This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouclockin

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Is there anything in particular I should say? And if they want to rescind it, is there anything I can do to alleviate any concern?
This is my top choice school and if I had known this was required, I would’ve told them from the getgo. But I don’t want them to think I was trying to keep it from them :/

Don't automatically believe your school. It's to their benefit to know everything, but it doesn't mean it's your legal obligation to tell them. It doesn't matter if the form says you're swearing on a stack of Bibles and the baby Jesus that you didn't do anything ever. You should contact an attorney and ask them directly if you're obligated to answer yes. If you're not, the lawyer may tell you it's okay not to say anything. Even if it's just a little bit of weed, there's boomers who will say you purposely lied and are a druggie. Don't risk your acceptance if you don't have to

Don't automatically believe your school. It's to their benefit to know everything, but it doesn't mean it's your legal obligation to tell them. It doesn't matter if the form says you're swearing on a stack of Bibles and the baby Jesus that you didn't do anything ever. You should contact an attorney and ask them directly if you're obligated to answer yes. If you're not, the lawyer may tell you it's okay not to say anything. Even if it's just a little bit of weed, there's boomers who will say you purposely lied and are a druggie. Don't risk your acceptance if you don't have to
Thank you. I’m more so concerned about rotations and eventually ERAS as well. Wouldn’t I risk getting expelled if I wasn’t able to get into rotations and/or complete them?
I’m just not sure why they’d even put it in the handbook but not ask in the secondary. I want to be transparent but I’m honestly just really unsure of what strategy to take.

Thank you. I’m more so concerned about rotations and eventually ERAS as well. Wouldn’t I risk getting expelled if I wasn’t able to get into rotations and/or complete them?
I’m just not sure why they’d even put it in the handbook but not ask in the secondary. I want to be transparent but I’m honestly just really unsure of what strategy to take.
The same thing applies to your rotations and ERAS. The only people that may have to view your record are state licensing boards. As I mentioned previously, consult all this with an attorney. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd give the school as little information as legally possible. If an attorney told me not to disclose anything, I wouldn't disclose it. Never volunteer personal information. Like I said, this can range from "lets dismiss this applicant because I'm a boomer" to absolutely nothing. The risk is high in my opinion, and even just to avoid the label of "pot head" among school officials is something I would do. What if you fail a class and need to go to the remediation board and they have on their file you're a pot head? They could covertly dismiss you for the class even though it might be a general perception of you. Again, do NOT volunteer information unless you are told by an attorney that you should or that you have to

The same thing applies to your rotations and ERAS. The only people that may have to view your record are state licensing boards. As I mentioned previously, consult all this with an attorney. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd give the school as little information as legally possible. If an attorney told me not to disclose anything, I wouldn't disclose it. Never volunteer personal information. Like I said, this can range from "lets dismiss this applicant because I'm a boomer" to absolutely nothing. The risk is high in my opinion, and even just to avoid the label of "pot head" among school officials is something I would do. What if you fail a class and need to go to the remediation board and they have on their file you're a pot head? They could covertly dismiss you for the class even though it might be a general perception of you. Again, do NOT volunteer information unless you are told by an attorney that you should or that you have to
Yeah, I understand the not telling them information they didn’t directly asked for. I guess I’m wondering if a hospital to rotate at for example were to maybe see the charge, couldn’t they outright dismiss me for failing to inform them? At what point could I use a lawyer to keep my seat?

Yeah, I understand the not telling them information they didn’t directly asked for. I guess I’m wondering if a hospital to rotate at for example were to maybe see the charge, couldn’t they outright dismiss me for failing to inform them? At what point could I use a lawyer to keep my seat?
My understanding is that nobody can just run a background check on you like that. I don't think individual rotations ever ran one on me? But again, I'm not in your shoes. This is why I suggest you talk to a lawyer. If the lawyer says you don't have to disclose, you don't disclose. If they find out an try to dismiss you, they will be legally liable because you followed the law while they tried to make rules to circumvent it

My understanding is that nobody can just run a background check on you like that. I don't think individual rotations ever ran one on me? But again, I'm not in your shoes. This is why I suggest you talk to a lawyer. If the lawyer says you don't have to disclose, you don't disclose. If they find out an try to dismiss you, they will be legally liable because you followed the law while they tried to make rules to circumvent it
Okay, this makes sense. Thank you. I will reach out to a lawyer and go according to what they say. If a lawyer does say that I must disclose, how do you suggest going about doing so to not get my acceptance rescinded?

Okay, this makes sense. Thank you. I will reach out to a lawyer and go according to what they say. If a lawyer does say that I must disclose, how do you suggest going about doing so to not get my acceptance rescinded?
Ask the attorney things such as:
1. Do I have to disclose this?
2. Who do I have to disclose this to?
3. What are the consequences of disclosing versus not?
4. What impact does your record have on getting a medical license? My guess is zero

If you have to disclose, the things people want to generally hear are

1. You take responsibility for things
2. How did it impact you
3. Why didn't you disclose things earlier?
4. Can you be licensed with this?

So I'd open the letter with saying you need to disclose this and explaining how the primary and secondary didn't have it, but you did see it in the handbook. You should tell your story and take full responsibility. You tell them how this impacted you. For example, you can say that you were immature before and then you turned your life around (if this applies to you) or whatever other impact this had. Then you can say that luckily something like this won't prevent you from getting licensed (if you have been told so by a lawyer). Then close by profusely apologizing for any inconvenience and welcoming them to discuss it further if they want or that you can forward legal record showing it's dismissed

Ask the attorney things such as:
1. Do I have to disclose this?
2. Who do I have to disclose this to?
3. What are the consequences of disclosing versus not?
4. What impact does your record have on getting a medical license? My guess is zero

If you have to disclose, the things people want to generally hear are

1. You take responsibility for things
2. How did it impact you
3. Why didn't you disclose things earlier?
4. Can you be licensed with this?

So I'd open the letter with saying you need to disclose this and explaining how the primary and secondary didn't have it, but you did see it in the handbook. You should tell your story and take full responsibility. You tell them how this impacted you. For example, you can say that you were immature before and then you turned your life around (if this applies to you) or whatever other impact this had. Then you can say that luckily something like this won't prevent you from getting licensed (if you have been told so by a lawyer). Then close by profusely apologizing for any inconvenience and welcoming them to discuss it further if they want or that you can forward legal record showing it's dismissed
Thank you so so much! I truly appreciate this. I’ll get in touch with someone first thing tomorrow.