in my app that I am lacking or should work on?
You have been given a list from @Faha. You should determine your mission fit and alignment with the schools at least on the suggested list. If you want to add, ask us if your reasoning is sound.