This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1181106

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s variable from the standpoint that you can choose where you want to take call and if it’s at a level 1 trauma center vs. level 2, or 3.

If you choose an academic career you may take call at multiple hospitals and alternate days/weeks of trauma with plastics and/or ENT. I have PP friends who have negotiated very good deals with hospitals so they have the best of both worlds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked at a corporate dental office as the only surgeon for a whole metro area. During that time, I had hospital privileges at a place that did not require any on call for the emergency room (dental infections, facial trauma). They only required you to be available for your patients if you admitted someone. And the general dentists would answer questions if I was off for the office.

I also worked at an IHS facility/hospital/dental clinic where taking a week of call a month was standard, and that meant being available to come in at anytime during that 7 day span if paged (facial fractures, car wrecks, dental infections), and that meant responding within 15 minutes and going to the hospital immediately if needed (even in the middle of the night).

Now I work in private practice, and a handful of times each year I have a week where I answer my phone for several different surgery offices if the patients need questions answered after hours. I do not work in the hospital anymore. I have not gotten a phone call in the middle of the night.

I know other surgeons who never want to do hospital stuff and only answer the phone if their own patients need something. Usually there is a call service that takes the initial phone call for you, and then relays that message to you.

YOU have control over what call you want, within reason. If you get hospital privileges, you usually have to follow their guidelines.

Reactions: 1 users
My colleague has privileges at a hospital that has an OMFS fellowship program, so the fellows and their attendings take all of the call for the hospital. Having privileges allows you to work in that hospital. It doesn't always require you work there for any number of procedures or days. You have to maintain hospital privileges to become and stay board certified. You never have to operate in a hospital if you don't want. Again, my colleague is board certified, with hospital privileges, and has not done an operating room procedure in years.

I know dual degree (DDS, MD) surgeons who work at a corporate dental office (think Aspen, Gentle Dental, Pacific Dental) and they do 'bread and butter' oral surgery. That means taking out teeth, placing implants, and doing IV sedations. None of those things require ever setting foot in a hospital. Although as a surgeon you train to do orthognathic surgery, cleft lip and palate, trauma, dentoalveolar, TMJ, cosmetic, pathology... I would say a large number of surgeons do bread and butter surgery. It is up to you what you want to do. You want to be the guy or gal that is the best in the country for head and neck cancer? DO IT. You just want to take out teeth and place implants? People need that service and not all dentists want to do it. Respect to all those who make it through residency. Then do what makes you happy. Working in a hospital is great. But I started a family and didn't want to go in and round on patients on the weekends, or get called to drain a neck infection in the middle of the night. So I am bread and butter now.

When you apply for hospital privileges, there will be bylaws/regulations that state whether call is required or not. It might be as simple as covering OMFS call for at least 20 days a year. And that is usually paid at a daily rate or if per call. Call is not required, but if your patients have issues after hours or on weekends, be there for them.

Reactions: 1 user
Until recently, I was under the impression that the average oral surgeon could expect to take as much call as any other surgeon after residency (so much that it becomes an impediment to having a family, pursuing projects outside of work, getting enough sleep). I found out that while they almost always have to take call if they desire hospital privileges and board certification, it’s supposedly not enough to prevent them from having the relatively predictable schedule associated with other dental specialties, being available for family, scheduling and performing non-hospital procedures, etc. I am interested in better understanding what is expected of most oral surgeons as far as call is concerned, so can anyone shed some light here? I can't seem to find any clear information regarding when ordinary oral surgeons take call (is it during certain parts of the year that they can plan for in advance or do hospitals dictate when they take call?), how long they're on call for (e.g. a week at a time? a month at a time? all the time?), and how often they take call (e.g. nine times per year, with the duration of call lasting one month?). Thanks for reading.
I agree with the variability, depending on your region that you plan to practice. More rural areas, if you obtain hospital privileges (and you should) may require you to take more call. Metropolitan areas tend to have more physicians sharing the call. I would say from experience, if you can afford to take it, and you enjoy trauma, take it. If for anything, your face will be seen at your local ED and this is great for your practice from a marketing standpoint, secondly when you do more cases in the OR trauma-wise the operating room personal and your fellow doctors will get to know you as well. This is all free marketing for your office. In my day, and still in my present position as an instructor in a residency program, call time is not reimbursed, this has changed over the years and you may be able to negotiate compensation for the days you are on call. I guess I am biased, trauma is a staple of OMS, and its your chance to shine compared to a lot of other competing specialties, take advantage of that. My 2 cents, well maybe more like a buck and a 1/4. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Reactions: 8 users