This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iowa (Carver) vs Dartmouth (Geisel)

• Iowa

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Dartmouth

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raahi

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed (in-person) at Iowa and virtually at Dartmouth. I agree that these schools are very similar that you honestly cant go wrong between the two. However, given what you have said, I would probably go with Iowa all things considered. I agree that the H/HP/P/F is a huge con, but talking with students most say that most people dont stress over getting an H and said getting HP/P is totally acceptable. I felt the vibes were good at Iowa and the students seemed very happy. Dartmouth didn't give me those same feelings and unless the access to nature/being in NH is really where your priorities lie, I think Iowa all the way. Congrats on your acceptances!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Dartmouth is very LGBTQ+ friendly and aware.

Pay attention to the state political environment. NH is likely to be more supportive compared to Iowa, if you want to be involved in advocacy. Culture shock will happen if you are far away from home, but you shouldn't be afraid of going to school.

Ticks or bedbugs? Ugh.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. There are Asian and Indian grocery stores (and restaurants) within a short drive from Dartmouth.
2. Spray your shoes and clothes with permethrin before you hike, and the ticks will leave you alone (I am totally tick-phobic, too!)

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Just finished my first semester at Iowa and can confirm that no one really cares about preclinical grades, though it's still something that kinda sits in the back of your head while studying. One thing to note about the graded preclinicals is that there is no curve, meaning that as long as you score above a certain threshold (usually 90%) you will honor. OP, feel free to pm me if you have any questions; I absolutely love it here and I'm also ORM OOS (from the Mid-Atlantic).

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your input everyone!

I didn't know about point 1 lol... would you be able to lmk which ones they are? I'm having trouble finding them haha thank you!!
I remembered some places across the river, so I did a search for “asian grocery/ Indian grocery near Dartmouth”

Reactions: 1 user
I vote iowa. cheaper COL (my guess) and tuition, nobody (PDs) care about your preclinical grades, and all of academia (from my perspective) is progressive and will be more than willing to promote and nourish your goals regarding the LGBTQ+ community

Reactions: 1 users